• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hankh View Post
    Whitey & Larry, Howdy;

What planet are y'all from sez me running for the door

hank
    hank
    just ignore us when we go into outerspace.....

Comment

Whitey & Larry, Howdy;

Ok, back to the more realistic, to me for the present, ...

The table I play on is a funny duck, as mentioned an early 1980's 7' Valley Bar
      Box, Hasn't been re-covered or anything except an occasional leveling done
      with a 2' Stanley carpenter's level. Monday was a Low pressure (weather day),
      and today the barometer is climbing.

Started with my normal routine Lag some to get a feel for speeds up & back as
      well as side to side. Then I got into CB only. 2ed diamond (D), to 1st D today
      they were going about 1/3 D long. That amounts to about 3.5" . That was a
      center hit at the 2ed D. When I shot in front of the 2ed D it went in.
      When I opened the angle and shot from Side Pocket to 2ed D it was going
      in fairly regularly.

What I did find odd was at times when I was shooting an OB as was
      suggested by Whitey (OB in front of 2ed D and CB in front of 3rd D), was that
      I would need to use LEFT English about a 1/2 tip to get the OB into the
      pocket. Not so when I shot the OB from 2ed D and the CB from Side pocket.
      Still mostly short but not much as before.

Does any of this make any kind of sense?

hank
      Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Comment

Whitey & Larry, Howdy;

Ok, back to the more realistic, to me for the present, ...

The table I play on is a funny duck, as mentioned an early 1980's 7' Valley Bar
        Box, Hasn't been re-covered or anything except an occasional leveling done
        with a 2' Stanley carpenter's level. Monday was a Low pressure (weather day),
        and today the barometer is climbing.

Started with my normal routine Lag some to get a feel for speeds up & back as
        well as side to side. Then I got into CB only. 2ed diamond (D), to 1st D today
        they were going about 1/3 D long. That amounts to about 3.5" . That was a
        center hit at the 2ed D. When I shot in front of the 2ed D it went in.
        When I opened the angle and shot from Side Pocket to 2ed D it was going
        in fairly regularly.

What I did find odd was at times when I was shooting an OB as was
        suggested by Whitey (OB in front of 2ed D and CB in front of 3rd D), was that
        I would need to use LEFT English about a 1/2 tip to get the OB into the
        pocket. Not so when I shot the OB from 2ed D and the CB from Side pocket.
        Still mostly short but not much as before.

Does any of this make any kind of sense?

hank
        On your cb kick shots into the corner, it sounds like that coming off the 1st. diamond it ran long by 3.5". This is probably caused by the cushion being severely worn out by the pocket, thus playing soft and spreading the angle, which explains a better result coming off the 2nd diamond where the cushion is not so worn out.
        Hank, would you clarify Left english, is it running(natural) or is it reverse? If you are doing the shot as I depicted I think it would be running english. Whitey

Comment

Whitey, Howdy;

The worn out cushion I can understand. Also, I should mention that the balls
          only get cleaned once a month and that is the Last Saturday of the month
          during the formal meeting it is a VFW after all.

You asked;" Hank, would you clarify Left english, is it running(natural) or is it
          reverse? If you are doing the shot as I depicted I think it would be running
          english. Whitey " I'm using running in this instance. With the OB in the mix I
          needed to go with Reverse.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your help with this.

hank

Comment

Hank, this thread has been the only game in town, for banking talk, thanks!

I would think, you and your fellow VFW's guys plus the VFW could pool up some funds and fix up that old Valley.

Check with Mueller Recreation Products. I believe they will have new rails already covered that will bolt right on, and also replace the cloth, and in a couple of days, or one day you guys can get her all fixed up. Whitey

Comment

Whitey, Howdy;

Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
              Hank, this thread has been the only game in town, for banking talk, thanks!

I would think, you and your fellow VFW's guys plus the VFW could pool up some funds and fix up that old Valley.

Check with Mueller Recreation Products. I believe they will have new rails already covered that will bolt right on, and also replace the cloth, and in a couple of days, or one day you guys can get her all fixed up. Whitey
              Thanks, but these guys & gals are a tight fisted group but there is a guy in Las
              Cruces that builds rails for folks like Muller and the others and the Olhausen
              family have there store in Las Cruces as well. The guy with the rail business
              was also doing tables and still does but on a rare occasion. I have been exploring
              these possibilities for about 2 years now. I also found a cue maker (?), so I
              can get a shaft when I need one or whatever. Has a decent rep. in the area
              and is about the only show around without having to go the extra 50 or 60
              miles to El Paso, Tx.

Thank you for taking an interest and helping me feel my way through this
              learning curve. I always start with a 90* angle in front of me and you & lll
              have helped give it some slope.

hank

Comment

Whitey & lll, Howdy;

What's up guys???

