brumback/pinegar

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

I don't really know how I'd play if I was being staked in a high-dollar game. By that I mean to say that I would not falter for the cash, never have & never will, but I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't change my game for anybody or anything. I wouldn't loosen up and I wouldn't tighten up, I think I'd play the same type game. The right shot is still the right shot and the wrong shot is still the wrong shot. It really doesn't change because of the wager or who made it.

Dennis
I completly understand where your coming from.I'm the same way.I play to win.That's why I was never a good hustler or road player.
I've done It both ways but mostly getting staked.I have played real good on my own $,Suprised myself a few times.lol John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
hey damnit.. there's not much to choose from here, I can't help it that you chose my shot:)

centerball hit? What's that? You mean you can make balls hitting the cueball in the center? hmmmm... actually I've been trying that lately.

I think I would have problems getting the cueball out of the way on that 8 ball. I suppose because the 8 is so close to the rail and because you gots to hit it hard, probably why it aint going to happen:D

I played a guy banks today that gives me 10-5 at onepocket and in a race to 3, he quit on me after I won the 1st game. He said I was too good. Called the game "gay".:eek: This guy is a nightmare to play onepocket (meaning it's very educational) because he is a master at leaving you always froze on top of balls. he's always moving something over on his side, protecting everything and you're shooting froze on top of a ball. He banks good and runs lots of balls, but the 1st time I ever see him play banks... he has a weakness.

But you get ole CaliRed with some balls out there to go to town on banking them in, and these strong onepocket players suddenly take notice. I made some sweet shots on him and he could see the writing on the wall I guess.

I just don't get why people don't enjoy banks. They do all kind of banking in onepocket, why wouldn't you welcome the chance to bank the crap out of everything and not worry about selling out the game. I hear crap like, "it's too slow" How the hell can it be too slow. I run up to the table, shoot a bank and boom! Its your turn.

I think "it's too slow" actually means "I hate it when I miss 6 bank shots in a row and I can't handle it, makes me look like a beginner":D
It's not as slow as onepocket.That's what you tell em.And tell em they might get the rolls on ya In one hole but not In banks.And then tell em to bet more.John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I do employ different options...

I do employ different options...

Cowboy Dennis said:
The only right shot for the cash is to play safe from here:

View attachment 3772

...according to the situation. For 40k against a good player, as John B mentioned, I would have no problem shooting your safety, and that's what I would do in an extreme situation. The only thing I would do differently is to try and put the cue ball in the middle of the back rail, making his return safety just a teensy bit more difficult. I always let the other guy be a hero when the pressure is high. Under pressure, I like to shoot at big percentages. It's usually a good strategy.

Playing by the game, for decent stakes -- and if I was in real good stroke -- I would shoot the shot I mentioned earlier, crossing the ball straight back and pulling the cue ball over to the left rail. There is a small amount of downside, but not much. That would be my attempt at aggressive intimidation. I like to insert aggressiveness at different points when I am playing by the game, just to keep my opponent off balance.

Playing for small stakes, by the game, and if I was feeling good, I might shoot and pinch the straight back and play position. Mostly to have a little fun and do some experimenting. I experiment often when I play for small stakes.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
...according to the situation. For 40k against a good player, as John B mentioned, I would have no problem shooting your safety, and that's what I would do in an extreme situation. The only thing I would do differently is to try and put the cue ball in the middle of the back rail, making his return safety just a teensy bit more difficult. I always let the other guy be a hero when the pressure is high. Under pressure, I like to shoot at big percentages. It's usually a good strategy.

Playing by the game, for decent stakes -- and if I was in real good stroke -- I would shoot the shot I mentioned earlier, crossing the ball straight back and pulling the cue ball over to the left rail. There is a small amount of downside, but not much. That would be my attempt at aggressive intimidation. I like to insert aggressiveness at different points when I am playing by the game, just to keep my opponent off balance.

Playing for small stakes, by the game, and if I was feeling good, I might shoot and pinch the straight back and play position. Mostly to have a little fun and do some experimenting. I experiment often when I play for small stakes.

Beard

Ok then,but what about when the guy that thinks and knows he's the under dog and Is just wating for the least little thing to shoot at?(ya know.when they know they are going to get outmoved) Fred,The straight back I shot couldn't have been crossed.I like that shot too.But there was not near enough angle to make that happen.It was almost dead,just looked like that other ball was In the way,which It wern't.I'm scared of them ole under dogs.Onemore thing to remember.At the DCC It's only a race to 3.I've had some bad beats down there to where I was playing to tight and to many safes.I think I have finally figured out the right process.Thanks for ya'll's help though.haha.Luckily,I just shoot straight I guess.John B. Trying not to argue,just trying to explain my feelings about this.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I understand completely...

I understand completely...

