Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howard K's CB Off Point Bank!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Howard K's CB Off Point Bank!

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bLwsscyu6THZnDfW7
    click on video for sound. My voice is slurred, but sound of balls are good.

    This bank shot I learned from Howard K. when I met him at the Cal. Billiards 2018 MOT.
    I am shooting it an angle comparable from shooting it from behind the line. This is in slow motion, and what makes this bank possible is that the cb comes off the point and thus gets out of the kiss by going behind the ob.

    Thanks Howard, it is a great bank shot! Whitey

  • #2
    Whitey, Howdy;

    Well done!

    hank
    Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by hankh View Post
      Whitey, Howdy;

      Well done!

      hank
      Thanks, Hank! The angle and line I am shooting this bank on is the same line as if I had ball in hand behind the line. I wanted it this way so the bank would also represent a bank scenario that the shooter had ball in hand behind the line!

      But for slow motion and video considerations I moved the cb forward! Stop the video at the point the cb comes off the point and goes behind the ob.

      I do not know if this bank is possible without the cb going off the point, any comments welcomed! thanks again! Whitey

      real games; spot balls and have ball in hand behind the line!

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice bank whitey
        Billie last year at the seniors tourney in Houston
        Showed me a similar bank going the long ways where he made the cue ball jump upon hitting the rail to beat the kiss

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lll View Post
          Nice bank whitey
          Billie last year at the seniors tourney in Houston
          Showed me a similar bank going the long ways where he made the cue ball jump upon hitting the rail to beat the kiss
          That sounds like quite a bank! I would suppose that Billy came down on the cb to make it bounce into the ob, thus bouncing up when it hit the rail.

          Once upon a time I had been left a 9-ball cross side bank but I there was no way to get out of the kiss when the 9-ball came off the rail. So I jumped the cb into the 9 and landed on top of it whereas the 9 ball coming off the rail and went under the cb.
          thanks, for the comment! Whitey

          Comment


          • #6
            Whitey, Howdy;

            Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
            Thanks, Hank! The angle and line I am shooting this bank on is the same line as if I had ball in hand behind the line. I wanted it this way so the bank would also represent a bank scenario that the shooter had ball in hand behind the line!

            But for slow motion and video considerations I moved the cb forward! Stop the video at the point the cb comes off the point and goes behind the ob.

            I do not know if this bank is possible without the cb going off the point, any comments welcomed! thanks again! Whitey

            real games; spot balls and have ball in hand behind the line!
            I got hold of J. Brumback's 2ed video in the past week or so. He's got a
            similar bank that he does across as well as long ways. He states that the
            jump is the only way to beat the Kiss. He's got it in both videos actually.

            Also, I stopped your video just after the balls cross I can move the dot at
            the bottom of the screen so I can see it frame by frame. Result is the cue
            ball doesn't jump till after it comes off the 2ed. point after the 13 ball had
            already escaped. So, maybe you don't need the jump to beat the kiss but
            you may not make the Bank due to reduced speed/momentum. Which raises
            the question, for the Behind the Line shot wouldn't you loose a lot of the
            speed/momentum you'd need to make the shot successfully due to the
            distance? Just being curious.

            hank
            Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hankh View Post
              Whitey, Howdy;



              I got hold of J. Brumback's 2ed video in the past week or so. He's got a
              similar bank that he does across as well as long ways. He states that the
              jump is the only way to beat the Kiss. He's got it in both videos actually.

              Also, I stopped your video just after the balls cross I can move the dot at
              the bottom of the screen so I can see it frame by frame. Result is the cue
              ball doesn't jump till after it comes off the 2ed. point after the 13 ball had
              already escaped. So, maybe you don't need the jump to beat the kiss but
              you may not make the Bank due to reduced speed/momentum. Which raises
              the question, for the Behind the Line shot wouldn't you loose a lot of the
              speed/momentum you'd need to make the shot successfully due to the
              distance? Just being curious.

              hank
              I shot this in an action game last night the long way back and it was 7 7 in ball count. My opponent was astonished.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hankh View Post
                Whitey, Howdy;



                I got hold of J. Brumback's 2ed video in the past week or so. He's got a
                similar bank that he does across as well as long ways. He states that the
                jump is the only way to beat the Kiss. He's got it in both videos actually.

