My lesson with JBKY...

mojoe

I also posted the following on the other pool forum... Thought I put it here too for those who don't venture to the dark side.. :)

I wanted to share my lesson experience with World Champion, John Brumback.

We left my place about 6:30 in the morning yesterday, stopped in KY for a greasy but delicious Waffle House breakfast about half way to JB’s place. He gave me detailed directions, even parked his 4 Runner at the end of his driveway so I did not miss his house. Of course, I was not paying attention, only listening to the OnStar GPS and passed up his home. After traveling a few miles past and “arriving at my destination” according to OnStar, I realized we were a bit lost. Called John and headed back to his house in just a few minutes. He gave me a hard time about not seeing his bright red 4 runner and I deserved it.

He has the TV table from Derby 2010 I believe and it’s a beauty with the matching jet black Diamond light. The cloth on his table is of course Simonis Tournament Blue and the table plays real nice. Pockets are just shy of accepting 2 balls but it still plays real fair.

The lesson was amazing. I brought a friend along so John had us play a game at first so he could observe us both. The very first shot, the break, he say a major flaw in my friends fundamentals which helped him immensely. He also corrected 3 things on my setup that I did not even realize I was doing. What a difference and we had not even gotten to working on banks.

We discussed strategy and let me tell you, JB is standing alone on with his strategic thinking, I was blown away. He shared “free shots” that really change the way I think about pool, more specifically banks which is my favorite game. He showed me things that were not covered on the DVD, which is amazing by the way. If you have not purchased it, don’t hesitate. It’s so full of information that has never been covered, it’s scary.

The lesson was not pre-set and I like that. He tailored it to my needs and level of play. JB was able to watch me play just a short while and offer invaluable advice. He squashed the myths of banking that I thought were relevant. He explained and demonstrated how to make banks the proper way. I can tell you that MOST are NOT making banks the “easy” way.
We did take a short break for lunch, John took us to a small, home style country store that served up good food. Home cooking and it was really good.

John was easy to talk to, as nice as anyone that I’ve ever met and very humble considering he’s a world champion. You would not know it by talking to him as he does not boast on his accomplishments. He has plenty of stories though and knows all of the players. It was such a treat to spend a day with a living legend, I’m thrilled beyond words.

Thank you JBKY for the amazing lesson, great conversation and wealth of knowledge that I hope to work into my game. I’ll be working hard to make you proud. I look forward to talking to you at the DCC next week. Knock em’ dead and take another title this year!

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
pockets....

pockets....

...just smaller than 2 balls is perfect.Just the right amount of work and fun I always thought.I used to play banks for years with a world class player and I miss it like the sun as its been a long time now since he left.Glad to hear good things are happenin at JB's place.As Freddie would say,B-O-B,cheers,Bob

John Brumback

Verified Member
I also posted the following on the other pool forum... Thought I put it here too for those who don't venture to the dark side.. :)

I wanted to share my lesson experience with World Champion, John Brumback.

We left my place about 6:30 in the morning yesterday, stopped in KY for a greasy but delicious Waffle House breakfast about half way to JB’s place. He gave me detailed directions, even parked his 4 Runner at the end of his driveway so I did not miss his house. Of course, I was not paying attention, only listening to the OnStar GPS and passed up his home. After traveling a few miles past and “arriving at my destination” according to OnStar, I realized we were a bit lost. Called John and headed back to his house in just a few minutes. He gave me a hard time about not seeing his bright red 4 runner and I deserved it.

He has the TV table from Derby 2010 I believe and it’s a beauty with the matching jet black Diamond light. The cloth on his table is of course Simonis Tournament Blue and the table plays real nice. Pockets are just shy of accepting 2 balls but it still plays real fair.

The lesson was amazing. I brought a friend along so John had us play a game at first so he could observe us both. The very first shot, the break, he say a major flaw in my friends fundamentals which helped him immensely. He also corrected 3 things on my setup that I did not even realize I was doing. What a difference and we had not even gotten to working on banks.

We discussed strategy and let me tell you, JB is standing alone on with his strategic thinking, I was blown away. He shared “free shots” that really change the way I think about pool, more specifically banks which is my favorite game. He showed me things that were not covered on the DVD, which is amazing by the way. If you have not purchased it, don’t hesitate. It’s so full of information that has never been covered, it’s scary.

The lesson was not pre-set and I like that. He tailored it to my needs and level of play. JB was able to watch me play just a short while and offer invaluable advice. He squashed the myths of banking that I thought were relevant. He explained and demonstrated how to make banks the proper way. I can tell you that MOST are NOT making banks the “easy” way.
We did take a short break for lunch, John took us to a small, home style country store that served up good food. Home cooking and it was really good.

John was easy to talk to, as nice as anyone that I’ve ever met and very humble considering he’s a world champion. You would not know it by talking to him as he does not boast on his accomplishments. He has plenty of stories though and knows all of the players. It was such a treat to spend a day with a living legend, I’m thrilled beyond words.

Thank you JBKY for the amazing lesson, great conversation and wealth of knowledge that I hope to work into my game. I’ll be working hard to make you proud. I look forward to talking to you at the DCC next week. Knock em’ dead and take another title this year!

Your welcome and thanks! That was a good day.See ya soon,bud.John B.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for sharing Mojoe -- I'm jealous. I've got a small handful (only needing one hand to count, and not your thumb, either, lol) of local players willing to play Banks now and then, but I'm pretty sure none of us know "the right way". I know more about avoiding the kiss, and "turning banks" than they do in general, but just the basics of what works best on your average banks, no clue -- just hit 'em. I better get that DVD. John, bring me one to DCC -- course it'll be too late to help me in the tournament :D

John Brumback

Verified Member
Thanks for sharing Mojoe -- I'm jealous. I've got a small handful (only needing one hand to count, and not your thumb, either, lol) of local players willing to play Banks now and then, but I'm pretty sure none of us know "the right way". I know more about avoiding the kiss, and "turning banks" than they do in general, but just the basics of what works best on your average banks, no clue -- just hit 'em. I better get that DVD. John, bring me one to DCC -- course it'll be too late to help me in the tournament :D

You got It Steve! On the house too.John B.