Learning to play Bank pool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitey, lll, & anyone else as well, Howdy;

Well, Started to see some (minuscule), improvement over yesterday's fiasco.
    Had a few 'good' shots go in the pockets a few Banks too. Nuttin' to write home
    about. Feels like I'm starting out all over again. Oh well, 9-Ball on Thursday,
    gots laundry to do tomorrow filter some of the unnecessary thoughts and other
    crap as well.

hank
    Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Comment

• Hank,
      Have you considered a coach! Whitey

Comment

• Whitey, Howdy;

Gotta do this with the help I'm getting here and my knowledge of me.

I've gone through this kind of rough time before, it's like watching paint dry.
        Takes awhile but gets there when it does. Also going through some medical
        stuff and having to deal with the VA.

As far as a coach goes I'd need to travel to either El Paso, Tx. (125 miles), or
        Albuquerque, N.M. (175 miles), the other direction. and I don't know if there is
        a coach in either location. From where I live ya gotta to somewhere else in
        order to get directions to anywhere else.

Out here we do Coyote Karaoke for sing alongs. I made a funny

hank

Comment

• Originally posted by hankh View Post
          Whitey, Howdy;

Gotta do this with the help I'm getting here and my knowledge of me.

I've gone through this kind of rough time before, it's like watching paint dry.
          Takes awhile but gets there when it does. Also going through some medical
          stuff and having to deal with the VA.

As far as a coach goes I'd need to travel to either El Paso, Tx. (125 miles), or
          Albuquerque, N.M. (175 miles), the other direction. and I don't know if there is
          a coach in either location. From where I live ya gotta to somewhere else in
          order to get directions to anywhere else.

Out here we do Coyote Karaoke for sing alongs. I made a funny

hank
          You are like us, we measure miles by hours. We can not tell you far it is to some place but we can tell you how long it takes to get there.
          You are getting there, just a bumpy road, we all are on it! Whitey

Comment

• Whitey, Howdy;

Thanks for understanding. Just need to dial in a tad more patience and chalk
            up and try that shot again and again and again until I get it right more then I
            get it wrong. Move on to the next shot.

hank

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Things (stroke, timing and accuracy), are beginning to behave again,
              Got 2ed at the Tues. 8-Ball and 1st today in 9-Ball. Banks when I needed
              them were either there or not quite there. Missing by less then 1/4 diamond,
              generally a lot less then that, misses that I can live with and only a slight
              growl barely audible...
              Patience, Practice and Perseverance eventually Pay-off.

As always, any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

hank

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Well, I'm almost back to normal, whatever that might be ... Spent the better
                part of an hour yesterday before the 9-ball tourney just shooting at the Diamonds.
                Just start here at this Diamond and see where the CB goes when I shoot at all
                the Diamonds on the other 3 rails. Interesting ... Then I just placed an OB at
                a spot along the rail and see what the path was to hit it, 2 rails, 3 rails and 4 rails.
                Playing connect the dots is really enlightening. Kinda like opening the blinds all
                the way after having them open only part way for the greatest part of my life.
                To early with this part of the learning cycle to see much of an improvement but
                I can definitely see the advantage to knowing this 'stuff'.

Thanks all for the thoughts & suggestions and please don't stop with'em.

hank

PS, I realize there are shots that can work using the rail in front of me, those shallow
                (stone skipping on water), type that go on to more rails. But I'm just seeing the rest
                first then I'll add the skipin' in awhile.
                Last edited by hankh; 08-02-2019, 12:17 PM. Reason: Add PS

Comment

• hank
                  just keep working and it will come
                  if there are certain shots/kicks/banks you want to understand/learn
                  post a diagram or describe them
                  whitey and i will try to help
                  i still recommend some time on grooving a reliable straight stroke so that you can hit where you are aiming with confidence.
                  here is a drill that i work on
                  put a ball on the spot and the cue ball in line from the corner to the side pocket
                  make the ball in the side pocket and follow the cue ball in for a scratch
                  larry

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

I use the "Lag" shot Lengthwise and Sideways. Gives me further practice in
                    staying down after the shot waiting for the CB to return to the cue tip. Also use
                    it for speed control by going up & down once, 1.5, 2, 2.5 & 3 times. granted the
                    CB likes to go sight-seeing on occasion but not that far and importantly not that
                    often, well not to far or often ...

