Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vernon elliott bank

a saturday morning shot to try
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5tbr4N0P_w&list=PL0EDB4BFCE6C8E3DC[/ame]

banks

I played Vernon for the cash/low/stakes, back in the 80's, when he began making some really unusual banks i knew it was him, no one wanted to kill his action by giving me his name. We played at Parkmoor in Louisville for 4 hours 30 bucks a rack, broke even, was glad to have done that well playing Vernon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
      I played Vernon for the cash/low/stakes, back in the 80's, when he began making some really unusual banks i knew it was him, no one wanted to kill his action by giving me his name. We played at Parkmoor in Louisville for 4 hours 30 bucks a rack, broke even, was glad to have done that well playing Vernon.
      Yeah, you had a tiger by the tail, fo sho!
      Just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Cues
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
        I wonder if it's required to have a FAULTY stroke to produce this shot, as Bob Jewett has by following thru across the cue ball crooked, instead of using a , "straight thru" stroke!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Comment

Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post
          I wonder if it's required to have a FAULTY stroke to produce this shot, as Bob Jewett has by following thru across the cue ball crooked, instead of using a , "straight thru" stroke! Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
          Heh, heh. I think Bob was using Back Hand English (BHE), or some form of it. He's always been a good player with sound mechanics, who has been a certified pool instructor for many years. But the stroke he utilized for this particular shot does give the appearance of amateurism.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
            Heh, heh. I think Bob was using Back Hand English (BHE), or some form of it. He's always been a good player with sound mechanics, who has been a certified pool instructor for many years. But the stroke he utilized for this particular shot does give the appearance of amateurism.

Doc
            Doc; The video speaks for it's self!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Comment

vernon elliott bank

Think maybe its because he is pinching the cue ball between his tip and the rail to maximize his English?
              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
              -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, the player shooting the shot knows how to pocket the ball and what needs to be done to do just that. Strange idea I know.

Comment

Worth a try.

That was a great shot faulty stroke or not, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Comment

Some of the old, old-timers used to teach that stroke for certain shots (along with another one involving a twist of the wrist). Billy Sunday was one. I remember using both in my first life when I could still make a ball now and then. Just wish I could remember how, why, and when.
                    "If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Cary View Post
                      Some of the old, old-timers used to teach that stroke for certain shots (along with another one involving a twist of the wrist). Billy Sunday was one. I remember using both in my first life when I could still make a ball now and then. Just wish I could remember how, why, and when.
                      Eddie Taylor, Piggy Banks, Truman, and myself, use a wrist-twist on certain shots. Shooting to one side, you twist it inside, shooting to the other side, you twist it outside.

Beard

Anybody want more, ask Clever Lou.
                      New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                      www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

I hear ya about....

....the how,why and when....like the shot where you squeeze the cue tight to make a radical cut shot go in....cheers,James

Comment

I don't think you can make this type of shot without putting some kind of swipe stroke on the cball.

I asked Buddy Hall one time about doing that to the cball and he called it "tuck and roll" I never did understand that description though

Heck of a shot no matter how he did it. JB
                          Click here to order the DVD
                          Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

I have never thought of strokes to be "faulty" in the way mentioned here. I noticed over the years, on certain shots, especially ones where the ob is very close to the hole, good players use strange strokes to get some extra torque on the ball. I never put too much thought into it myself. If you need to pocket a long, difficult shot or something like that, this is another story... I think you have got to be going straight. You can spin balls in beyond 90 degrees too, you aint going to do it with a straight stroke though. It is just a stroke that makes the impossible, possible. It isn't faulty.

In short, if you are getting it done under pressure, there is no "faulty", only effective.

Comment

BHE is a very useful tool playing pool. I use it often on thin cuts, opening and closing banks and making the CB go to different places. Some people snicker at first, then begin asking how to do it.
                              Rod.
                              P.S. These shots get much harder a half table away. Mr. Jewett makes a hell of a hit in this example.
                              Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
                              (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Working...
                              X