                Also, I stopped your video just after the balls cross I can move the dot at
                the bottom of the screen so I can see it frame by frame. Result is the cue
                ball doesn't jump till after it comes off the 2ed. point after the 13 ball had
                already escaped. So, maybe you don't need the jump to beat the kiss but
                you may not make the Bank due to reduced speed/momentum. Which raises
                the question, for the Behind the Line shot wouldn't you loose a lot of the
                speed/momentum you'd need to make the shot successfully due to the
                distance? Just being curious.

                hank
                I do not know if this bank can be made hitting it at less speed, or the desired pocket speed as in OP. I'll have to work on it. This video is an old video that I had posted up on a long gone OP thread, but I recently found it, thus re-posted, so I am not up to speed on it. I'll let you know what I come up with, I would think the speed would not matter!
                It is a fun shot, good luck doing it! Whitey

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChicagoFats View Post
                  I shot this in an action game last night the long way back and it was 7 7 in ball count. My opponent was astonished.
                  I guess so!!!! What a shot to bury the game ball! thanks for the comment, I wish I could say that, and have that happen in a game. Whitey

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hank, I revisited this bank shot, and yes, you can hit it at pocket speed. I suggest using high on the cb so it keeps moving.

                    One day I was watching speed pool on TV, and my wife walked by and stated; "that is what you should be doing". I use to do it some time ago, but as with exercise I start and stop. But this morning I did it once again. I do 5 games of speed pool and time each game. My times were not great avg. 1:55, I was down around 1:10 before, but it sure was good exercise.

                    It sure makes me realize how important it is to come down on the shot properly, for it is mainly 1 stroking it. It made it apparent that I have some tendencies on some shots of coming down on them wrong. You have to think quickly and make the right decisions.

                    If I keep this up, just maybe I'll catch some young buck, and trap him into a match of speed pool, Ha! Ha! Sounds like a pretty good hustle, for who would not accept that game with an old fart! I could get a cane and limp!
                    My Doc wants me to exercise, and loose some lbs. Whitey

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Whitey, Howdy;

                      My Doc just shakes his head when I tell them I get my cardio work done walkin'
                      around a pool table. Haven't had to tell them it's only a Bar Box instead of a
                      monster like yours.

                      Good to know it can work with the slower speeds. I'll give it a try tomorrow before the 9-ball tourney.

                      hank
                      Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
                        I guess so!!!! What a shot to bury the game ball! thanks for the comment, I wish I could say that, and have that happen in a game. Whitey
                        Best thing was... I wasn't considering the shot until my opponent called out the ball as being frozen. Then I figured it was a duck!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Whitey, Howdy;

                          Gave this shot about a half-an-hours work, nada, nuttin.

                          When you say that you set it up as if it were being shot from behind the line,
                          do you mean from as if you were near the Right Rail shooting to the Left far
                          corner, as that is who I took it to look from the video.
                          Any-who, I tried from all across the line, still nuttin'. Did have the OB tracking
                          to almost every other pocket at one time or another but not across .
                          Oh well, something to work on ...

                          hank
                          Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hankh View Post
                            Whitey, Howdy;

                            Gave this shot about a half-an-hours work, nada, nuttin.

                            When you say that you set it up as if it were being shot from behind the line,
                            do you mean from as if you were near the Right Rail shooting to the Left far
                            corner, as that is who I took it to look from the video.
                            Any-who, I tried from all across the line, still nuttin'. Did have the OB tracking
                            to almost every other pocket at one time or another but not across .
                            Oh well, something to work on ...

                            hank
                            Hank, yes your statement has captured the shot. But, get the cb up by the spot somewhere that you are comfortable, and probably on the other side of the table for you are right handed. Set the edge of the ob about a 1/2 ball width or so from the point of the pocket.
                            I believe your problem stems from hitting the ob to thick. You have to hit thinly across the face of the ob to allow the cb to hit the point.
                            Use a level stroke with center high. This is very important, for any type of coming down on the cb will drag it and slow it down.

                            You do know about even though you are striking the cb above center but if you cue is elevated in the back say 10 -15 degrees, thus the cue is coming down on the cb, it will have a draw tendency and widen out the angle, so level stroke is required.
                            Watch the video some more.
                            Good Luck! Whitey

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whitey, Howdy;

                              Ok, thanks for tellin' me I got that much right. I'll work on it some more
                              tomorrow.

                              hank
                              Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X