End Game

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Thinking about chess, I had some good matchups with a friend of mine, but he had been playing seriously for a long time and could beat me fairly easily when it came down to the end game moves - pawn & king vs. pawn & king, etc.

Are there any particular setups that you prefer for an end game manouver, or is it usually a take-it-as-it-comes kind of approach? I know that in other games, I almost drool when I see a couple of particular situations. Although, banking does lend itself more to the offensive defensive shots.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Banks said:
Thinking about chess, I had some good matchups with a friend of mine, but he had been playing seriously for a long time and could beat me fairly easily when it came down to the end game moves - pawn & king vs. pawn & king, etc.

Are there any particular setups that you prefer for an end game manouver, or is it usually a take-it-as-it-comes kind of approach? I know that in other games, I almost drool when I see a couple of particular situations. Although, banking does lend itself more to the offensive defensive shots.
I'm interested too. My limited experience with Bank Pool is only the 9-ball variety, not full rack, but I guess down at the end of the game they are both the same, aren't they :D . In my experience playing a couple other locals who are also not that familiar with the game, when it comes down to the last ball we mostly end up trading long straight backs, with the occasional "four in the corner" or "two in the corner" mixed in -- and always trying to play the shot with the right speed to leave the cue ball and object ball on opposite ends of the table in the event of a miss.

I like Freddy's dictum, "If the shot you are looking at is more difficult than what you will leave if you miss, then play safe instead." But what if the safety is difficult too, lol?

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
chess?????

chess?????

What the hell!Just kidding.Been playing since 6th grade.Had a good teacher for a year while I was on ice,still cant see 2 moves ahead yet I love that damn game.If I had anything worth saying I would say it.I cannot in good faith do that however,cheers,Bob

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fistful of Dollars

Fistful of Dollars

NH Steve said:
I'm interested too. My limited experience with Bank Pool is only the 9-ball variety, not full rack, but I guess down at the end of the game they are both the same, aren't they :D . In my experience playing a couple other locals who are also not that familiar with the game, when it comes down to the last ball we mostly end up trading long straight backs, with the occasional "four in the corner" or "two in the corner" mixed in -- and always trying to play the shot with the right speed to leave the cue ball and object ball on opposite ends of the table in the event of a miss.

I cant give better advice than that re the end game.

I like Freddy's dictum, "If the shot you are looking at is more difficult than what you will leave if you miss, then play safe instead." But what if the safety is difficult too, lol?

That dictum applies mainly to situations with multiple balls on the table. However, in those times when the safety is as difficult as the shot, you choose the shot of course. As Tuco said in Fistful of Dollars,"When you gotta, shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

Beard

In a one ball end game you are usually always shooting at something.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
In my last banks game I went with a different approach to the last ball... I had just lost two games of the last ball, leaving distance between the object ball and the cue... so I decided to soft roll and set the cue as close as possible to the object ball actually trying to freeze to it with a legal hit... it drove my opponent nuts, even though the best I could accomplish was getting the cue about a quarter or a half ball from the object ball... I won every game of last ball for the rest of the night using that strategy... He would either foul, or leave me a decent shot...
Luck must have been on my side...

Bille :D

John Brumback

Verified Member
NH Steve said:

If the safes to difficult Steve...Go down firing at a hole,It might go In or you may luck out and leave them tough.that's my way of reasoning anyway.John B.
PS; yes the 2 games are the same when It gets to the end game.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Banks said:

Here's one little trick.
It might be hard for me to explain but I'll try.Sometimes,when I get to the last ball I don't want to get straight In perfect shape.(unless It's setting real easy like a little cross corner or cross side)Because If I miss It I won't have any way to hope or get safe.So that means that I would rather get on the ball so I can shoot my last ball the free way.That Is rolling the ball somewhere and being able to leave them long somehow.Does that make any since? I hope It does.Banks are hard and you need to respect each and every bank.Example...I wouldn't want straight In shape on the last ball If It was say, a long cross corner from out in the middle of the table.Because there would be no safe at all If I miss.I would just have to hope at that point that It goes In or I get a lucky safe.I try to take as much of the luck factor out that I can.
PS: this Is just one of my little secrets..I'll throw one out ever now and then,hehe.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
wgcp said:
In my last banks game I went with a different approach to the last ball... I had just lost two games of the last ball, leaving distance between the object ball and the cue... so I decided to soft roll and set the cue as close as possible to the object ball actually trying to freeze to it with a legal hit... it drove my opponent nuts, even though the best I could accomplish was getting the cue about a quarter or a half ball from the object ball... I won every game of last ball for the rest of the night using that strategy... He would either foul, or leave me a decent shot...
Luck must have been on my side...

