"PiggyBanks" vs. E. Strickland 2012 D.C.C.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Seriously though, here's what it means John: Whenever you bank a ball you have a certain area on the rail that the object ball can hit and be pocketed. I'm asking you if we agree that that area is made smaller by the use of inside english(even 1/4 tip).

Dennis

It goes back to fixing the angle. If you know the rebound of the rails, once you know how it kicks back, you find that angle and it's set. When you talk about no-english banks, what do you mean? Stun shot? Draw? Does the stun shot start turning over before contact with the rail? By fixing the angle, you eliminate so many variables, so in a way you do have a little more play with the hit. The area should stay about the same either way, but you've got more things that can go wrong if you don't lock it in. IMHO, that's why so many straight-backs are rifled in - they find that angle, fix it and make it go.. there's no worry about it going wide by hitting it too soft, or your english falling off, etc etc. When I can, I shorten up the angle as much as I can and force it in, not worrying about hitting too soft or with too much english or english wearing off, on and on. I think this ties into the scratch angles and differing speeds of bankers.. find the shot, miss the scratch and set your leave if you need one. Speed, english and paths are a necessity of knowing what you're doing. I know I'm no pro, but what I've figured out over the years just makes sense and is reinforced by seeing what the real good players do. Rambling complete.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It goes back to fixing the angle. If you know the rebound of the rails, once you know how it kicks back, you find that angle and it's set. When you talk about no-english banks, what do you mean? Stun shot? Draw? Does the stun shot start turning over before contact with the rail? By fixing the angle, you eliminate so many variables, so in a way you do have a little more play with the hit. The area should stay about the same either way, but you've got more things that can go wrong if you don't lock it in. IMHO, that's why so many straight-backs are rifled in - they find that angle, fix it and make it go.. there's no worry about it going wide by hitting it too soft, or your english falling off, etc etc. When I can, I shorten up the angle as much as I can and force it in, not worrying about hitting too soft or with too much english or english wearing off, on and on. I think this ties into the scratch angles and differing speeds of bankers.. find the shot, miss the scratch and set your leave if you need one. Speed, english and paths are a necessity of knowing what you're doing. I know I'm no pro, but what I've figured out over the years just makes sense and is reinforced by seeing what the real good players do. Rambling complete.

Completely non-responsive to my quoted post. A yes or no would suffice.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
At the risk of being admonished I totally agree with your summation, even though this isn't my debate I enjoyed reading your logic, and it made good sense to me.

Dr. Bill

Yella Quinella

I like shooting the one straight into the corner pocket, and following the cue ball to the center diamond on the end rail. My opponent is gonna be jacked up trying to do something with the 8 ball. Since I'm not a runout bank player, I want to get all the balls past the side pocket, and put the cue ball up against that top rail every shot.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I like shooting the one straight into the corner pocket, and following the cue ball to the center diamond on the end rail. My opponent is gonna be jacked up trying to do something with the 8 ball. Since I'm not a runout bank player, I want to get all the balls past the side pocket, and put the cue ball up against that top rail every shot.

Let me interject here and give you a word of advice from a 50 yr veteran of this game. At least 95% of the time that you have a ball that can go cross- corner or cross-side, choose to shoot it cross-side. Cross-side is the most powerful shot in bank pool. Short distance to travel into a big pocket.
The ease at which one can make a cross-side usually outweighs most safety considerations.

Beard

Yella Quinella

Let me interject here and give you a word of advice from a 50 yr veteran of this game. At least 95% of the time that you have a ball that can go cross- corner or cross-side, choose to shoot it cross-side. Cross-side is the most powerful shot in bank pool. Short distance to travel into a big pocket.
The ease at which one can make a cross-side usually outweighs most safety considerations.

Beard

I'm not saying bank it cross corner, I'm saying play the one straight in as a safety so it goes up on the spot, and playing the cue ball to the center diamond on the top rail.