Truman Hogue vs. "Piggy Bank" Rogers 2001 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Truth and Consequences,

I will put this shot up for debate at the Cincinnati bank tourn Mar 23rd, just for kicks. No matter the outcome, my mind isnt going to change, and I am sure Jesus couldnt change yours. I do this only for the more open minded people on the forum.

One and stop! Now you really dug yourself a hole. If we eliminated straight backs from over 3 ft, I aint sure who the hell would have to like that game.

Beard

Well??? Are the Hoi Polloi to be denied??? What did the Masters say???

Cowboy "inquiring minds want to know" Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I didnt forget

I didnt forget

Well??? Are the Hoi Polloi to be denied??? What did the Masters say???

Cowboy "inquiring minds want to know" Dennis

This is the PM reply I made to an interested poster. I was going to let this thing die, but naturally you cant help yourself, and are going to re stir the soup. This is in regard to whether to shoot at the give-up cross-side needing all 3 balls, or play the stall safety that Dr Bill recommended.

Tony Coleman, TJ, Brian Roberts, Louis DeMarco, George Pawelski, all would have shot at the cross side. (my choice) Chris Gentile and Brian Gregg would have played safe. Later, Brian said he wasnt sure.

Beard

I dont count Gentile's answer as he drove down with Cardone, and while he can now beat everybody in Chicago playing banks, he has no genuine banking background. (On the other hand Pawelski drove down with me, but I swear I didnt prompt him for an answer in my favor)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I was going to let this thing die, but naturally you cant help yourself, and are going to re stir the soup.

Beard
wincardona said:
You make a lot of good points, as do I, and if either you or I disagree all we can do is offer an explanation why we see it differently and move on. Let the players that want to learn make up their own mind, who knows maybe the'll take a little from both of us.
wincardona said:
Like I said before, you have other jobs beside creating controversial situations that you can stir the pot with.
wincardona said:
We put our thoughts out there for whomever wanted to adopt a way of thinking and playing, at least they have a choice. That's what's great about this site. I only wish there were other players that would participate in debates of this kind, we would all be for the better if there were.
timdog24 said:
The best part about this site (for a banger like myself) is when the top players have DIFFERENT views on what they would do in a certain situation. I thoroughly enjoy reading WHY the better players would do this or that.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Let's all remember that it's the different opinions and ways of looking at things and presenting these ideas that makes these simple layouts interesting. No need for hurt feelings or "my way or the highway" type thinking. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. It's the differences that I find interesting. Top players having opposing points of view on a shot and stating their reasons is more interesting than all of you agreeing every time I post a layout.

I think people need to decide what they want here. There seems to be a disconnect when people argue a shot choice for days. I'm not to blame for you guys typing your posts, you are responsible for it.

Take responsibility for what you write or don't write it. When you write it, stand behind it and don't blame it on me for what you wrote.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is the PM reply I made to an interested poster. I was going to let this thing die, but naturally you cant help yourself, and are going to re stir the soup. This is in regard to whether to shoot at the give-up cross-side needing all 3 balls, or play the stall safety that Dr Bill recommended.

Tony Coleman, TJ, Brian Roberts, Louis DeMarco, George Pawelski, all would have shot at the cross side. (my choice) Chris Gentile and Brian Gregg would have played safe. Later, Brian said he wasnt sure.

Beard

I dont count Gentile's answer as he drove down with Cardone, and while he can now beat everybody in Chicago playing banks, he has no genuine banking background. (On the other hand Pawelski drove down with me, but I swear I didnt prompt him for an answer in my favor)
That's funny, I wasn't privy, or had any knowledge of how the players you mentioned sided. I was only a witness to how Gentile, Gregg, and Truman felt about the situation. And if you remember they were all adamant about the cross side bank option as a very weak choice. But your right about me driving down with Chris, we had a hardy laugh talking about the absurdity of the cross side option.:D

And what's this thing about Gentile not having a banking background? This choice has nothing to do with a banking background, and everything to do about playing intelligently. Personally I value the answers from players that know how to win( like Gentile)more than I do from any other source, after all this is about winning.:p

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Werent you there when....

Werent you there when....

That's funny, I wasn't privy, or had any knowledge of how the players you mentioned sided. I was only a witness to how Gentile, Gregg, and Truman felt about the situation. And if you remember they were all adamant about the cross side bank option as a very weak choice. But your right about me driving down with Chris, we had a hardy laugh talking about the absurdity of the cross side option.:D

And what's this thing about Gentile not having a banking background? This choice has nothing to do with a banking background, and everything to do about playing intelligently. Personally I value the answers from players that know how to win( like Gentile)more than I do from any other source, after all this is about winning.:p

Dr. Bill

Werent you in the room when I made the announcement at the Cincy tournament? Somebody barked at me and I made a very loud announcement that, "if anybody here thinks that they know more about bank pool than me, now is the time to speak up!" I followed that up with, "if you think you might even know somebody who might know more than me, declare yourself."

With all those champs around, I got zero feedback on that challenge. (as expected)

Beard

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I think people need to decide what they want here. There seems to be a disconnect when people argue a shot choice for days. I'm not to blame for you guys typing your posts, you are responsible for it.

Take responsibility for what you write or don't write it. When you write it, stand behind it and don't blame it on me for what you wrote.