John Brumback said:
Ok then,but what about when the guy that thinks and knows he's the under dog and Is just wating for the least little thing to shoot at?(ya know.when they know they are going to get outmoved) Fred,The straight back I shot couldn't have been crossed.I like that shot too.But there was not near enough angle to make that happen.It was almost dead,just looked like that other ball was In the way,which It wern't.I'm scared of them ole under dogs.Onemore thing to remember.At the DCC It's only a race to 3.I've had some bad beats down there to where I was playing to tight and to many safes.I think I have finally figured out the right process.Thanks for ya'll's help though.haha.Luckily,I just shoot straight I guess.John B. Trying not to argue,just trying to explain my feelings about this.

...They figure they are dead anyway so they will crank at anything. With those guys you need a little psychology. You have to somehow let them know that their shot selection is an embarassment to them. Plus you should be happy that they are going to shoot at bad percentage shots. I have a few other moves against that, but I think I have said enough. Artie was a master at making a bad player try and play "correctly," and try to move with him, which of course he couldnt do. I have a pertinent story about when I played Bucktooth. If I find it I will post it.

As for crossing the ball. According to the photo, I could cross the ball straight back. Its a trick shot using a trick stroke, that I have shot many times when I dont want to bet the whole game on a blast straight back and want to hit the ball pocket speed. I use about a 30 degree masse with english. I have practiced the shot enough to where I am comfortable with it.

Finally, who the hell am I to argue with your success?

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bucktooth story I promised

Bucktooth story I promised

For John Brumback re keeping a weaker player from doing the only thing that he could possibly win with.

"I will now chip in with my first encounter with Richard "Bucktooth" Cook. Years back he came into Bensingers. I didnt know him, and he asked if anyone wanted to play onepocket for $100 a game. He also asked to be spotted 9 to 7. In those days anybody I didn't know that came into Bensingers could get 8 to 7. 9 to 7 to a stranger was a stretch, but I figured I'd shoot 2 barrels at him. Early in the first game, I moved a bunch of balls in front of my pocket and shipped him up table. Without hesitating, he jumped up and popped in a long shot, completely disregarding my loaded pocket. The table we were playing on (table 24) was brutally tough, and the shot he made was very low percentage. At that point I stopped the action, put my cue on the table and proceeded to chastise him.
I told him if he wanted to continue getting the premium spot of 9 to 7 he had better forget about shooting those kind of disrespectful shots, and the next time I load up and ship him up table he had better act like a guy needing a two ball spot, and look to play safe, or I would discontinue aforementioned spot. This forced the 'Tooth to try and win by stalling only, which with my speed then was impossible. He went for 4 or 5 games before he gave in to the futility of his situation. Once I got winner, if he would have opened up, I would have quit anyway, and he eventually realized that. The next day I wouldn't give him the same game."

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
For John Brumback re keeping a weaker player from doing the only thing that he could possibly win with.

"I will now chip in with my first encounter with Richard "Bucktooth" Cook. Years back he came into Bensingers. I didnt know him, and he asked if anyone wanted to play onepocket for $100 a game. He also asked to be spotted 9 to 7. In those days anybody I didn't know that came into Bensingers could get 8 to 7. 9 to 7 to a stranger was a stretch, but I figured I'd shoot 2 barrels at him. Early in the first game, I moved a bunch of balls in front of my pocket and shipped him up table. Without hesitating, he jumped up and popped in a long shot, completely disregarding my loaded pocket. The table we were playing on (table 24) was brutally tough, and the shot he made was very low percentage. At that point I stopped the action, put my cue on the table and proceeded to chastise him.
I told him if he wanted to continue getting the premium spot of 9 to 7 he had better forget about shooting those kind of disrespectful shots, and the next time I load up and ship him up table he had better act like a guy needing a two ball spot, and look to play safe, or I would discontinue aforementioned spot. This forced the 'Tooth to try and win by stalling only, which with my speed then was impossible. He went for 4 or 5 games before he gave in to the futility of his situation. Once I got winner, if he would have opened up, I would have quit anyway, and he eventually realized that. The next day I wouldn't give him the same game."

Beard

Good story Fred,real good! Thanks for that.That reminds me of when Scott Frost
and I were playing a match at the dcc( before we became buds, We got Into It the first time we met In a match) I shot a shot
and he gave me a little speech ( or a little cussin hehe) that I had no respect for him.( It was a bank but If I missed It I was going to leave him,something like a long spot shot)The thing was, I had alot of respect for him and his onepocket game and I knew I had better shoot If I wanted to try to outrun all of his good moves.Fred,I knew there was a reason I never asked you to play back then,although I wanted to.John's not as dumb as he acts.lol John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Now you know what I meant

Now you know what I meant

John Brumback said:
Good story Fred,real good! Thanks for that.That reminds me of when Scott Frost
and I were playing a match at the dcc( before we became buds, We got Into It the first time we met In a match) I shot a shot
and he gave me a little speech ( or a little cussin hehe) that I had no respect for him.( It was a bank but If I missed It I was going to leave him,something like a long spot shot)The thing was, I had alot of respect for him and his onepocket game and I knew I had better shoot If I wanted to try to outrun all of his good moves.Fred,I knew there was a reason I never asked you to play back then,although I wanted to.John's not as dumb as he acts.lol John B.

