How to make this...

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Posted by mr3cushion said:
Sounds like MY thread on making a difficult bank shot, has turned into an, 'AZ exiled admiration society' thread! But, go figure, what else is new! :rolleyes:

Certainly not your attitude.

pj <- it's not YOUR thread
chgo

.....Someone has always had trouble, getting it through his head, that there is simply MUCH, MUCH more to
admire about me, than HIM !..(go figure, what else is new ?) :D :D :D

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Petie; I certainly have never seen, or heard of Shane touting 'TOI' ..I'm sure he uses his favorite 'shortcut', or whatever spin the shot calls for, as does Efren, or any other top player !..I don't think they need to mentally 'trick' themselves, while they are over a shot ! :rolleyes:

More power to you, if you think TOI 'helps' your game..(I'd like to think I could convince you otherwise, in about 10 minutes ;))..Also, pool is NOT all in your head..While it is VERY much a mental game, your mechanics will always

be in first place, when you pull the trigger ! ;)

Late Edit;...Trust me, the above is 100% more correct, than any non pool-player's 'humble opinion' !..JMHO !
...Why do I feel like I am being 'stalked' ?.. I was just chatting with my 'friends', minding my own business ! :eek:

Well, this is the vid I was talking about. Obviously, not what I was thinking although it is very confusing to the conversation. The reason I was confused about it was that I was reading the subtitles instead of listening to the sound track.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-ohU0sJXE[/ame]

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Well, this is the vid I was talking about. Obviously, not what I was thinking although it is very confusing to the conversation. The reason I was confused about it was that I was reading the subtitles instead of listening to the sound track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-ohU0sJXE

Very, very interesting video Petie.

I've been advocating, using and instructing the same way of 'Aiming' that Shane describes in this video since 1983, before Shane was born! That's when I first had the vision to produce a book/DVD.

Here's an excerpt from the chapter on 'Fundamentals.'

What are you aiming with?

How and what spin to aim at the target is another debatable question. Do you aim the cue ball at the target, to imagine a ghost ball at the object ball, or do you aim the cue tip at the target? For me, I believe the later is more accurate, for the simple reason that the player is holding the cue in their hand. This is what you have complete control over, not the cue ball. Aiming the cue tip at the target will give the player a more precise way of contacting a specific portion of the object ball. There is an exception to this rule. If the player is trying to contact the object ball extremely thin without or as little English as possible, then you aim the edge of the cue ball to the edge of the object ball.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I'm hearing impaired also.
However I can read people screaming. :frus
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

I've been using and instructing the same way of 'Aiming' that Shane describes in this video since 1983, before Shane was born! That's when I first had the vision to produce a book/DVD.

...Blah, blah, er, uh, blah, blah....Aiming the cue tip at the target will give the player a more precise way of contacting a specific portion of the object ball. There is an exception to this rule. If the player is trying to contact the object ball extremely thin without or as little English as possible, then you aim the edge of the cue ball to the edge of the object ball... blah, blah !

Let me see if I can make sense of this. :confused:...So, what you were saying in post # 51, was NOT 100% correct...So what percentage was it correct ? 30% ?..38% ? (maybe we should ask Dr. Bill, or Rod :eek:)..Anyone here will tell you, MUCH greater minds than yours, have tried to explain 'aiming systems', with ZERO PERCENT success ! :rolleyes:

Let me suggest you go back to 1983, and start over..You couldn't possibly be any more confusing ! :sorry Did you actually say all that stuff in your book ? Egad ! :eek:...Even Shane was more explicit !

SJD....Just trynna help keep you afloat ! ;)

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

I've been advocating, using and instructing the same way of 'Aiming' that Shane describes in this video since 1983, before Shane was born! That's when I first had the vision to produce a book/DVD.

How and what spin to aim at the target is another debatable question. Do you aim the cue ball at the target, to imagine a ghost ball at the object ball, or do you aim the cue tip at the target? For me, I believe the later is more accurate, for the simple reason that the player is holding the cue in their hand. This is what you have complete control over, not the cue ball. Aiming the cue tip at the target will give the player a more precise way of contacting a specific portion of the object ball. There is an exception to this rule. If the player is trying to contact the object ball extremely thin without or as little English as possible, then you aim the edge of the cue ball to the edge of the object ball.

There is a zero percent chance that someone who has arrived at this niche one pocket site does not know this simplistic way to aim.

That video from Shane is typical of a lot of good players - it makes sense to him in his experience but does not necessarily translate into something you can teach someone, much less a beginner.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
There is a zero percent chance that someone who has arrived at this niche one pocket site does not know this simplistic way to aim.

That video from Shane is typical of a lot of good players - it makes sense to him in his experience but does not necessarily translate into something you can teach someone, much less a beginner.

At least you have the common courtesy and intelligence to include MY entire post, when replying!

Now, to your statement, let me ask YOU a question! 'How do you aim at an 'half ball' hit with NO English, 'center, 12 O'clock or minimum 6 O'clock English?'

I'm going to assume that you're not exactly a 'beginner.' Would you not aim YOUR 'tip at the edge of the OB?' Just to pocket the OB.

'Do you think this method is too difficult to teach a beginner or for them to understand?'

BTW, sounds a like Shane uses a form of 'TOI' when playing off the 'inside' of the ball!

P.S. Whether they'll admit it or not, I showed this SAME principle to, Petie and Larry when we were all together, cutting the ball down the rail NOT frozen!

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
There is a zero percent chance that someone who has arrived at this niche one pocket site does not know this simplistic way to aim...That video from Shane is typical of a lot of good players - it makes sense to him in his experience but does not necessarily translate into something you can teach someone, much less a beginner.

