T.J. Parker

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
day 4

Little Rock day 4

We talked about going home but decided not yet, before we turned in.
Jimmy could really sleep, there was another cart fight outside our room at about 10:30am, it didn't phase Jimmy. I had a book so I read till he woke up about noon, when a maid knocked on the door and asked if we wanted the room cleaned or needed fresh towels. I got some towels and didn't raise any hell.

We went to the cafe and called BO, he got there before we finished eating.
He said he'd made some calls but nothing yet. We had more coffee and he got a cup and we shot the breeze awhile, he kept going to the pay phones. After a few tries he came back and said we're in business.

We drove back toward Memphis, a few miles out we stopped at a truck stop.
BO knew the guy in the truckers part and began talking to him. The guy lives nearby but hasn't shown. We waited an hour and BO called again, no answer so we left.

Bo said the spot he had left was gambling but we might win big, the player was a bookmaker and had a place with a couple of 4x8's for a front, and liked to play himself. Let's go.
The fellow's name was Ed Herndon and his place was in Bentonville, where Walmart headquarters was located about 15 or 20 miles from downtown Little Rock. When we got there we found out the game was the 5out and the break.
We told BO the split was 3 ways since he didn't have much cash. He agreed.
$ 100.00 a game was the bet and we're staking BO.

They began to play, the table had peach basket pockets which favored us, I thought, but the break was strong. After a few games I began to rack for him, and our game looked ok. Jimmy got 6 games winner and we were licking our chops.

Ed kept going in the back and making more balls on the break, I thought maybe he was doing drugs, til I had a shiver and realized he was turning the air conditioner down. I picked up a little bar towel and began wiping the balls down.
I noticed the were covered with powder, Ed was really pouring the powder on every few shots. The table was getting faster and the balls getting slicker and the break getting stronger.

I eased in the bathroom and washed my hands but didn't dry them much, came back and wiped them off on the bar towel I was using on the balls.
Dampening the balls up helped a while, but slowly the break was getting the best of us.

Ed got even about 11: pm and quit, we were happy he did it saved us the embarrassment of quitting, And I was freezing, it must've been 50% in there. Ed said I've got the time, I'll be here in the morning around 11:am, come on by.
He was a really classy guy, never said a word about my monkey business with the rack, or any complaints.

We took Bo back to his truck and said we'd talk in the morning. We woke up the next day loaded up and came to Houston.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Flashing back to T.J.

As I mentioned in the beginning Parker's closed at 12:am.
Ray Humphrey, who I also mentioned before, had a room staying open 24 hours.
A lot of action on weekends and had not been raided yet.
Sometimes a few of us would go there, including T.J.
We went on a friday night and T.J. was offered 9/8 and the break by Freddy Sessions and game on. They played the same way at Parkers on a 4 1/2 x 9, but T.J. wasn't fairing too well on the smaller table. The place was full, all 9 tables
I was playing bumper pool and watching Tee and Freddy play, freddy hit a long rail bank, there were a couple of balls below the side pocket blocking the bank from going in his pocket.

The ball was headed between the spot and his hole, as it began to slow it curved hard right and rolled in his pocket, Freddy made the 2 balls below the side and game over.

Freddy's up at the table to rack the balls, Tee walks over, says move Bud, He picks the table up, like doing curls, lifts it all the way above his head, the other end hits the floor, he steps back and drops it. He looks at Freddy, says I'll bet you don't know which way it rolls now.
Tee gathered the balls that went on the floor, rolled 'em to Freddy, paid off and left. didn't say another word.
It was really quite in that bad ass, dangerous joint, you could hear a mouse piss on a cotton cue tip in there.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Parkers action.

There was a jewelry salesman named Bill Birch, he started coming around and gambling, he was going off every other week or so, for good chunks of money. Birch never brought much cash. T.J. would cash his checks and charge whoever was winning his money 30%. Everybody that played Birch knew the rules. if someone that didn't know got him down, they got the rules explained, in no uncertain terms. It wasn't a bad deal, Tee stood good for any bad checks, you got your money right away, while you were playing.
I believe somebody turned Bill on to diet pills, he began to come around more often and play for longer periods of time, and get his nose more open than before.

Bill stopped losing checks, I guess his bank got dry, he wanted to play for jewelry. After a few weeks of that, he didn't show for a few weeks, when he did Tee asked where you been, He said I got held up and robbed for a lot of jewelry.

