S. Daulton vs. R. Saez 2012 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
:eek:His priority is controlling the cue ball in this position, he can't afford to leave the table where the cue ball will be left at the foot end of the table. There are two options that I see that are both viable, providing you can execute them.

#1. He can think aggressively and bank the 6 ball two cushions to the pocket to his right (top left corner) and draw the cue ball to the top rail. Emphasis should be directed to more cue ball than 6 ball, but still try to score the ball. This shot should be hit with the speed to control both balls. (cue ball and 6 ball)

Sorry got to go
I'm back to explain the other option.

#2. I like banking the 6 ball cross table between the 5 and 9 balls, using a center ball. Many players will use a tip of inside english shooting this shot imo it's not safe to shoot it in that fashion, too risky. You can either scratch one rail into the side or corner depending on either the hit or amount of english you use.

** Another option would be to bank the 6 ball one cushion to the top left pocket, this shot to me is very risky because of the return shots that you could leave shooting it. If this shot is hit reasonably well it could double the corner and sell out an easy cross corner bank with position potential.:eek: I've been burned too many times with this shot, to some they might like it but not my choice.:sorry

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
I don't see the six going two rails in the corner, it could go two rails in the side.

I like banking the six softly towards the cluster of balls, concentrating on bringing the cueball ball back to the head rail, near the center diamond.

If I was a hall-of-famer like some of you guys, or Bugs Rucker, I would probably just bank the nine straight back, stop the cueball, and then bank the five cross corner for the win. :D

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
:eek:His priority is controlling the cue ball in this position, he can't afford to leave the table where the cue ball will be left at the foot end of the table. There are two options that I see that are both viable, providing you can execute them.

#1. He can think aggressively and bank the 6 ball two cushions to the pocket to his right (top left corner) and draw the cue ball to the top rail. Emphasis should be directed to more cue ball than 6 ball, but still try to score the ball. This shot should be hit with the speed to control both balls. (cue ball and 6 ball)

Sorry got to go

#2. I like banking the 6 ball cross table between the 5 and 9 balls, using a center ball. Many players will use a tip of inside english shooting this shot imo it's not safe to shoot it in that fashion, too risky. You can either scratch one rail into the side or corner depending on either the hit or amount of english you use.

** Another option would be to bank the 6 ball one cushion to the top left pocket, this shot to me is very risky because of the return shots that you could leave shooting it. If this shot is hit reasonably well it could double the corner and sell out an easy cross corner bank with position potential.:eek: I've been burned too many times with this shot, to some they might like it but not my choice.:sorry

Dr. Bill

Both options are stiffs, especially the 2 in the side. If you can control the speed of both balls on this shot I will move next door to SczBill. (Draw the ball 4 diamonds and keep the object ball from going past the side pocket?)option #2
The way it lays on the 6 ball looks like you will have to pocket the 6 in the side in order to get back down table. Hitting it full enough to get to the good side of the side pocket will probably slow the cue ball down considerably. So much so that it probably wouldnt go past the side pocket on the return trip.

Beard

However, I agree completely on the 3rd option with you, that it is a stiff.
Your batting average is improving, you got 1 out of 3 right.:lol

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't see the six going two rails in the corner, it could go two rails in the side.

I like banking the six softly towards the cluster of balls, concentrating on bringing the cueball ball back to the head rail, near the center diamond.

If I was a hall-of-famer like some of you guys, or Bugs Rucker, I would probably just bank the nine straight back, stop the cueball, and then bank the five cross corner for the win. :D
That's the shot I'd look at. However the 6 is laying a little precariously. On the side view it looks like the shooter could cut it so as to bank it to the cluster and roll the CB uptable to the head rail. But from the aerial view, it looks like the 6 would have to be hit full enough that it would: 1. cause the 6 to possibly double bank, or 2. to not allow enough steam on the CB to get back uptable.

Beard may be right, that the 6 may have to be cut in the side, which brings a possible scratch into play. Also I wouldn't be wanting to leave the 6 on the spot, depending upon where whitey ends up.

The 9-ball might be able to be rolled in straight back, but it certainly doesn't look like it could go with any speed. That means that the CB would be left down in no-man's land for return banks by the opponent.

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Sorry got to go

Dr. Bill

what would you do?

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I wouldn't try messing with the 9 unless I'm spot on. I'd take the 6 back with a little draw to zig-zag the CB. You miss that 9 and you could be up a creek real quick. I would just hope that letting the CB somewhat loose wouldn't bite me in the ass when going for the 6.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Both options are stiffs, especially the 2 in the side. (WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT 2 IN THE SIDE?, IT'S THE 6 BALL AND IT GOES TWO IN THE CORNER) If you can control the speed of both balls on this shot I will move next door to SczBill. (Draw the ball 4 diamonds and keep the object ball from going past the side pocket?)option #2 (OPTION #2 LAYS PERFECT TO CUT CROSS BANK THE 6 BALL CROSS TABLE BETWEEN THE 5 AND 9 BALLS. i CAN EXECUTE THIS SHOT 100% OF THE TIME)
The way it lays on the 6 ball looks like you will have to pocket the 6 in the side in order to get back down table. Hitting it full enough to get to the good side of the side pocket will probably slow the cue ball down considerably. So much so that it probably wouldnt go past the side pocket on the return trip.

