PDA

View Full Version : Peter "Peter Rabbit" Linhart-Phil. PA

Mike
08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Some of you probably know Peter Rabbit from Philadelphia and probably are not aware that he's in a hospice with brain cancer. He will most likely spent his remaining days at this facility. I spoke to his nurse today and due to his medication he sleeps quite a bit but is still alert and goes down to the dinning room daily. I'm sure he would like a few cards and letters from old friends. The address is:

Peter Linhart
Room 404-A
Cheltenham Nursing Home (1-215-927-7300)
6th & Cheltenham Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19126

"The Rabbit" was quite a colorful character with many good one-liners and chatter as he played. His matches with his friend, Joe Veasey, (who also is suffering from cancer) were something to see and will always be remembered. I've known Rabbit for many years and he's always been a class act.

fred bentivegna
08-05-2005, 07:24 AM
It shows you how misleading the pool grapevine can be, I had heard months ago that the Rabbit had died, and before that, that Joe Veasey had died. It's good to hear that the Rabbit is still around, but sad that he is so sick. The Rabbit finished off my pool room education when he woke me up to the intricacies of handling and procuring backers. He was a genius in that area. One day I'll pass on his insights, they changed my pool career. He was at the top of his game when he lived with Bunny Rogoff and Bunny's brother Sol, in South Beach Miami. A very funny man, especially when he was losing. We will miss him when he goes.
the Beard

Mike
08-05-2005, 09:51 AM
You're right about the Rabbit and getting backers--he was a genius at it. He's a funny guy and one time he had a T-shirt made up with "Backer Wanted" printed on the back. Because of the track he was always on the short end in the cash department. I've lent me money many times and always got paid. One time after a loan I hadn't seen him in couple of years and was playing in a room in South Jersey. The Rabbit walked in, looked around, and came straight over to me. In his hand he had a list and my name was on it. He reached in his pocket, paid me off, crossed off my name, and was out the door looking for the next person. I don't think he was there 30 seconds. He had a million stories and loved spinning the ball on certain shots and trick shots.

BTW, you book is very educational and great reading!

OldHasBeen
08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
I was around him in Philly, St. Louis & Detroit. At all 3, he had the whole room in laughter at one time or another. I never heard the same story twice. Buddy once told me that Peter Rabbit was as good a BiteMan as Cornbread.
Of course, Rabbit asked, Red demanded.

TY & GL

fred bentivegna
08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
This is an excerpt from my next book, The GosPool According To The Beard:

Bobby Strauss was party to a tremendous reversal of fortune when he played Peter "Rabbit" Linhardt of Philadelphia at the Congress Bowl in North Miami, FL. They were playing, best 2 out of 3, One Pocket for $200 dollars a set. They were playing even-up. Rabbit, as usual, was getting staked to play and was "strumming" Strauss. Rabbit won the first 18 out of 19 games played and was 9 sets and $1800 ahead. It was now about 6 am, and Rabbit's backer had to go to work, so he split up the money, giving Peter his share, $900. Rabbit wanted to quit and go home, but how could he justify quitting when he had only lost 1 game out of the last 19? The outcome was predictable. Rabbit, now betting his own money, lost 10 games in a row and the $900. He went so far as to stiff Strauss for the last $100 of the last bet. Strauss was justifiably upset. He had broke the Rabbit, but he was still stuck $900 and would now have to pay the time, since the Rabbit was empty. When asked how he could have possibly dogged it that bad betting his own money, Peter replied candidly, "I just feel naked without a backer."

ChollyMc
10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
With great sadness, I must report Peter (Rabbit) Linhart passed away several weeks ago in the Philadelphia hospice facility he had been in for several months. I was proud to be on the list of thousands that the Rab put the bite on and to call him my friend. He spent countless hours relating the tales of the road during the 40 years I knew him and I never tired of his stories. The pool world has lost one its classisest and most colorful characters. Upon hearing the news, I went home and read his book, "How to get by without working", and thought that here was a man who could fill volumes with his stories and yet they condensed it to less than 80 pages. Very sad. But then again how many pages will be written of us. Good Luck Peter!