Keep those cards an letters comin'

hank

Comment

• Howdy All;

been busy all last week and through the weekend. Saw a cue I liked the looks
                      of on E-bay. Went ahead and bought it. An older McDermott C model (C-6).
                      Came with 2 shafts. Dang them were chunky shafts Just at 14 mm each.
                      There is a really good Cue guy that lives in Alamogordo, NM. 100 + miles one
                      way. Called and he could give them a slimmer appearance Sunday. Also it had a
                      heavy Butt 18.08 oz. So, I found a place that was makin' their own weight bolts
                      for the older McD's. Ordered a 1/4 oz. bolt that also allows the bumper to screw
                      into it. It (bolt), arrived Sat, Cue arrived Friday and Sunday found me an it in
                      Alamogordo. The cue guy is Wes Hunter (Hunter Cues), and he was just fixin' to
                      glue in some inlays so I left the butt and shafts and went to lunch. By the time I
                      got back he had everything ready to go. Shafts now at 12.75 each and Butt
                      down to 16.83 oz. Still heavy but now has a nose heavy attitude. Something I'm
                      used to and today I spent the better part of an hour with each shaft and just
                      getting used to the feel of it. I LIKES IT , . Hits well, Hard an Soft hits.
                      Just need to change the wrap on it, Last owner used RED chalk , gone
                      from the shafts from the turning down. Gawd I truly wish they'd outlaw RED chalk.

Back to more practice tomorrow before 8-ball.

As always, suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

hank

Comment

• congrats on your cue hank
                        it probably is around 20 oz playing weight
                        i would be curious if you could measure the balance point in inches from the end of the butt
                        not that it makes a difference but i get into little things like that
                        fwiw most cues are between 18-19 inches from the butt
                        ( just to be clear 19 inches would make the cue more forward balanced than 18)
                        wes hunter is a very respected cue maker so you picked a great person to make the modifications for you
                        am i correct that you replaced the original weight bolt with the new weight bolt to lower the weight of the butt ?
                        once again
                        enjoy the cue and great shooting

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

Balance point is now 18.75" from base of butt cap. That's a forward shift of 1.625"
                          and the "feel" is definitely nose heavy and I am more happy with it that way. May
                          need a golf cart to tote it around ... but it works for me.

I did a post over on AZB in the ask the cue maker section if you want to read
                          through the whole process but I think I covered most of it in the post above.

hank

Comment

• Originally posted by hankh View Post
                            lll, Howdy;

Balance point is now 18.75" from base of butt cap. That's a forward shift of 1.625"
                            and the "feel" is definitely nose heavy and I am more happy with it that way. May
                            need a golf cart to tote it around ... but it works for me.

I did a post over on AZB in the ask the cue maker section if you want to read
                            through the whole process but I think I covered most of it in the post above.

hank
                            i went and read your thread on azb
                            nice to have a happy ending to a story....
                            enjoy your cue

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

yeah, it worked out nice, but it is still heavy. It may be going for another
                              ride soon. I used it for the 8-ball tourney yesterday and found I truly had to
                              modify my stroke to control the weight. Some of those soft finesse shots were
                              a bear to shoot. The cue wanted to skewer them like a ka-bob. Felt like I was
                              trying to hold it back rather then allowing it to glide through. So, back to my
                              primary until the next "bright shiny object" catches my eye.

hank

Comment

• On a 7' table a lighter cue can be a benefit, it gives you more feel and your stroke can be let out a little more. But sometimes the cb is heavy then it takes more force to draw the ball. I use a 16 oz. - 17 oz. for 7' Diamonds with regular cb. Strickland can only use about 10% of his stroke on a 7' Diamond with his cue. Whitey

Comment

Working...
                                X