Beard

However, I agree completely on the 3rd option with you, that it is a stiff.
Your batting average is improving, you got 1 out of 3 right.:lol
What are you putting in your meatballs, acid?
I have noticed that you have this guy from Detroit endorsing all your rebuttals, invite him to Chicago when I go there, around mid August. The three of us can eat spaghetti and play both banks and one pocket, don't forget about inviting the Ghost too.:lol

While i'm there I can wright a book about banks that go, which i'll name the book "Banks that go and do" Plus i'll autograph all three books for you and your other two cheer leaders and then you guy's can pick up a few pointers about not only how to play better, but also how to win while playing.:D:sorry:D

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I guess I need to get Beard's books and DVD's because I'm still not seeing the six two rails in the corner.

I must concede to Billy boy. I thought he meant 2 in the side. 2 in the corner can go. It can go on new cloth, but on older cloth you would need a little rt hand english to bring it short enough. It is a possible option, but you would have to blast it to make sure the 6 ball returns to the foot of the table. What often happens, however is the ball will bobble in the intended corner and then stay on the head of the table, leaving cross side or cross corner.
This also happens often on straight backs when one is trying to shoot it and play safe by pulling the cue ball back to the head rail. The difference between the difficulty of a straight back and a 2 in the corner however, is significant. That's why it is usually ok to shoot the straight back but pass on the 2 in the corner.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I guess I need to get Beard's books and DVD's because I'm still not seeing the six two rails in the corner.

The main purpose of the shot is to draw the cue ball back to the top rail, I agree that the angle for the two rail shot is not the greatest but it's possible to make the shot. I set the shot up and had good success with the cue ball but not nearly as much with the 6 ball. The 6 ball has a better chance of going four rails in the side but I was afraid if I would of suggested that shot I would of been under a nuclear attack from both Chicago and Detroit. But option#2 cross banking the 6 ball between the 5 and 9 balls is a hanger.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I must concede to Billy boy. I thought he meant 2 in the side. 2 in the corner can go. It can go on new cloth, but on older cloth you would need a little rt hand english to bring it short enough. It is a possible option, but you would have to blast it to make sure the 6 ball returns to the foot of the table. What often happens, however is the ball will bobble in the intended corner and then stay on the head of the table, leaving cross side or cross corner.
This also happens often on straight backs when one is trying to shoot it and play safe by pulling the cue ball back to the head rail. The difference between the difficulty of a straight back and a 2 in the corner however, is significant. That's why it is usually ok to shoot the straight back but pass on the 2 in the corner.

Beard
Your concession is appreciated, you're starting to come around now and yes there is hope for you. :) I was starting to think that we were losing you but as a resilient player as you are I never gave up on you. Welcome back.:D:D

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The main purpose of the shot is to draw the cue ball back to the top rail, I agree that the angle for the two rail shot is not the greatest but it's possible to make the shot. I set the shot up and had good success with the cue ball but not nearly as much with the 6 ball. The 6 ball has a better chance of going four rails in the side but I was afraid if I would of suggested that shot I would of been under a nuclear attack from both Chicago and Detroit. But option#2 cross banking the 6 ball between the 5 and 9 balls is a hanger.

Dr. Bill

Out of the mouths of babes.... IMO that is the shot! This would insure the proper speed control on the 6 ball. All you have to do -- and it aint all that hard -- is make sure you catch the long rail on the 3rd rail. It is laying natural. That is the shot! That is a big free shot, and I would certainly shoot it. Certainly, especially if it was the 7 ball. (private joke)

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Can't believe you called him a babe... maybe he'll take it as a compliment.:)

Freddy, if you will, tell me why you like the four railer better than two in the side. Thanks.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I have noticed that you have this guy from Detroit endorsing all your rebuttals, invite him to Chicago when I go there, around mid August. The three of us can eat spaghetti and play both banks and one pocket.:lol

Dr. Bill

Dear "A Decade Late" Breath,

If we ever were to play (not likely anymore) I'm certain it would be a burden eased for you, knowing as you would at the outset, that you'd never need to put pen to paper explaining to me, as you did with that imbecile in Florida, just exactly how I should best compose my thoughts, tropes & gambits in the furtherance of convincing my stakehorses, backers or hairy-legs to put me in the box against you. I would be betting my own.

Cowboy "everybody wants to play now" Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Out of the mouths of babes.... IMO that is the shot! This would insure the proper speed control on the 6 ball. All you have to do -- and it aint all that hard -- is make sure you catch the long rail on the 3rd rail. It is laying natural. That is the shot! That is a big free shot, and I would certainly shoot it...

I never even saw that shot as a possibility. But what are you going to do with the cue ball? And why shoot a trick shot when you're ahead 3-1? It looks to me like if the 6 didn't go, which it probably wouldn't, there's a good chance of selling out a return straight-back or cross-side.