Bille :D

LOL,that Is so funny.I can see him scratching his head! That Is a "different approach" for sure,but hey I say whatever works! Do what ya gotta do.I just find that so funny for some reason! I have used that stratgey myself a time or two.Sometimes,I think that's the best shot but I have a hard time making myself do It.I even practice kicking soft Into balls like that just for that reason.That's one thing I've noticed In the last few years that alot of players have gotten real good at,Is just ticking the ball and leaving you stuck to It or under It.It works If you lay it down good,but If you over or under stroke It against a good player your probably not going to like the outcome from It.
Glad your playing good and smart,Bille.John B.
PS: It helps to know the table REAL good for that too.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
John Brumback said:
Here's one little trick.
It might be hard for me to explain but I'll try.Sometimes,when I get to the last ball I don't want to get straight In perfect shape.(unless It's setting real easy like a little cross corner or cross side)Because If I miss It I won't have any way to hope or get safe.So that means that I would rather get on the ball so I can shoot my last ball the free way.That Is rolling the ball somewhere and being able to leave them long somehow.Does that make any since? I hope It does.Banks are hard and you need to respect each and every bank.Example...I wouldn't want straight In shape on the last ball If It was say, a long cross corner from out in the middle of the table.Because there would be no safe at all If I miss.I would just have to hope at that point that It goes In or I get a lucky safe.I try to take as much of the luck factor out that I can.
PS: this Is just one of my little secrets..I'll throw one out ever now and then,hehe.John B.

I know what you mean on those off angle shots. I like those, too. I can't always shoot as straight as I'd like, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna make it easy on my opponent! :eek:

I really like that tactic of getting the cue ball all up close and personal with the last ball. It takes away a big factor many use of having a broad vision of the table and the angle.

The idea of firing at the game ball if the safe is tough is standard(or should be), but I was just curious if anyone had any particular end game strategies that they liked to use. Wasn't expecting many people to give away any of their own special moves. ;)

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
John Brumback said:
Here's one little trick.
I never thought of that, but I like it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One piece of strategy that plays a big role in the end game is "Where do you leave the cue ball when you have to play safe by pocketing a ball hanging in a pocket?" I've put the cue ball in three different spots here that come to my mind as pretty good places to leave the cue ball (if I can get it there, lol). Anyone else have any ideas about this aspect of end game strategy??

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AALV3PNlj2QNtj2RAWj@[/CUETABLE]

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
NH Steve said:
One piece of strategy that plays a big role in the end game is "Where do you leave the cue ball when you have to play safe by pocketing a ball hanging in a pocket?" I've put the cue ball in three different spots here that come to my mind as pretty good places to leave the cue ball (if I can get it there, lol). Anyone else have any ideas about this aspect of end game strategy??

That looks pretty good.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It ain't rocket surgery...

It ain't rocket surgery...

blackeee said:
That looks pretty good.

Its a little easier to play safe in the "nitch game", than it is in the "man's game..(one pocket)..IP..:p :p :p (JMHO..ICBW)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What do I do?

What do I do?

NH Steve said:

Simple approach to an answer. The situation is: one ball left on the table. Just ask yourself; which shot would I rather have if I was shooting? The answer should be obvious, you should want to shoot the shot that you are closest to, the one with the cue ball on the foot rail. That shot could be played safely to either pocket on a straight back.
The other question you should ask yourself is, what shot would I like to shoot the least? However, in this case, either shot, A or B, is at about the same level of difficulty, for different reasons.

Beard

Have things been too quiet around here lately? My spidey-senses are starting to tingle.:D :D :D :D :D

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Just got back from the NW BCA tournament and wanted to give thanks to the folks here. Used a bit of the knowledge from Freddy, John and company, and it made a noticable difference. Broke even overall, but for the circumstances/match-up I'll still take that. Gotta put yourself in the ring, right? :eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Just got back from the NW BCA tournament and wanted to give thanks to the folks here. Used a bit of the knowledge from Freddy, John and company, and it made a noticable difference. Broke even overall, but for the circumstances/match-up I'll still take that. Gotta put yourself in the ring, right? :eek:

you never know how good you are until you match up