Learning to play Bank pool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Practice today was ... interesting. Got the normal stuff out of the way and then
    started doing some of the 'twist' drill. Worked fine, moved onto the back-cut w/
    natural English. Spent the better part of an hour and had a difficult time getting
    consistent results so it will get extra work before tomorrow's 8-ball tourney.
    Whitey I know if you were looking over my shoulder we'd have it locked-in by now.
    Spent the rest of the time doing some 6-ball scatter and attempt to Bank as many
    as I can. Scratch and re-start, miss ='s reset and re-do. Then finished with 3 racks
    of 15 ball rotation, Banking and kicking as available. Not bad overall 3.5 hours total
    time but the back-cut shot bugged me as I couldn't add it to my sheet of 'I can do
    this shots". at least not yet Consistency is what was lacking, it will come.

Thanks as always for your thoughts and suggestions.

hank
    Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Got there early started some warm-up stuff and Tony showed up. So we played
      a few games of 8-ball. Noticed that I was out of alignment again so worked on
      that while playin' with Tony. Finished in the middle of the pack, meh. Did have
      several occasions to bank and kick took full advantage of those. Even had a few
      of the Back-cut Natural English shots show their faces, got 1, missed 2. Needs
      more work. Will need some time for these lessons to take root and the muscle
      memory to grab. Don't take this as an I quit, far from it, it's to much fun. Just
      need to let me catch up with the new stuff.
      Tomorrow is 9-ball so no Tony, and I'll get a few more hours to work on all this
      before the tourney. Will let ya know how that goes.

Thanks for all the help and the knowledge.

hank

Comment

• hank
        your enthusiasm and desire is refreshing and invigorates me to do what i can to help.....
        keep working bro
        larry

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

Larry I reckon it's like making a really good stew, got to allow the flavors to
          marry-up in order for it to taste right. Just gonna allow what I've learned to
          settle a bit then figure out whats what then grab some more.

As always, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

hank

Comment

• Howdy All;

Ever had one of those days??? ...

Showed up near 12 noon for a 2:00 pm tourney, set about getting
            some practice and warming up. I elected to get into 15 ball rotation
            and ... well, it turned out to be something like practicing Safeties and
            hooking the CB into impossible to get to the OB locations. This bled
            over into the tourney, started to come back around later but ... finished
            just out of the money
            Ya just gotta chuckle when these days happen , .

We'll see what happens Saturday.

hank
            Last edited by hankh; 05-03-2019, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Still feel like I'm using a floor sized squeegee to try an round up my collective
              stroke, and other basic fundamentals. Today was far better then Thursdays
              efforts when it felt like I had just picked up a cue for the first time.
              Tony showed up and he just laughed at my feeble attempts

Any way did well enough to miss the money by 1 place . But it still feels like I
              have all my crap scattered all over the place. I see what is going on Monday.
              Haven't looked at a video nor a book since Wed. evening. Gotta allow the info
              to settle in and get comfy. Then move on to more learning.

Will let ya know more Monday evening.

Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions as always.

hank

Comment

• Originally posted by hankh View Post
                Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Still feel like I'm using a floor sized squeegee to try an round up my collective
                stroke, and other basic fundamentals. Today was far better then Thursdays
                efforts when it felt like I had just picked up a cue for the first time.
                Tony showed up and he just laughed at my feeble attempts

Any way did well enough to miss the money by 1 place . But it still feels like I
                have all my crap scattered all over the place. I see what is going on Monday.
                Haven't looked at a video nor a book since Wed. evening. Gotta allow the info
                to settle in and get comfy. Then move on to more learning.

Will let ya know more Monday evening.

Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions as always.

hank
                try to focus on stroke development every time you practice
                in addition to anything else
                for me
                i am now going back to up and down the table with the cue ball drills and 1 diamond stop shots since i seem to have gotten a hitch somewhere in my stroke.....

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

Know what ya mean... today wasn't as bad as most of last week. I'm down to
                  using a bucket an sponge then a paper towel for final touch-ups.
                  Seems like every time I get into learning something new I go through this
                  sort of mess. It takes the new information awhile to blend in get comfortable
                  and then become effective.