Are you sure you're not just being kind to Pittsburgh Billy because he was mindful of even mentioning that shot?:confused:

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dear "A Decade Late" Breath,

If we ever were to play (not likely anymore) I'm certain it would be a burden eased for you, knowing as you would at the outset, that you'd never need to put pen to paper explaining to me, as you did with that imbecile in Florida, just exactly how I should best compose my thoughts, tropes & gambits in the furtherance of convincing my stakehorses, backers or hairy-legs to put me in the box against you. I would be betting my own.

Cowboy "everybody wants to play now" Dennis
That was impressive, eloquently stated. But allow me to try interpret what you just said, if I may.:) The way I understand it is that we'll probably never play.(means that we're not going to play):D But in the event that we ever do (but I know we're not)
You will be betting your own.:cool: Are you sure?
But if we do play, promise not to get too angry when I try to explain to you that the players that gave me the most problems were the players from Detroit. Plus, i'm old now and my consistency is gone, so would you like to play?

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I never even saw that shot as a possibility. But what are you going to do with the cue ball? And why shoot a trick shot when you're ahead 3-1? It looks to me like if the 6 didn't go, which it probably wouldn't, there's a good chance of selling out a return straight-back or cross-side.

Are you sure you're not just being kind to Pittsburgh Billy because he was mindful of even mentioning that shot?:confused:

Doc
Dr. Arthur, I promised you that if you came to Tunica I would improve your game a ball, i'll start here because you're from Pittsburgh.

There are many shots that most players feel are trick shots, but their actually disguised as trick shots, which allows certain players to discreetly relieve you of your $$$$$:D Don't be a hater.;)

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Doc

Ok i'm done f@@king with you, now i'll undress the disguise.:)

In this situation what we know is that we cannot leave the cue ball at the foot end of the table, so ultimately what we would like to do is score a bank, but if missed leave the cue ball at the head end of the table, close to a cushion. :heh Now that's when we need to start using our imagination, like I mentioned at first about banking the 6 ball two in the corner.:D Well the strength of banking the 6 ball two in the corner is that if hit with the right speed and with a good stroke, the cue ball will be drawn to the end rail and the 6 ball will be banked two cushions toward the top right pocket with the speed if missed to leave the area. That's playing the percentages. But there's a slight problem with that shot, but not enough of a problem to not shoot it. The problem with that shot is, that a certain % of the time the 6 ball will double the corners of the pocket and not leave the area.:eek: But like I said "not enough times not to shoot it" But lets now take this shot a step forward. If this shot is missed short, it will bounce off the end rail and go straight down table.:cool: But if this shot is missed long it will go 4 cushions toward the side pocket;) Now I think we're on to something here. Why don't we play it 4 cushions in the side? With playing it 4 cushions in the side your margin for error is greater, plus you'll lessen the percentages that the ball will stay up table. Now that may appear as a trick shot, which actually it kinda is, but who's tricked?

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Ok i'm done f@@king with you, now i'll undress the disguise.:)

In this situation what we know is that we cannot leave the cue ball at the foot end of the table, so ultimately what we would like to do is score a bank, but if missed leave the cue ball at the head end of the table, close to a cushion. :heh Now that's when we need to start using our imagination, like I mentioned at first about banking the 6 ball two in the corner.:D Well the strength of banking the 6 ball two in the corner is that if hit with the right speed and with a good stroke, the cue ball will be drawn to the end rail and the 6 ball will be banked two cushions toward the top right pocket with the speed if missed to leave the area. That's playing the percentages. But there's a slight problem with that shot, but not enough of a problem to not shoot it. The problem with that shot is, that a certain % of the time the 6 ball will double the corners of the pocket and not leave the area.:eek: But like I said "not enough times not to shoot it" But lets now take this shot a step forward. If this shot is missed short, it will bounce off the end rail and go straight down table.:cool: But if this shot is missed long it will go 4 cushions toward the side pocket;) Now I think we're on to something here. Why don't we play it 4 cushions in the side? With playing it 4 cushions in the side your margin for error is greater, plus you'll lessen the percentages that the ball will stay up table. Now that may appear as a trick shot, which actually it kinda is, but who's tricked?

Dr. Bill

On further review I have to concede that the 4 in the side is too tough a shot considering the depth and angle shown with the shot..:eek: The angle demands a hard hit with a fairly deep cut that needs to be hit accurately, a little too much to ask even though the design of the shot is a good one. But I still believe the two in the corner is the right shot, much easier hit, based off of the speed needed to succeed with the shot is more controllable, bottom line.

For the 4 in the side to be the better option you would need a straighter angle and a little closer shot. It's much easier and predictable to control the cue ball when you need speed with the shot, to be shooting at a straighter angle. With a straighter angle the speed needed to execute the shot is much less[/B because you are going into the meat of the ball which will transfer more speed with the object ball. Less velocity, easier hit, more controllable.

I promise I won't change my mind again.:sorry

Dr. Bill