He really pumped the pool room up, I even got some of it. A lot of the winners started playing each other.

Soon pool players were showing from all around.
Later.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Parkers action

Quite a few pool players were in town, Fats, U.J. Puckett, cannonball, and Freddy Sessions. Danny Jones and Jack Terry were traveling together, they just came in from San Antonio.

Fats recruited a millionaire stakehorse, who later opened the LeCue downtown,
he was partners in a room in the Village but no action there. I believe that's where he met Fats, Fats had talked him into letting him do an exhibition out there.

Fatty barked and growled and finally Puckett got some partners to put him in action, and agreed to play one pocket at the guys home, a 7000 sq. ft. mansion.

The next day I came work, fats came in about noon, I went over and asked how the game went, He started to tell his story when the front door opened and in walked Puckett.
Fats squeezed my thigh and whispered wait till he can hear. As U.J. got closer fats raised his voice and said, yeah me and puckett had an appointment to play at this rich guys house at 7:30 last night. Puckett came dragging in at 8:15.
He looked like he was stomping out forest fires with each foot. He had so little class, if the guy would've have a swimming pool in his living room, Puckett would've pissed in it. Puckett was a big tough guy but he just shook his head.

Fats next game was with Cannonball, J.C. Had a good stakehorse named Joe Reese. I didn't get the run down from fats, but heard from someone he said cannonball my A$$, when I got through with him they were calling him B B.

I became friendly with Joe Reese, he was a black pimp, had all the bling, a diamond heart shaped pin with a 3 carat stick pin that fit inside it, many heavy gold chains, a diamond Rolex. Joe bought a pool room, a while later I heard he bought a drug store, then a semi and then another. I quit parkers and started on the road, didn't see Joe for 12 or so. years I ran into him at the race track in La.

He said Stevie, I heard you made a lot of money, I said yeah I even managed to keep a little of it, But Wow look at you Joe. He was wearing a conservative Gray pinstripe suit, black lizard boots, a short haircut and a classy gold watch, no diamonds. He said I've no need for the flash anymore.
The next I saw about him was an article and picture in the paper. It said he'd been accidently shot and rushed to the charity hospital, they saved his life.
The picture was him presenting the director of Ben Taub Hospital a check for $100,000.00.

later.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Johnny "cannonball" chapman

I played him a lot when nothing was going on, the game was 9 ball, I got the break and 8 to 5 on the money on the 4 x 8 table I played on all the time.
We usually broke about even at this game.

He was one of the two best rackmen I've ever seen. He would go three rails for position when stopping would've been good enough, he was using a 24 oz cue and he liked to shoot hard. He was the opposite of Don Watson, who made everything look so simple.

I had never seen much bank pool, I watched him give freddy Sessions 11 to 8 and the break and win, Freddy banked well, I didn't think J.C. had a chance, it was a tough game, they played a couple of days.

A new pool player came in, he had a funny looking eye, he seemed to play well, but only wanted to play real cheap. Jack Terry knew him and staked him to play the kid Barefoot Whitey, Whitey took him right off for a hundred or two and the guy quit and left. Jack was hot as a jalenpeno, he told me that's One Eyed Hank
From San Francisco and he's a lot better player than Whitey. I think he just tossed my money off.

Hank came back in a couple of days and beat a guy or two that had watched him play Whitey, then told Whitey, C'mon I'll play some more and busted Whitey, Jack was steaming and I thought trouble, but no, Jack was trying to play Hank and Hank was asking for some kind of spot. Jack finally gave up and left.

I also think he tossed Jacks money off.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
more T.J

I was working day shift, all was quiet, when the barmaid came in, she said the night girl had called her and told her that a scuffle had happened last night.
I ask several people but the day crowd and the night crowd were different and no one had heard anything.

Tee came in about noon, I hinted something had happened and ask him what?
He said the night girl came out and said some guy was acting wild and knocking balls off the bar table and generally being an obnoxious pain.

He said, I went in the kitchen and looked through the old serving slot and saw she was right. This guy was about your size, but had muscles in his ears. I said like me? he said you'd look like Don Knotts beside this guy. So what happened ?

He said I went in but stayed behind the bar, told the guy he had to go.
he wanted another beer, I said you're not welcome here, get your ass out.
he cursed and raised hell but finally went to the door.

It was a big heavy door with no handle or knob and it was hung backwards. You pushed on it to go out.