It was nice of you to say the above also. There are some cynics on here (only a very select few--maybe even only one) that continue to infer that I was a good player in my own mind only. Consistent, I never was, but I did have a good top speed.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
It was nice of you to say the above also. There are some cynics on here (only a very select few--maybe even only one) that continue to infer that I was a good player in my own mind only. Consistent, I never was, but I did have a good top speed.

Beard

So did a Yugo...but not for long...It was a toss-up whether a valve went through a piston, or it overheated,
and seized up...(now theres REAL anolgy) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....:p :p

PS..Some people on here (well maybe only one) lack the capacity to realize a kind person often says kind things, to bolster one's ego...Even though said "one's" ego needs boosting even less than Obama...:rolleyes: (kind person should be very careful, as excessive smoke blowing, could blow the top of 'one's' head off)...:eek:

Last edited:

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
This was a great match. John B. you play and stroke your shots with such confidence, most players would not make the shot you made long rail under that type of pressure, nor would they run out.
To perform under pressure in that situation, on the TV table under the lights, in front of the crowd and to run out is very rare. You are the best bank player for sure.:)

John Brumback

Verified Member
Warren said:
This was a great match. John B. you play and stroke your shots with such confidence, most players would not make the shot you made long rail under that type of pressure, nor would they run out.
To perform under pressure in that situation, on the TV table under the lights, in front of the crowd and to run out is very rare. You are the best bank player for sure.:)

Thanks Warren,ole buddy.Yeah I go back and watch that match every now and then.Pumps me up,that's for sure.LOL.Thanks again!!John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
John,

I mistakenly thought this was a gambling match not a funsy match:) . I suppose that in a race to 3 playing short-rack banks it's pretty much a shootout, meaning shoot at anything that moves. What I do not understand and probably never will is why anybody would shoot a shot that would sell out several balls if they missed, especially a table-length straight-back?

You are correct in that being the strategy though, I've seen a lot of AccuStats bank matches where I'm certain the players would never shoot the same shots for cash. It must be like you said, the underdogs are looking to shoot at a white flag so you have to do the same in return, it just seems strange to me but I'm not a tournament player. I have to wonder what they'd be shooting at if you left no shot? I do realize that a weaker player can run 4 or 5 balls and beat a top player, I guess that puts you on edge enough to shoot at a shot that you normally (for your cash) wouldn't.

P.S. Nobody is arguing, just discussing.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

I mistakenly thought this was a gambling match not a funsy match:) . I suppose that in a race to 3 playing short-rack banks it's pretty much a shootout, meaning shoot at anything that moves. What I do not understand and probably never will is why anybody would shoot a shot that would sell out several balls if they missed, especially a table-length straight-back?

You are correct in that being the strategy though, I've seen a lot of AccuStats bank matches where I'm certain the players would never shoot the same shots for cash. It must be like you said, the underdogs are looking to shoot at a white flag so you have to do the same in return, it just seems strange to me but I'm not a tournament player. I have to wonder what they'd be shooting at if you left no shot? I do realize that a weaker player can run 4 or 5 balls and beat a top player, I guess that puts you on edge enough to shoot at a shot that you normally (for your cash) wouldn't.

Dennis

Thank you,kind Sir.Let me give you a little Insight to the DCC and the races to 3.I have been beaten by players that knew they had no chance.Example: I'm playing Shawn Putman 2 years In a row,(at some of the first dccs) and I had him welded to the end rail so many times,you wouldn't believe It and he jacked up and fired straigght backs In,(not knowing any better and not knowing who I was nor did he care) and he beat me 2 years In a row like that.That's the kind of stuff I have to fade down there.The bet really makes no differnece.Hope that helps you see what I'm talking about better.John B.PS: Yeah but I'll shoot straight backs with anyone In the world too.Most people should not shoot that same shot.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

What I do not understand and probably never will is why anybody would shoot a shot that would sell out several balls if they missed, especially a table-length straight-back?

Dennis

Howdy Cowboy, how ya been? Just an insight from an outside position. I think one of the key words in your sentence is 'anybody'. I believe we can all agree that where the game of bank pool is involved JB is no average anybody. A player with higher than average ability will take shots, with confidence, that lesser players would pass on. This applies to all sports and I suppose life in general. Just a thought from an old bird that spends the day sittin' on a pilin' watchin' the boats go by. :D

Later, Pel