Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full rack banks match Truman/Beard

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Full rack banks match Truman/Beard

    Those interested in watching tournament full rack banks, I just uploaded a video taken at the Chicago Bumps bank tourney in 1986. Gary Speith won it and I finished 2nd. If you want to get an idea of how to shut down a powerhouse shooter like Truman Hogue, you should watch this video and observe the Chicago Squeeze in all its glory. A classic example of how to win without having to make hard shots.

    Beard

    Cameos thruout the match of Greg Sullivan, Tony Coleman, Tough Tony Brewer, Howard the Coward, George Michaels, Troy from Milwaukee, and Kevin Nichols.

    http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=10...nktourney1986.
    New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
    www.bankingwiththebeard.com

  • #2
    Definately........

    ..........appreciate the effort Freddie,now if I just had X-ray vision.........

    Comment


    • #3
      Mike Weldon

      Originally posted by usblues
      ..........appreciate the effort Freddie,now if I just had X-ray vision.........

      My old backer, Mike Weldon the porn movie producer, surreptitiously filmed the match. I didnt even know he had done it until he sent me a VHS copy years later. I had to convert it to DVD, and as you can see, the quality is well below crystal clear. The technology of the 80s. I have been threatening Truman with a nationwide release of the match for years.

      Beard

      Incidentally, the table we played on was very,very tough.
      New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
      www.bankingwiththebeard.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fred bentivegna
        My old backer, Mike Weldon the porn movie producer, surreptitiously filmed the match. I didnt even know he had done it until he sent me a VHS copy years later. I had to convert it to DVD, and as you can see, the quality is well below crystal clear. The technology of the 80s. I have been threatening Truman with a nationwide release of the match for years.

        Beard

        Incidentally, the table we played on was very,very tough.
        Freddy,

        That's the first time I've ever seen you hit a ball in your prime. Nice form. That DVD would be worth $100 per copy if it was clear & up close.

        P.S. Truman's taller than I remember him .

        Dennis

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
          Freddy,

          That's the first time I've ever seen you hit a ball in your prime. Nice form. That DVD would be worth $100 per copy if it was clear & up close.

          P.S. Truman's taller than I remember him .

          Dennis
          Is that Freddy or Willie Gault ?
          Rod.

          Rodney Stephens.
          (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

          Comment


          • #6
            Gault couldnt bank

            Originally posted by androd
            Is that Freddy or Willie Gault ?

            That was me 100 lbs ago.

            Beard
            New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
            www.bankingwiththebeard.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Same table almost

              Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
              Freddy,

              That's the first time I've ever seen you hit a ball in your prime. Nice form. That DVD would be worth $100 per copy if it was clear & up close.

              P.S. Truman's taller than I remember him .

              Dennis

              That was table 9 at the Billiard Cafe. A very tough box. I lost my first match to Donnie Anderson on it and then won a bunch in a row to get to the finals. Since it was home court and I had a little clout, I played all my games on that table except for the final match. The owner Frank Van Der Bosch just couldnt go that strong. A big disadvantage for me, because I had squooze a whole batch of good players to death on table 9; Howard the Coward, Tough Tony Brewer, Donnie Anderson, Tony Coleman, Kevin Nichols and Mark Jarvis, all from the losers side. There were no weak players in the whole field. Bugs was in jail overnight or he would have played. We played the finals on table 8. Because it was so easy, that is the table that Incardona picked out special to play Efren with the 8 and the break. Billy also called from out of town and had Frank the owner put a brand new cloth on the table the day before the match with Effie. Didnt help much because they broke even over two sets. A pool bug was keeping track of how many times Billy made a ball on the break. He broke and made one 90 plus % of the time. Still couldnt bring the animal Efren. Almost every time Billy allowed Efren a chance to get to the table, Efren won 90% of those games. That included all the times Billy left him kicks and tricks. I had never seen anything remotely like that, kicking balls in, or kicking safe. It was ridiculous. Billy didnt even play bad. He didnt miss hardly anything, and he aint the dumbest player in the world.

              Beard
              New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
              www.bankingwiththebeard.com

              Comment


              • #8
                bank tourney

                Freddie,
                I drove a 15 passenger van from my car-lot and brought the best bank pool players in Louisville with me. Only problem i had was all 12 of them stayed up all night gambling. I knew i was screwed with one hour sleep after having drove 330 miles to get there. I know for a fact that Truman only had 1 hour sleep as well.
                You obviously had a great performance at the tournament, but if old truman had had some sleep & rest, he might have performed better. I remember Bugs came in and played Gary Spaeth a set for 2K. Two of those pool players i brought with me back in 86 are now dead. I was playing pool about 4 hours a day back then and was in my prime. thanks for the post Freddie.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Really enjoyed seeing you shoot Fred. Thanks for posting the video.
                  Jesus said- I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Who wuz dere?