Tee said the guy pushed on the wrong side, it didn't budge and the guy spun around and said, you MF's got me locked in here.
Tee walked from behind the bar and said, no no it's not locked you pushed the wrong side.

Tee said the guy pushed the other side and the door opened, The guy turned and said F--k all you Texas MF's. Tee said I blasted him and followed him but he was out.
I looked around the parking lot and saw a car with Iowa plates, I figured that's probably that corn fed looking SOB's car.
I got Bobby Joe and Jasper to help me carry him to the car and lay him on the hood.
I went out about an hour later and he was gone.

As Paul Harvey would say "Now the rest of the story"
The joint filled up and Bobby Joe came in, I asked him about it ?
He said when Tee hit the guy he landed on the hood of a car parked out front.
Bobby said he and Jasper ran to the door and one of the guys loafers was sitting right in the doorway.
Jasper told the same story next time I saw him.

BTW The walkway along the front was about 3 feet or more wide.

Later.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Short road trip

I was at the LeCue, looking for a game and burning the rubber practicing.
In comes a guy from the 19th street pool room, who I had played cheap 9 ball a few times. His name was Charlie Barber, he played pretty well, but under me.

We start talking and he tells me he just got back from some small town in Mississippi. The story was they played six ball on a snooker table all day $10.00 a ball and double on the 7ball. You should've been with me, I won about $500.00, I couldn't beat a couple of guys, they'd be perfect for you and they were trying to bet higher.

He was a bricklayer, he said I've been working on my dad's place, I came home for a couple of days and I'm going back tomorrow, why don't you come with me?

I said why don't we go tonight, I like driving at night and I'm not sleepy, If you want to go now I can help you drive. He said yeah man that sounds good, I've got my stuff in my truck.
I said we'll swing by my house, pick up a bag and hit the road, let me call my wife and have her pack some stuff for me.

I called home, woke the wife, told her I going to take a trip to make some money,
Please pack a bag for a week or so. She wasn't too mad, but said I could've called earlier.

When I got back to the bar in the pool room, Three or four guys are arguing with and laughing at Charlie, I asked a guy what's up? Charlie had said he had a rabbit that could whip a german shepard, and would bet on it.

I don't know what happened, I spun around and beat it out to the hallway and called my wife, I said Baby I'm really sorry to wake you again, please unpack, I miss you already I can't bare the thought of leaving home so soon, I'll be right there..

later.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Titanic

Ty was talking about the oil boom in oklahoma in the late 20's, I asked if he made any money there? He said I made a fortune, I said you were in the oil business ?
He said no, I made it selling phoney oil leases. wow thats grand, what did you do with all that money? He said I spent it all buying oil leases, that turned out to be phoney, hell everybody wanted to be a rich oil man.

I asked about Farmer Brown, old time snooker and one pocket player that I knew, they had been road partners at one time. Matter of fact he said, we were hustling around Tulsa about that time. Was a guy owned a upstairs pool room that would gamble up. Brown and I hung there trying to get a cinch prop where we could make a big score from this guy. I won a lot of short money, but couldn't get his tit in a wringer.

There was a mule skinner that came in every day, dirty overalls, chew dripping down his chin, name of
Longgoode, he was illiterate.

We took him over to our room every day for a week and taught him how to spell Hippopotamus and ticonderoga.

When we were sure he was ready, we went up to the pool room one morning and asked if anybody had seen Longgoode, we had a shill who spoke up and said I saw him downstairs a half hour ago, standing on the corner reading the newspaper.

Well the owner went nuts, he said are you crazy, he can't read and write, our shill just shrugged and walked on down the stairs.
Brown said you're the one that's crazy, Longgoode is a well educated man, he could probably spell Hippopotamus or I don't know, ticonderoga probably.

Well the owner said, you can stand on your head and bet everything that falls out if you think Goody can spell one of those. Game on.

Ty and Brown put up most of their bankroll, the owner sent a couple of customers to find Goody, they found him and brought him upstairs to the pool room.
They got the rules straight one more time, Ty's winking at Goody and the owner says, ok Goody let me hear you spell Hippopotamus.

Goody nods his head up and down a few time and then spells T i c o n d e r o g a
Money gone !

More Ty to come later.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
More Ty

I asked if they were ever able to win anything from the guy?
He said they left town and went a few places to play pool and cards, finally made a score playing golf.