However, today, I did the straight back "twist" and a line of balls 1 bank back to
                  the corners and sides. Then it was on to 3 full racks of rotation, banking whenever
                  possible and feasible. All in all I felt more comfortable, pocketing was better and
                  overall every thing seemed to fit better each with the other.

As always, all thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

hank

Comment

• Hank,
                    There was a game called, "Line Up". It would start the same and is played the same as 14.1 but after a scoring inning, the balls scored would spot up, and the game continues as such. I am not familiar with the history of the game, nor do I know that it ever was considered a championship game. It was continuous with no re-racking and played up to a determined ball count. It was far more challenging to break up the balls to continue to pocket balls when they are lined up.

But, it sure is good for banks, and I would play this game because it was so challenging, and also fun doing the line up banks. Working one end of the line and then the other end of the line of banks, trying to hold the cue ball, and back cutting banks with cb going to foot rail or head rail, and then back in position to do another bank, and so forth. It is not a bank game and balls can be straight pocketed, but just banking in the balls is just pure fun!

Those players that played this game knew their cross side and cross corner banks, and the cushions in those days were excellent! Whitey

Comment

• 12 rail run

https://clips.twitch.tv/CleanSnappyN...BJcquXLKWlQXyk

Comment

• i think i should take up bridge,,,,,,,,
                        thats some great shooting......
                        thanks for the link john

Comment

• Whitey, Howdy;

That Line up game sounds interesting, I'll give it a try next Monday when the
                          tables are free again.

Today was 8-Ball tourney, small turn out but it was "one of those Days" , ...
                          no one could make a shot or so it seemed. A few could as we did have win,
                          place & show... but truly, every one sucked.
                          I did have a nice shot Ob on rail 1/2 way between far corner pocket and CB was
                          slightly closer to the end rail. Shot it center ball with 1 tip of left English hitting
                          it with a 1/2 ball hit on the Right side. Popped off the rail and right into the
                          pocket just like it was supposed to . Couldn't have done it without your short
                          video and my mind wrestlin' with it then allowing it to settle in.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and whoever else is in the background
                          scribblin' notes and practicing as well. I'm still a beginner at this but I think that
                          some progress has been made not much, but it's still in progress and will remain
                          in progress.

Thanks as always for your thoughts and suggestions.

hank

Comment

• crabbcatjohn, Howdy;

Great stuff !!! goin' to study this as to what the angles and
                            Diamonds were used and how/where he's hittin' the CB too.
                            Thanks for sharing the clip.

hank

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Well, today was 9-ball, basic routine for starters and then 3 racks of rotation.
                              Seems this is about the best routine for a warm-up. When I do the rotation I do
                              attempt every bank and kick I can find. Just by doing that I may take 3 to 6 shots
                              at A ball. Kinda like playin' hide-and-go-seek with myself. Sometimes fun other
                              times not so much.

I'm staying away from the DVDs and books till Sunday. Shots were starting to go in
                              at a normal pace. Alignment is OK, doing the 1 stroke during warm-ups, and missing,
                              still more to Right, just not as often.

Always appreciate y'all's thoughts & suggestions.

hank

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Well, Yesterday was a 'good day', Tony showed up so practice and warm-ups
                                were 3 games of 8-ball, before the rest showed up. Tony enjoys Banking and
                                he does his Banks as they come along. He's 91, about blind in one eye, hard
                                to see outta the other, deaf as a post in one ear, and is always 'dying
                                tomorrow'. But, ... get him close to a table and he perks right up. He's been
                                playing pool since he was 8. So, we play bank the 8 and we chuckle a lot about
                                close misses and some not so close misses. Since his stroke a few years ago
                                his hands shake a bit but his stroke is usually true.

So, what can I say, I made some and I missed more then I made ... I am
                                seeing things, angles and targets better then I was. I'm still hitting some,
                                not as many, shots off to the Left as the majority of misses are to the Right.
                                Stroke & stance are what I plan to work on tomorrow, back to the Basics time.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions as always.

hank

Comment

Working...
                                X