Today was interesting, humidity is getting back into "normal" ranges, and the
                table is ... the table. So, I just practiced finding 2:1 shots, worked the table up
                & back. using the center line, and both the lines from diamond to diamond the
                length of the table. Results varied due to distance and most likely my stroke /
                speed management for the different length of the journeys. Exploring how
                much English to add for the distance and if a change in speed will help or hinder.

Any thoughts, tips or hints?

As always, thanks for your thoughts and time to help.

hank

Comment

Whitey & lll, Howdy;

What's up guys???

Today was interesting, humidity is getting back into "normal" ranges, and the
                  table is ... the table. So, I just practiced finding 2:1 shots, worked the table up
                  & back. using the center line, and both the lines from diamond to diamond the
                  length of the table. Results varied due to distance and most likely my stroke /
                  speed management for the different length of the journeys. Exploring how
                  much English to add for the distance and if a change in speed will help or hinder.

Any thoughts, tips or hints?

As always, thanks for your thoughts and time to help.

hank
                  when shooting the 2:1 in a straight line ie no cut necessary
                  check if you hit a stop shot with no spin if there is spin and/or drift the results dont tell you what you want because it was not a pure hit
                  you can use this drill to practice your stroke and banks at the same time...
                  to experiment with one use of english to make a bank try this
                  line up the cue ball and object ball parrallel to the foot rail and one diamond up from the foot rail
                  put the object ball 2 diamonds from the side rail
                  aim straight ahead and see how much english you need to throw the object ball enough to make the bank
                  after you get comfortable with that
                  move the object ball one diamond closer to the rail you are hitting into
                  now see how much english you need to throw the object ball to make the bank
                  as you get really close you will need to cut the object ball some
                  you should find you need more english the closer the object ball gets to the rail
                  Last edited by lll; 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

lll, Howdy;

Thanks for the drill. I can check this out Thurs. before the 9-ball tourney. My
                    friend Tony (91 years young), doesn't care for 9-ball so I warm-up solo then.
                    Sounds interesting and like a nice mental challenge.

hank

Comment

lll, Howdy;

Thanks for the drill. I can check this out Thurs. before the 9-ball tourney. My
                      friend Tony (91 years young), doesn't care for 9-ball so I warm-up solo then.
                      Sounds interesting and like a nice mental challenge.

hank
                      in onepocket alot of times you want to hit the object ball fuller to control cue ball movement so you to have to fabricate the angle for the bank with spin

Comment

lll, Howdy;

Originally posted by lll View Post
                        in onepocket alot of times you want to hit the object ball fuller to control cue ball movement so you to have to fabricate the angle for the bank with spin
                        As the little guy in the German WW-II helmet on Laugh-IN used to say, ...
                        "Innterrrresting" .

hank

Comment

Whitey & lll;

Well, funny thing happened today. Showed up early for our bitty 9-ball tourney
                          like I usually do. Did my regular warm-up routine that I mentioned way back
                          when, then started shooting a few racks of 15 ball rotation to get ready for the
                          more position sensitive game. When the opportunity to bank came up I would
                          attempt it. 60/40, miss/make. Practiced the drill lll alluded to at the beginning
                          of the week. Things were so-so at best.

Game time was fun, truly fun. I do not think it would be repeatable but I was
                          doing some outstanding Banks. I was very fortunate and extremely lucky.
                          Didn't win, got 2ed. but folks were watchin' .

I was 'seeing' the angles today, managed a few up & backs, several cross side/corners
                          and a few object ball on or next to side rail and was able to
                          cross it into side pocket by doing an edge to edge hit. Felt comfortable when
                          getting down on the shots, only micro adjustments with bridge hand when
                          down for shot only when alignment didn't 'feel' just right. Once down, a few
                          practice strokes final check on CB for where, then back and short pause,
                          swing and hit follow through. Watch CB contact OB and OB fall into pocket
                          and CB roll for position on next ball ... or not. Made some shots that really
                          looked like I just picked up a cue only 5 seconds ago. My attempt at
                          achieving balance in the universe

Will be doing 8-ball this coming Sat. Then more practice come Mon.

Any thoughts and constructive criticism gladly welcomed.

hank
                          Last edited by hankh; 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

its great that you were able to let your subconcious mind do the work while playing
                            your practice is allowing your brain (its a wonderful thing) to learn what works and what doesnt
                            .if you dont try to "overide" the programming while playing you will do fine..
                            great progress hank...yahoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

lll, Howdy;

Originally posted by lll View Post
                              its great that you were able to let your subconcious mind do the work while playing
                              your practice is allowing your brain (its a wonderful thing) to learn what works and what doesnt
                              .if you dont try to "overide" the programming while playing you will do fine..
                              great progress hank...yahoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              You should hear the conversations that go on in between my ears ...
                              , .

hank

Comment

Hank,
                                Sounds like you made quite a break through. A freedom so to speak. Take care, great thread, great news.

Thanks Larry for getting in here and sticking it out. It sure is nice to help someone out.

Hank, keep us informed on how its going! thanks, Whitey

Comment

Working...
                                X