They returned to Tulsa and found the owner and a few gamblers were standing on the street downstairs, betting on the license plates of the cars coming around the city square. He said they rented an old house some miles out of town and kept hanging around the guy, also playing a little pool and golf.

Cars were a fairly new thing, Ty said i even had one, there were a lot of them around oil rich Tulsa, so there was plenty of action betting on the plates.

Ty said 6 or 8 weeks later he was driving into town early, saw an older fellow with a mule pulling a mid sized wagon full of water melons. He waved the guy down and asked how many melons in the wagon, The fellow said I don't know exactly about 75 or so.
Ty asked what would you charge me to count them, he said well that's a lot of work. Ty said I'll give you $25 and I'll help you, Deal.

Ty said , if you'll kill an hour, then go to town, drive around the city square till I wave you off, there's a good chance you'll make some more money. How much ?
Maybe what you made this morning. deal

Ty went to town, had coffee, sure enough the gang had banked up on the corner, betting on the plates, he went over and started betting also.

In a while the mule and wagon came around the square, Ty said I'll bet I can get closer than anybody to guessing how many melons are in that wagon, no takers.
Well then I'll bet I can guess within 10 melons? no takers.

You lucky rascals saved your money, When I lived in Hempstead Texas, I had a wagon just like that one, I know exactly how many melons it will hold.

The owner said you got me son, you've trapped yourself again, just get all you want to bet up here, the rest of the guys joined in. Ty gave a wad of money to brown and told every body to post up, except the owner, he told him I know you're ok. Now they're all looking for the wagon and here it comes again, Ty runs out and waves the guy down.

Ty says hum, packed like that those wagons will hold 68 melons.
Every body but the owner was helping unload the wagon and stack them on the side of the street.

Ty said the owner called him over and asked how much he'd settle for, Ty said no discount, the owner pulled out his cash and started counting, he shook his head, said you finally got me and started laughing, the rest of the group didn't take it as well.

I don't think Ty cared, he was about as dangerous as anyone.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Bar pool

I remember telling this story to LSJohn and think I may have posted it before on our site, It's been awhile. Some of the newer members have messaged me and encouraged me to "keep'em coming". I'm running short of memories so I'll tell it
again.

I got a call from Andy Oguien (sp), a stakehorse of his wanted a player to come to Amarillo to play, with a chance to win big. I had short bankroll so I asked andy to send a couple of hundred to me in Dallas, to show good faith I was on my way.
He said fine.

I had just met Tall Jimmy and we had hit it off, so I asked him to come along.
We picked up the cash at Western Union in Dallas, and went by the Cotton Palace.
No pool there but I saw Slim Burrows, I asked about spots on our way. He said try the Cottage Lounge in Wichita Falls, and we hit the road.

We found the Cottage Lounge about 3 pm, went in and ordered beer, I asked the barman if anyone would play pool 3 or 5 a game, he said hang on I'll see, he went over to a table with two couples and a bootle of booze.

He came back, said the owner will play 9 ball for $5 a game, game on.

We began to play and this guy, he introduced himself as Jabbo. got a lot of great rolls and was 5 games winner in a flash. He said bet $10, I said no no, if I ever get even I'll bet $20. while talking I figured out, he thought we were from the Air base
there, Jimmy looked real young, had a short haircut, I guess that's where he got it.
He absolutely let me get even, When even, he said $20 again and I said, sure.

The rolls turned and the balls laid easy every game and I'm 6 games winner in record time, he went over and got ice and didn't bother with mixer, straight whisky. He says, bet $30, I said ok, and played really well, no stall. I won 5 more games and it was over.

We finished our drinks and got up to leave, Jabbo stands up and says I'll arm wrestle you for a hundred. This guy's built like a coke machine.
No thanks, I'm not an arm wrestler.

How bout I just fight you for all I'm loser?
I walked over to the pay phone, I said no but I'll tell you what, the last guy I
played wanted to fight, maybe I get him over here for you?

He looked like he was getting really mad, then he started chuckling and shaking his head.
Jimmy and I beat feet outta there.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
New law.

Sometime around 1963 a law was passed about who could come into your place of business. If anything you had was shipped across state lines, you couldn't refuse anyone service. This is the way I remember it.

T.J. had black customers, mostly pool players and their posse as we call them now. Dallas Joe was a black pool player who had worked for T.J.
He, Cannonball, Joe Reese, Black Diamond, an ex boxer named Nelson were all regulars.

When this law went into effect, they were all still welcome.

