Learning to play Bank pool question

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Do you have Brumback's DVD's? I mean he is the greatest living banker in my opinion, and he shares his secrets in his DVD's -- how can you go wrong?? He sometimes pops in here too :)
really liked this video not fantastic quality production but the information is super solid

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
catkins, Howdy;

really liked this video not fantastic quality production but the information is super solid

Yea, I've got John's (both of'em), and I've got both of Freddie's as well. Both have they own way of
explaining the shots, Freddie more technical, and using a more center ball approach and John's
with a slight "Touch of outside" or opposite if going to a back cut. Both work well so, I blend to see
what is working for me . Sometimes well, sometimes not so well... mileage varies but it's still a work
in progress.

hank

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was at a fellow pool friends house the other day, and I went to show him some twist banks, and I could not get the balls to even start to twist. His wife cleans the balls, so I just wonder if this caused the balls not to grab the spin. I very seldom clean my pool balls. If this makes a difference then I am feeling kind of bad in doing all those twist bank videos. I'll clean my pool balls and see how I can twist them.
Yeah, there are a lot of factors in cleaning pool balls, especially the type of cleaner used and the moisture content of the air where the table is. I use a product called Brillianize, which does a good job of cleaning/polishing, but after its use it takes a day or two for the balls to "break in". Until then the balls slide, or bank wide. Ironically it's easier to draw the CB, which I haven't quite figured out.

IMO the trickiest climate in terms of good results in cleaning pool balls is a humid one, like down here in the deep South. I've used one or two other cleaners with bad results, like automotive finish cleaners. I'm beginning to wonder if just good ole 409 cleaner might be as good as anything. I haven't tried it, but it seems to me that it would take the grit and grease off the balls without leaving a residue. I don't know what product they use in the average poolroom commercial cleaner.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Yea, dirty balls, the Canteen Mgr. Has yet to clean the tables other then a light brushing
once a month if he remembers and only cleans the balls when the General Membership
meeting is in session again, once a month. So, to normalize the balls I shoot a few racks
on both tables to get them back in shooting shape. I only used to shoot on 1 table and
get a good chuckle watching the others deal with slippery balls. Most of the grit, grime,
and other assorted crud gets picked-up in the return tracks due to static. Here it is the
opposite of Doc's we generally have a humidity of less then 20%, and often below 10%.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Yeah, there are a lot of factors in cleaning pool balls, especially the type of cleaner used and the moisture content of the air where the table is. I use a product called Brillianize, which does a good job of cleaning/polishing, but after its use it takes a day or two for the balls to "break in". Until then the balls slide, or bank wide. Ironically it's easier to draw the CB, which I haven't quite figured out.

IMO the trickiest climate in terms of good results in cleaning pool balls is a humid one, like down here in the deep South. I've used one or two other cleaners with bad results, like automotive finish cleaners. I'm beginning to wonder if just good ole 409 cleaner might be as good as anything. I haven't tried it, but it seems to me that it would take the grit and grease off the balls without leaving a residue. I don't know what product they use in the average poolroom commercial cleaner.
Hi Doc, I have been using 409 on my cue shaft when it gets particles adhering from the chalk, grime and so forth. I just spray a little on a cloth and work it in slightly, and then wipe the shaft with good hand pressure. I then wipe it with a dry rag. I then use paste turtle wax worked into a rag and wipe the shaft with pressure. Let dry 5 min. then wipe with dry rag and burnish it.
The 409 is about the lonely thing that seems not to leave a residue.
I do the same with the balls. 409 then wipe dry and use liguid turtle wax worked into a rag and wipe the balls and let dry then polish with a dry rag.
I find that the effects upon the balls from the wax lasts about an hour of playing.

I cleaned my pool balls, and I then could not get the twist on the banks. I'll give it about an hour of playing time and then see if I can twist bank.

Yes, draw will be effected, you can get more acute draw angles coming off of the ob. John Schmidt in cleaning the balls helps him to recover when he gets out of line. Whitey