100andout
10-28-2005, 03:53 PM
It shows you how misleading the pool grapevine can be, I had heard months ago that the Rabbit had died, and before that, that Joe Veasey had died. It's good to hear that the Rabbit is still around, but sad that he is so sick. The Rabbit finished off my pool room education when he woke me up to the intricacies of handling and procuring backers. He was a genius in that area. One day I'll pass on his insights, they changed my pool career. He was at the top of his game when he lived with Bunny Rogoff and Bunny's brother Sol, in South Beach Miami. A very funny man, especially when he was losing. We will miss him when he goes.
the Beard

Let's hear one Freddy!....I for one have never had a backer, except my wife, and if I were to lose her money, Oh man!...I'm not going there.....to say the least,....she's Sicilian....:)...Gerry

NH Steve
10-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I am really sorry to hear that :( I only recall meeting Rabbit once, in one of the Philly poolrooms were Veasey also hung out. I would be happy to add a memorial page for Rabbit here on OnePocket.org. Please send me a Personal Message or use the Contact Page (http://onepocket.org/contact_us.htm) if you can help me with information or photos.

I believe it was either he or Veasey that showed me the two rail kick shot like so:

START(
%Aq6E7%CC7F9%Hp6G1%Io1E0%Pp6Y1%Uo6Q2%VD9F0%[J6D3%\o2X6%]D0E6
%^I1C9%eA8`6%_D1[3%`D1R4%aD0G9
)END

With great sadness, I must report Peter (Rabbit) Linhart passed away several weeks ago in the Philadelphia hospice facility he had been in for several months. I was proud to be on the list of thousands that the Rab put the bite on and to call him my friend. He spent countless hours relating the tales of the road during the 40 years I knew him and I never tired of his stories. The pool world has lost one its classisest and most colorful characters. Upon hearing the news, I went home and read his book, "How to get by without working", and thought that here was a man who could fill volumes with his stories and yet they condensed it to less than 80 pages. Very sad. But then again how many pages will be written of us. Good Luck Peter!

fred bentivegna
10-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Goodbye Peter, we will all miss you. I hope you are now at a place where there are unlimited backers, the "bite light" is always on, and you can spin 'em in from everywhere.

Bank on Peter! Old school pool.
the Beard

BackPocket9Ball
10-29-2005, 10:08 AM
One day Rabbit was trying to get in a game with someone, and was trying to get a high-rolling friend of mine to back him in the game. Rabbit's line to convince him was, "C'mon, Carlos. I've made millionaires out of all my backers. Of course they were billionaires first!"

OldHasBeen
10-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I remember when we were in Detroit and he came in one night. There was a big game going on and there must have been 15 - 20 BIG backers hanging around and looking for players to steak. Paul & Freddy S. had everyone stuck.
Peter said - "I THINK I JUST DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN"!

FUNNY MAN

TY & GL

NH Steve
10-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Would this be Rabbit back in about 1971?

fred bentivegna
10-30-2005, 09:01 AM

That is definitely not the Rabbit. Looks familiar, but no Rabbit.
the Beard

NH Steve
10-30-2005, 09:09 AM
That is definitely not the Rabbit. Looks familiar, but no Rabbit.
the BeardThat picture is from the Stardust tournament publicity 'mug shots' from 1971 +/- and you were quite possibly there :)

I'll have to keep looking for a Peter Linhard photo...

BackPocket9Ball
10-31-2005, 07:16 AM
There is a picture of Rabbit in the "Shots, Moves & Strategies" book by Eddie Robin. It's shown as part of a story of a match between Pete Fusco and Kenny Romberg.

Also Tom Shaw of Pool & Billiards Magazine did a several page "Legends" article on Peter Rabbit back in 1998. I have his email address if you'd like to contact him.

OldHasBeen
10-31-2005, 04:54 PM

I remember this fellow but I can't place where or when I've seen him. It's not Rabbit. I think it may have been in Johnston City. I also seem to want to put him together with Hubert Cotes (Daddy Warbucks). I know he is a player and Straight Pool keeps popping up in my mind. It will probably hit me at 3 am and I'll sit up and come tell you who it is.

TY & GL

Jimmy
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Peter Linhard is on page 51 in Shots, Moves & Strategies.....