Tee didn't like the idea that the Government could tell him who he had to serve, so he began to routinely refuse service to others that he didn't know.

T.J. told the help to say we weren't taking new customers right now. Everything went smoothly for a month or so, until 3 fellows came in and asked for a rack of balls, I gave them the news and 2 started to leave,
one young guy in about his 20's said you can't refuse to let us play, it's against the law.

I told him to speak to the owner, he said get his ass out here, I sent someone into the bar side to get Tee, he came out and repeated what I'd said.
You're breaking the law and I'm going to complain to the Police.
Tee said, you go right ahead, but it's my place and I can get rid of whoever I want.
The guy said "you can't get rid of me" Tee smacked him, Lights out.

Tee told the other two get your buddy and haul his ass out of here.

A week later a Black man came in and showed me goverment ID. He was a big guy about Tee's size, dressed nice, Hickey freeman suit, power tie the works. He asked to see the owner, I said go around that curtain into the bar. He went, I went into the kitchen and peeked through the serving slot.
He introduced himself and said he was with whatever, federal trade blah, blah, blah.
He told Tee about the new law and said we've had a report you don't let Blacks in your place of business.

Tee nodded and said that's right, and "You are one" Tee just looked at the guy, he spun around and left the bar, never to be heard from again.

He was a lot smarter than the young guy. lol
P.S. As Tall Jimmie said "anyone who looks at Tee and wants to argue, is wanting to be punished"

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Hot streak

San Antonio 1980,
I'd been spending a lot of time there, courting my wife and playing pool.
Next door to each other, two pool rooms , Ye Old Billiard Parlor and Bananas.

I was in Bananas playing a guy named John McCue, he said he lived in Detroit, he had been around S.A. for a month or so. I later heard in Detroit they called him California John. A lot of pool players came to S.A. trying to catch Continental Dave.

We were playing 10 ball and I was losing about $200 or more @ $20 a game.
I caught a gear and began getting all the rolls and playing well, I won
4 or 5 games and John said we'll finish next door where the tables are better. I didn't argue, I said fine.

We went over and continued the game, I kept my streak going and got even, John said "you're too frigging lucky" I quit.

A guy I didn't know was sitting in the barber chair watching the game, he
looked sorta like a boxer, he said c'mon Rodney I'll play you some 10 ball. What I found odd was he asked me by name, I said "since you know my name you'll have to give me the 9and10, he said if I give you the 9and10 you have to bet $200 a game. Game on, John Hager was there, he asked for 20% of my bet, I said ok.

We started playing and my streak held, I was playing well and getting the rolls, after a couple of hours I was 10 or 12 games winner.

Then the guy put on an exhibition, never missed one ball, beat me to the shot on all roll outs and just played perfectly, about as good as I'd seen.

I woke up before daylight and quit 6 games winner, I went up and paid our time, he came and asked "what time do you get here every day" I said about 1:30, why do you ask? He said I figured you're tired now and we can
play more tomorrow. I said "yes I'm tired, tired of you running out on my ass" He just smiled and walked away.

Their was a group of folks in the room I didn't know, with a used car guy from S.A. that I'd seen around, I was having some drinks and a good time.

One of the strangers came over and asked if I'd take a $100 bet on an Olympic Hockey match, and what are the odds? I had no idea so I said 7 to 5 take your pick, I meant to get rid of the guy, he got excited and wished to bet more,
nope $100 only. He said I want Canada against the
U S A tonight. I said put it up with the house, if they don't play tonight no bet.

More drinks and I began playing flop gin with the used car dealer,
He was playing the wave with the cards and I was winning so I didn't care
I've forgotten how much we played for, not cheap I'm sure.

He got close to even, I quit, he asked why, I said those cards are all bent up.
What are you trying to say? forget it, I said I quit. He said are you accusing me of cheating? I'd had plenty to drink so I said " as a matter of fact"

He said get your bird dog ass outside. I took off my watch and gave it to Hager, he said watch those other guys, I'll be out there in a sec.

When I got outside Little Larry, one of the owners was talking to the car man, next thing I see, Larry with his knife out chasing the guy down San Pedro ave. swiping at the guys ass, the guy was really moving for a big man.

If you think I wasn't on a hot streak, I beat a guy much better than I playing pool, I won $140 on a hockey game they made a movie about, it was such a big upset and Little Larry came from nowhere to save me from getting my drunk ass kicked.

