Banks Using Inside To Open The Angle #2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Since all the WEI tables are gone from the other thread on this topic in the main forum and we now have a Bank forum I thought I'd post the same shot here as I know I did there.

This shot is a perfect example of using inside to open the angle. I put the 10 on the table because that's where the 2nd ball was when I made this shot on Miami, probably about 10 years ago. I made the bank and missed the 10.

cbd's shot.jpg3.jpg

cbd's shot.jpg4.jpg

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
How does inside on that shot open the angle? I'm thinking you cut it a little further over than you may suspect. But, I suck in comparison, so I'll just wait and see what other people say. :eek:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What does open the angle mean? The bank referenced imo can be cut more with outside (left english) english, but controlling the cue ball is more of a problem using outside english. I can bank the ball in the side pocket using outside english, probably even short of the side.

The only thing that makes sense to me with using inside english is that the object ball will lengthen coming off the rail, sorta like a slide as opposed to a bounce but the ball itself can be cut more with outside english which to me seems like you can open the angle even more because of that.:confused:

Dr. Bill

oldroller

Verified Member
First time

First time

I have weighed in here butI shoot this shot with right & maybe a little low.Left hand english would let the cueball go,is my thinking correct?

Jimmy B

Verified Member
You need to go to the table and work on shots, like Dr. Bill says. Here is a draw stroke shot to practice. Is he using low center or inside low? The draw on his second shot here seems to take after contact with the ball and after contact with the rail. An old Cowboy Jimmy Moore stroke. A crowd pleaser. Who can say what is possible with a stroke like this guy has and lots of practice.......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDrZK6VpuU[/ame]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You need to go to the table and work on shots, like Dr. Bill says. Here is a draw stroke shot to practice. Is he using low center or inside low? The draw on his second shot here seems to take after contact with the ball and after contact with the rail. An old Cowboy Jimmy Moore stroke. A crowd pleaser. Who can say what is possible with a stroke like this guy has and lots of practice.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDrZK6VpuU

jimmyB i think it has to be inside low based on how the cue ball turned coming off the rail before the ballarina dance

John Brumback

Verified Member
Here's another bank that is easier pocketed with inside. I think B. Stroud brought this shot up in the other forum.

View attachment 6504

I'm a little scared to dissagree with you but If I had to see how many times I could make this shot, say the best out of ten,I would rather shoot this shot with outside,which would be right english.But then again maybe your talking about killing the cball down table.I'm thinking I would scratch 3 rails in the corner alot.This is not a fact, just mho on how I like to shoot this type of shot:) John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Here's another bank that is easier pocketed with inside. I think B. Stroud brought this shot up in the other forum.

View attachment 6504
This is a very difficult bank regardless of how it's shot, right or left english. But if I am forced to shoot it i'm going to use low left for a few reasons. Like I said this is a very difficult hit, with this understanding low left will offer you more of a controlled shot with the cue ball, where as right english will put the cue ball in more jeoporady for scratching in either the top right pocket and also the three cushion scratch. Plus with right english you will sell out an easier shot much more often than using low left.

Believe it or not, with low left it's possible to scratch twice cross corner into the top left pocket.:eek: But i'll still use low left and take my chances.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Following the great recent posts about banks, on this and the other thread, I get the distinct impression that the use of inside english is always out of concern for the cue ball. Everyone seems agreed that the banks are best made with outside english. Two different priorities, so to speak.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Following the great recent posts about banks, on this and the other thread, I get the distinct impression that the use of inside english is always out of concern for the cue ball. Everyone seems agreed that the banks are best made with outside english. Two different priorities, so to speak.
That pretty much sums it up, using inside english on a high percentage of bank shots are for better control with the cue ball. But there are obviously bank shots that need to be hit with an inside ball to be able to pocket them, any other english will not work.

Learning to bank with inside english will for certain improve one's one pocket game, like you said banking with inside english you'll have better control with the cue ball, and one pocket is a game that you need control in, in order to play it well. Not only that but there are shots that show often where you need to use inside english on a bank to start a run and if you're confident in shooting them it can make the difference in winning, or struggling to win. Not that you didn't already know that, but just in case.;)

Dr. Bill

John Brumback

Verified Member
I went back and doubled checked.This is the BANK pool forum:lol Yeah if I'm playing one pocket I'm going to shoot the shot with inside but not playing bank pool.:) John B.
(maybe not one pocket either)

Last edited:

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
I'm a little scared to dissagree with you but If I had to see how many times I could make this shot, say the best out of ten,I would rather shoot this shot with outside,which would be right english.But then again maybe your talking about killing the cball down table.I'm thinking I would scratch 3 rails in the corner alot.This is not a fact, just mho on how I like to shoot this type of shot:) John B.

outside would be right english on this shot you say, is that because the ball is froze to the rail?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

View attachment 6504

outside would be right english on this shot you say, is that because the ball is froze to the rail?

sidepocketkid
this is the bank brunback was refering to (see attachment in dennis quote)
not the original bank
because you are banking the ball to your corner pocket
the cue ball is cutting the object ball to the left
when you cut a ball to the left
right hand english is outside english
it has nothing to do with the ball being froze
thats how i understand it

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
sidepocketkid
this is the bank brunback was refering to (see attachment in dennis quote)
not the original bank
because you are banking the ball to your corner pocket
the cue ball is cutting the object ball to the left
when you cut a ball to the left
right hand english is outside english
it has nothing to do with the ball being froze
thats how i understand it

thanks..............