                    Originally posted by Big Jim
                    Freddie,
                    I drove a 15 passenger van from my car-lot and brought the best bank pool players in Louisville with me. Only problem i had was all 12 of them stayed up all night gambling. I knew i was screwed with one hour sleep after having drove 330 miles to get there. I know for a fact that Truman only had 1 hour sleep as well.
                    You obviously had a great performance at the tournament, but if old truman had had some sleep & rest, he might have performed better. I remember Bugs came in and played Gary Spaeth a set for 2K. Two of those pool players i brought with me back in 86 are now dead. I was playing pool about 4 hours a day back then and was in my prime. thanks for the post Freddie.
                    Jim, I am trying to put together a list of the players at that tourn. It was a full field of 32. I know Greg Sullivan sponsored about 6 players. Do you remember the names of the guys from Ky. I dont remember if Gerald played or not. He may have been in the Army or AirForce at the time. The players I remember:
                    George Michaels, Tony Coleman, Donnie Anderson, Black Troy from Milwaukee, Gary Speith, Tough Tony Brewer, Howard the Coward Meachum, Truman Hogue, Kevin McNicols (Nicols?). I am dimming on the rest of the field. I am pretty such I played and beat Mark Jarvis also. But it may have been a different time.

                    Beard
                    New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                    www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                      Jim, I am trying to put together a list of the players at that tourn. It was a full field of 32. I know Greg Sullivan sponsored about 6 players. Do you remember the names of the guys from Ky. I dont remember if Gerald played or not. He may have been in the Army or AirForce at the time. The players I remember:
                      George Michaels, Tony Coleman, Donnie Anderson, Black Troy from Milwaukee, Gary Speith, Tough Tony Brewer, Howard the Coward Meachum, Truman Hogue, Kevin McNicols (Nicols?). I am dimming on the rest of the field. I am pretty such I played and beat Mark Jarvis also. But it may have been a different time.

                      Beard
                      Fred, I saw Bob Doyle walking with his cue in one of those sequences. I imagine he played in that tournament also.

                      I think I even see me checking out the brackets in one scene. I was working as a counter man at the Chicago Billiard Cafe in 1986 and I know I didn't miss any of that tournament. Freddy represented well in that tourney and like he said he played most of his matches on table 9. That was the tightest box in the place as I think it was double shimmed.

                      I think I saw Alphonso in there too! He was quite a character.
                      Last edited by philwelch; 05-29-2011, 11:22 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                        Jim, I am trying to put together a list of the players at that tourn. It was a full field of 32. I know Greg Sullivan sponsored about 6 players. Do you remember the names of the guys from Ky. I dont remember if Gerald played or not. He may have been in the Army or AirForce at the time. The players I remember:
                        George Michaels, Tony Coleman, Donnie Anderson, Black Troy from Milwaukee, Gary Speith, Tough Tony Brewer, Howard the Coward Meachum, Truman Hogue, Kevin McNicols (Nicols?). I am dimming on the rest of the field. I am pretty such I played and beat Mark Jarvis also. But it may have been a different time.

                        Beard
                        Fred, I see Tom Spencer at the end of the first segment. I think I saw Mark Wilson in there too.

                        Some local players that might have played are Tom Spencer, Joey Gold, Rich "Rocketman" Slupik, Tom Karabotsos, John Zaksas, John Rowski (sp). Bill Kiley, Ike Runnels.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You are right on a couple

                          Originally posted by philwelch
                          Fred, I see Tom Spencer at the end of the first segment. I think I saw Mark Wilson in there too.

                          Some local players that might have played are Tom Spencer, Joey Gold, Rich "Rocketman" Slupik, Tom Karabotsos, John Zaksas, John Rowski (sp). Bill Kiley, Ike Runnels.
                          Alphonse Daniels was there but didnt play. Mark Wilson was there, I think he played. I am pretty sure Tom Spencer played. I even think he and I played. Zaksas, John the cop Rouski, Ike, Rocketman, and Kiley, I am pretty sure they didnt play. Of the above guys, Zaksas would have been the only guy who could have competed in that field.
                          What ever happened to the owner Frank VanDerBosch? Maybe he has the old Tourney scoreboard.


                          Beard

                          Bob Doyle might have played.
                          New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                          www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                            Alphonse Daniels was there but didnt play. Mark Wilson was there, I think he played. I am pretty sure Tom Spencer played. I even think he and I played. Zaksas, John the cop Rouski, Ike, Rocketman, and Kiley, I am pretty sure they didnt play. Of the above guys, Zaksas would have been the only guy who could have competed in that field.
                            What ever happened to the owner Frank VanDerBosch? Maybe he has the old Tourney scoreboard.


                            Beard

                            Bob Doyle might have played.
                            I can hear Frank calling out a few matches and Willie Munson's name gets mentioned as well as a Dale Rickley (sp).

                            The last I knew Frank Vandenbosch was living in Wisconsin. I haven't seen his sons Kyle or Augie for at least a year, if I run into them I'll get some info on Frank and see if he still has that scorecard.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              players

                              Greg Sullivan, Truman Hogue, Gary Sims, Kevin Nicholas, Gerald Reiche, Marvin Alstott, Terry Clark, Big Jim Fulcher, I played a guy named George had snow white hair back then, he later on was some kind of vendor at tournaments, selling pool clothing i think. Piggy Banks Rogers was there wasn't he?
                              I'm forgetting a bouit 3 players i brought with me. If i can think of more, will repost later. Big Jim

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X