The next day Hager and I went to Abilene, stayed 4 or 5 days. When we got back we heard the pool player had won a good score from Freddy, a bookmaker friend who would gamble high with a big spot, I believe they said Freddy was getting 12to5 or some such.

BTW The pool player is a member here, if this isn't how he remembers it, message me and I'll edit this journal post.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Pass with Care, Do Not Pass.

Jimmy and I found ourselves in Kentucky in around 1968, we stopped in several towns where someone told us there was action.

As for the title, if you weren't on the interstate in 1968 the state highways were mostly 2 lane with those signs very close together, because of the hilly country I suppose.

We played in a few towns, I can't remember all the names, I remember Glascow, the fellow that would supposedly play wasn't there.

We had avoided the bigger cities, people tried to send us to Bowling Green,
I knew Johnny Edwards was a fine player so we skipped there.

We stopped in Russellville and found action. Two players were there,
Joe Dan Blue and Browder Murphy. Murphy worked for the highway dept and Joe Dan was young and not working as I remember.

Jimmy played $10 nine ball with Murphy and won $50 dollars, Game over.
On of the fellows at the bar, said I'll stake Joe Dan for $50 a game, Game on.

Joe Dan played a little better than Murph, the tables were 4x8 in good shape, so both players got out a lot. They played a few hours and Jimmy was $100 winner.
The house man said we're getting ready to close, it was 8: 45.

Smart gambler that Jimmy was said, We'll just quit now, we can play tomorrow, what time do you open ? 7: AM

The next day we learned the stake horse was John Williams, known as the Tennessee Valley Termite Man.
Someone in the area had been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, around there they called them Fiddler Spiders.

John W. had made a fortune exterminating them, although they were not indigenous to the area. The unlucky man bitten, lost his leg and almost his life.

John W. had a sales meeting at the pool room every morning at 7:30, we heard about this after we got there, about 9:30. We usually stayed up most nights and 9:30 was the best we could do.

They were waiting and John W. said $100 a game is OK, we put up and game on.
We lost 3 in a row and John said how about a race for a $1000, Jimmy said no race, I'll play 6 ahead for it. Game on.

It took Jimmy till about 6 pm to win the money, John wanted to play a short race for $300, Jimmy said no dice, I'm tired we'll play some more tomorrow.

I'll try to post more tomorrow.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Pool allowance

The next morning we arrived about 8:AM, the sales meeting was just breaking up, The salesmen all had maps and were lining out the days calls and arguing about this and that, they all had a picture of the guys leg rotting away. John was anxious to get the pool started, Joe Dan wasn't there yet.

John started asking me for a spot and Jimmy started shaking his head no while looking at John.

Joe Dan came in and started hitting balls and John said 11 out of 21 for $500 and Jimmy said OK. Game on.
Jimmy won the 1st set 11/3, he lost the next 11/9, won the next two 11/8 and 11/9. Game over. John said we'll try some more tomorrow, I thought that was strange as it was still kind of early.

John left and we hung around doing nothing, I got to talking to one of the old settlers, he told me John had himself on a thousand $ a day pool allowance.

About 6:pM the owner called me over and said Phone for you, I thought it might be John, it was Johnny Edwards, he said he heard we liked to gamble and we should come to his place, I said yeah maybe when we leave here.
He said come on now it's only 30 miles. I said not tonight, probably come over tomorrow night. I figured John W. was over there plotting with Edwards.

I played some $3.00 ring 7 ball with 3 guys till closing time, They play with a regular 9 ball rack, but the 8 and 9 had no value. The only games I won were when I'd roll the 7ball and luck it in. I never made any kind of medium hard shot, I lost $39 bucks. we called it a night.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
7 Ball

We showed about 8:AM, nothing going on, we went for breakfast.
Back about 9:AM, no Joe Dan, John W. was there trying to call him, not home.
Coffee and BS, with John hinting around to see if we were going to play Johnny Edwards, I told him maybe tomorrow. Jimmy hit balls around for an hour or so, then said I'm going to the movie.

Jimmy wasn't out of site till John started hustling me to give him a spot playing 7 ball. we haggled a while because I'd not seen him hit a ball, he was wanting action bad, so we began to play even, with the agreement we'd adjust if it was lopsided, $50 bucks, game on.

I was sure he gotten a rundown from last night, so I started out kind of slow.
I won 5 games without showing much, he said "time to adjust" I offered the last two but no deal, we haggled a little more and I gave the call 6ball. I won 5 more games, he said "time to adjust" I offered the wild 6ball, no deal.