Straightback..(please note; I included your entire post :)).....No one has wasted more time, or words, with this
illiterate ??????-??????, than me !.. He thinks you are a kind, polite person..But, puhleeeeeze, take my advice,
he is way beyond hope...just LET HIM SINK ! :cool:

View attachment 11155

PS..Remember, you are dealing with someone, who 'thinks' he can cut a ball backwards ! :eek:..And be careful now, knowing him as I do, he is about one millimeter away from going berserk, and calling me 'a coward yellow dog' (and the other 4 profanities he can spell !) ! :eek:

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Now, I completely understand the alliance between a, 'scientific' player and a guy's method of play and skill level is determined by how empty the 'YJ' bottle is!

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Now, I completely understand the alliance between a, 'scientific' player and a guy's skill level that's determined by how empty the 'YJ' bottle is!

The fact that you think calling me "scientific" somehow comments on my abilities is telling. Where I come from, we bank a lot. Thus, if you don't understand ball and rail behavior, you are screwed. I happen to not like losing, so I took the time to learn what goes down, JUST LIKE EVERY BANKER ON PLANET EARTH.

There is no "alliance" - we just happen to both think you are a nuisance to this great community. And to the extent that SJD contributes to the noise, I'd tell him the same damn thing.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The fact that you think calling me "scientific" somehow comments on my abilities is telling. Where I come from, we bank a lot. Thus, if you don't understand ball and rail behavior, you are screwed. I happen to not like losing, so I took the time to learn what goes down, JUST LIKE EVERY BANKER ON PLANET EARTH.

There is no "alliance" - we just happen to both think you are a nuisance to this great community. And to the extent that SJD contributes to the noise, I'd tell him the same damn thing.[/B]

SB, I can accept that, Thanks for clarifying the difference ! ;)...(but you know it sailed right over HIS head) :lol :lol :lol

Adios boy's...Happy hour is here ! :)

Late Edit;..Look whos bitching about "GANGING UP", now that ALL his 'close friends' have deserted him ! :D
(hows it feel, Dwarfy ? :eek:)

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

There is no "alliance" - we just happen to both think you are a nuisance to this great community. And to the extent that SJD contributes to the noise, I'd tell him the same damn thing.

Why would YOU think I'm referring to YOU? I wasn't, it was Patrick!

Apology will be accepted! :)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

I like aiming the stick at something as part of my aiming method - like you say, it's the most concrete and precise alignment available to us. It also gives a definite "track" for the stroke.

The question always is what to aim the stick at...? All the different methods for that are very similar: learn some "reference" alignments and estimate from them. Shane's way of doing that is pretty much like all the others, including the most talked about ones: Hal Houle's "3 Angles", Stan Shuffet's "CTE", etc. The main difference between these is how realistic or unrealistic the explanations are for how they work (usually having to do with how much estimation is needed).

I like the fact that Shane qualified his descriptions with phrases like "just about" this stick/OB alignment and "pretty much" that alignment. He seems to understand that his reference alignments are just that: references from which to estimate actual shot alignments.

pj
chgo

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Bill, since I had posted most recently hereunder, and since it's reasonable for me to compute you directed the "scientific" comment at me, I assumed it was aimed at me.

Apparently I am in error and for that I am indeed sorry. However, I do not think it's right to attack a pool player for hittin' the books.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
It was yours and his 'gang up' drama on AZ, that formed your alliance! NOT mine! :sorry
Don't sell yourself short, Bill. You're perfectly capable of annoying any number of different people independently - no "alliance" required.

Enjoy your gang fantasy, sorry I can't be in it for you.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bill, since I had posted most recently hereunder, and since it's reasonable for me to compute you directed the "scientific" comment at me, I assumed it was aimed at me.

Apparently I am in error and for that I am indeed sorry. However, I do not think it's right to attack a pool player for hittin' the books.

I would never attacked a player for hitting the books! I have published and SOLD over 4,000 copies of my own.

The problem I have is that almost every 'scientific' player does NOT play or complete at a 'High" level! If all of it worked, all the time, then all that would be left is to have at least 'average' skills to put it all together!

But, we are ALL human, and that is a factor that cannot be entered into a, 'Trig' calculator and expect perfect results. The game just like many are NOT played in a 'experimental' environment, but, in the real world of Pool and Billiards. I'll say it once again, one of the best lines about the, 'scientific' approach is, 'Too much analysis causes paralysis!'

God bless him, my good buddy Freddy suffered from TOO much of his own analysis with the same result!

Just as with ANY information, in the wrong hands can be dangerous, whether some feel it's right or wrong!

The bottom line really is this, "If you want to be a TOP player, try to emulate most of what that player does and what His thought process is while playing different games!'

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

I would never attacked a player for hitting the books! I have published and SOLD over 4,000 copies of my own.

The problem I have is that almost every 'scientific' player does NOT play or complete at a 'High" level! If all of it worked, all the time, then all that would be left is to have at least 'average' skills to put it all together!

But, we are ALL human, and that is a factor that cannot be entered into a, 'Trig' calculator and expect perfect results. The game just like many are NOT played in a 'experimental' environment, but, in the real world of Pool and Billiards. I'll say it once again, one of the best lines about the, 'scientific' approach is, 'Too much analysis causes paralysis!'

God bless him, my good buddy Freddy suffered from TOO much of his own analysis with the same result!

Just as with ANY information, in the wrong hands can be dangerous, whether some feel it's right or wrong!

The bottom line really is this, "If you want to be a TOP player, try to emulate most of what that player does and what His thought process is while playing different games!'

This will appeal to Dustin. I'm an old machinist. I was a machinist early in my career before I started selling tooling for machines and machines themselves. There is a saying that all machinists have heard if not said when referring to an Engineer's rendering of a part the machinist is supposed to make. "It looks good on paper."

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...art%2Frendered_escher%2Fmiguelez.html;500;395