How to make this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make this...

Since there's a little action, in the "Bank" forum as of late, I decided to get some scientific and TOP "Bank" player's advice on making the "straight back" bank in the diagram.

You can choose to bank the 1 ball, either inside the 10 or the 5 ball. Maybe the two camps can tell us all how the shot is made. Stroke, English, speed etc.

Last edited by mr3cushion; 12-31-2014, 01:14 PM.

Thanks for putting one up Bill I can make it but I want to hear some other thoughts on how it's made. Thanks,John B.
    Click here to order the DVD
    Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

You simply cut it with a FLAT cue, middle ball, no English. While you need to hit it fairly firm to have the hold english carry all the way to the cushion, do not hit it so hard that the cue ball "jumps" off the cloth. This stroke accomplishes 2 things. First, you can aim with confidence since it's a long, tough bank. Second, this stroke puts maximum reverse on the ball because it allows for maximum friction.

If the bank looks impossible, try this - forget the object ball, and just use the cue ball and hit it with reverse English. This will allow our to see the action that is required to pocket the ball.

One good thing about this bank is that of you hit it long (into the long rail before the pocket), it has "pocketing English," which is exactly one-half of John's secret to making a pocket play larger. (The other half is aiming long and holding banks, which creates a more favorable angle.) This creates what bankers call "troughs."

Comment

Hit as close to the 5 as possible, middle ball, one tip of left and hit it firm. Will bet I can make it doing this.

Comment

Pat; you have to bank the 1 ball on the "Inside" of the 10 or 5 from the corner pockets, NOT the "outside" of the them!

Comment

How to make this...

I use a high ball with a slightly smoother than stun stroke

Comment

Firm stun with less than half maximum inside English.

Firm so the transferred sidespin will carry to the rail.

Stun so the sidespin will transfer well to the OB.

Less than half maximum sidespin because with any cut angle half maximum or more sidespin reduces friction and spin transfer.

Stroke schmoke. Straight and accurate is all that's needed.

pj
              chgo

Comment

Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post
                Pat; you have to bank the 1 ball on the "Inside" of the 10 or 5 from the corner pockets, NOT the "outside" of the them!
                LOL. I figured that out eventually, Bill! Changed my answer accordingly.

pj
                chgo

Comment

I do not understand "stun with sidespin." So far I understand the term "stun," that refers to a sliding cue ball, also know as a knuckleball. This type of ball is extremely effective at producing collision-induced English.

You can use inside on this shot, but English transfer with an inside ball is a fraction of what it is with an outside ball. I look at this shot the same as the three in the side - just turn in with center ball and a level cue.

Comment

Originally posted by straightback View Post
                    ... English transfer with an inside ball is a fraction of what it is with an outside ball.
                    Inside spin transfer can be more than outside. Depends how and when you use it.

pj
                    chg

Comment

How to make this...

Are we going to get a final verdict from mr3cushion or John Brumback

Comment

Originally posted by pvclou View Post
                        Are we going to get a final verdict from mr3cushion or John Brumback
                        If not (level cue, 1/2 ball hit, add English to taste.)
                        Rod.
                        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
                        (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

stun, with a half of tip inside,firm,don't have to blast it tho. Reminds me of an old sayin round here when playin bank and someone made a shot like this...it goes like this..."why you twisted hits neck off" JB
                          Click here to order the DVD
                          Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

I just happened to have been shooting this shot the other night. I'm trying to get the feel for these trough shots. It's not coming naturally. but I shot it just as Straightback said: no english, center ball, level cue. Shot it many time from both sides. Didn't make it too often. Need more practice.

~Doc

Comment

John posted before I did. So it's with a half tip of inside. No WONDER I wasn't making it that often!!

~Doc

Comment

Working...
                              X