Dennis

Tell em there Mr Sunshine. I remember when you were in SC for a while. You gave a little talk to the new members of One Pocket dot org. I actually recorded it. They had just graduated from Herman University and really needed some guidance. I think you went by the road name of Hartman.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peRA28m9uzY&feature=related[/ame]

John Brumback

Verified Member
Werent you in the room when I made the announcement at the Cincy tournament? Somebody barked at me and I made a very loud announcement that, "if anybody here thinks that they know more about bank pool than me, now is the time to speak up!" I followed that up with, "if you think you might even know somebody who might know more than me, declare yourself."

With all those champs around, I got zero feedback on that challenge. (as expected)

Beard

I guess I missed all that.I was there all day Sat. up untill that night.Did you say that before or after I was there? John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dennis

I guess I'm on "ignore" in at least two states.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Beard

I kinda remember that, maybe you're too intimidating and all those guys were afraid of a confrontation with you. But you're living proof that even the best makes mistakes.:D Anyways your fun to be around, even if your not perfect.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I guess I missed all that.I was there all day Sat. up untill that night.Did you say that before or after I was there? John B.

john
since things have been kind of mellow lately here.....:eek:
and id never want to stir up any trouble....:D
you can just pm me your answer to the question
and it will be just between us.....:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
freddy
sometimes the youngins surpass the olduns...(not always...:))
but not until they get oldun enough to have the experience
thats why WISDOM comes with age
talent cant be taught
wisdom and experience cant be taught either
jmho
icbw
p.s. freddy knows and so does john they are in my great player respect what they say list
as are many others who post regularly
did not make a list so if i forgot anyone no feelers would be hurt

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
john

Ok Larry,But first I have to go way back and look and see what the question was.:lol John B.
PS: I was just covering my tracks..so to speak;)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
john

Larry,

Catfishbreath already gave his answer in post #59:

Catfishbreath said:
Well thanks guys.I didn't know I would ever be missed..Ok,no I'm not shooting the 9ball cross side.I would jack up and try to ease the cball back to the bottom rail with low left.Off the 8ball that is.Carry on good people.John B.

RBL

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Dennis

I don't have you on ignore, but I have to admit it's an appealing option. So instead of ducking i'll still shoot at my hole, just have to shoot straighter. But i'm still not shooting the cross side bank on the 9 ball. I'm not that crazy.

Players that wouldn't shoot the cross side bank are, Gentile, Bryan Gregg, Truman, Brumback, and Dr. Bill. Players that would shoot the cross side bank are, the Beard and Evil Knievel. What about you?

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I don't have you on ignore, but I have to admit it's an appealing option. So instead of ducking i'll still shoot at my hole, just have to shoot straighter. But i'm still not shooting the cross side bank on the 9 ball. I'm not that crazy.

Players that wouldn't shoot the cross side bank are, Gentile, Bryan Gregg, Truman, Brumback, and Dr. Bill. Players that would shoot the cross side bank are, the Beard and Evil Knievel. What about you?

Dr. Bill

Put me on "ignore", I will never care. Any person I can cross off the list of people I feel a need to communicate with is fine with me. Anybody.

If you want to know what I would shoot it would be the same as Awful Knofull would've shot.

I posted my reply in post #117

Cowboy Dennis said:
I would've shot the same safety Truman shot and put PBank on the headrail.

Dennis

Now you know the rest of the story.

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member

Dennis

Well "rustybeer"breath
I agree with ya ole buddy.Truman shot a very strong safe off of that 9ball just like you said you would have done.Must have been a pretty good safe for Piggy to try to shoot that 8ball "through" those other balls.:eek::lol
PS: I just went and read evry bit of all that again.You might be runnin low on shots or is your ole rusty PC still broke down.Which is it,"gangland" breath??
And don't say you have to work every now and then:p. John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Well "rustybeer"breath

PS: I just went and read evry bit of all that again.You might be runnin low on shots or is your ole rusty PC still broke down.Which is it,"gangland" breath??
And don't say you have to work every now and then:p. John B.

Dear Catfishbreath,

The PC still ain't right. I can't use "emoticons" and I can't post "pics". It's running very slow, kind of like a Kentucky banker, I hope to get it fixed soon but no promises.

Dennis

JustAGuy

Portchester Mickey

Portchester Mickey

Ive been wondering if anybody knew when Portchester Mickey died? Year and date? I know thats an awful strange question but I guy once told me he was him reincarnated and proceeded to get hit with lighting bolt through the ceiling of the building and then ran out the set on a 4 in diamond 9 fter in cincinatti ohio. Anyone know when Mickey died? Year and date

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
This is from Sept 2009 BD.

"But the first 9-baller I ever heard draw that kind of lofty praise was far lower-profile, and by design. That would be New York’s late Mike Carpinello, better known to insiders as Mickey from Port Chester. Part of the reason Mickey had no reputation much beyond the East Coast is that, like any number of top guns of his era, he had virtually no regard for pool except to enable another, far more clandestine lifestyle. But he booked no losers, playing the most beautiful 9-ball anyone could remember. Even if it took a reasonably hard shot to get himself in line, he had nothing more challenging than two feet away thereafter. “Mickey,” asked his pal Freddy “The Beard” Bentivegna years ago, whilst stuffing his pockets with his share of yet another successful road trip, “Can you even play? I never see ya doin’ anything I couldn’t do in my first two weeks at pool. No bleep, now: are you any good?”

Just wondering if Freddie remembers this.

Pel