All we can do now says John is the wild 5ball for $100 a game. After some hemming and hawing, Game on.
When Jimmy got back (it was a double feature) I was winner of John's self imposed daily allowance.

Sometime earlier the phone for me, Johnny Edwards wanted to know where we were? I said we'll come over tomorrow if we're not playing.
John W. asked if we were going over there, I said maybe.

Fishing tomorrow.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Fishing and catching.

The next AM i asked Joe Dan's brother, why he hadn't been in ?
He said a friend of Joes from a nearby town had called him to come over and maybe play pool.

The friend said a big guy came in the pool room there carrying a 7 or 8 pound Bass, he was showing it off and asked if anyone knew anything about fishing and would like to gamble on it. One of the locals went out and looked for a strange car, there was a car with Texas plates that had fishing rods sticking out a window.

So they asked if he was from Texas, he said yup, I'm a Texas champion fisherman and a Texas champion 9 ball player, I'll be around here fishing for about a week, anybody wants to gamble, I'm staying at the Kentucky Lakes lodge, name's Sinclair.

Joe went over and one of the guys that had his friend call wanted to stake him, it was still pretty early so they went over to the Lodge, manager said not here, out fishing. They rented a boat and motor from the marina and went out on the lake to look for him. Not a lot of people out fishing, they found him easily.

They hauled him back to town and he dusted them off for $800.

That's how Joe Dan Blue Met U.J. Puckett.

Meanwhile back at Russellville, Johnny Edwards was calling, I told him tomorrow, he got pretty irritated. After lunch and still no Joe Dan.
Jimmy was in the back hitting balls, and guess who walks in the door?

Later.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm sure you guessed who.

Early afternoon in strolls Johnny E. he began talking with John W.
I yelled back at Jimmy and pointed at Johnny, Look, Look, that's him, that's the guy I was telling you about.
Man what a player, he's a straight shooting rascal.

Johnny didn't like that at all, he came to me, said I remember you, let's play some 9 ball, no way champ I'm not in your league. How about your horse back there?

I seriously doubt it, but he's his own man, if you'n's play can I get a piece of yourn? He said what happened to y'all? I just winked at him and walked away.

He went on back and started talking to Jimmy, I saw Jimmy shaking his head no, they kept at it a while, then begin racking the balls.

John W. came over and asked for a bet, I said I don't know what they're doing, he said I don't care I just want a sweat bet. I said OK $50 a game, even if they're playing a race. Game on.

They were playing a race to 11 for $500. Johnny was spotting the 8 ball.
First race Jimmy won 11 to 9, second race the 8 ball showed up a few games, on the break, combos and Jimmy won easily 11 to 5. John W. went $400 over his allowance because he said he was staking Johnny.

Johnny was now barking about playing even, I'd guess he wanted to get his money in action, Jimmy just smiled and said no thanks !

Joe dan's brother, don't know his name, everybody called him Blue, asked for a ride home as Joe Dan didn't show, Jimmy said drop me at the room I'm beat.

After letting Jimmy out we're rolling to bro's house, take a right and stop at the gate 2 miles on, I stopped. He jumped out and opened it and said left at the big oak 100 yards down yonder, got there I saw no road and a creek, he said stay left of that boulder in the creek and on up the hill, when we topped the hill a nice double wide trailer with a deck across the front.

He said sit down at the table in the yard, I'm going to wake the wife and have her fix some breakfast, OK with you? You like bacon and eggs?
Well I hate to wake your wife, if you're going to do it eggs and bacon is great.

Inside he went, came back out with a couple of beers and a derringer pistol.

I threw my hands up jokingly, he waved me off and said "I guess you guys from Texas can shoot"

I said I could come closer to hitting something throwing that gun than shooting it. He emptied his beer and threw the can out in the yard, he said a dollar a shot, I said go ahead, he hit the can. I was amazed.
He said this one is different, it's not a 38 it's chambered for 22 longs and shoots straight.

His wife came out and served us a bigboy breakfast, we ate and he went in
and got an igloo with beer and we started shooting.

I had a fine time eating, drinking, and losing my money target shooting till midnight.

I said I may get lost getting out of here, nah can't get lost, stay to the right of the boulder until you hit the lane,
turn right, be sure to close my gate, buy some gas with the $10 dollars you owe me.

One of the nights in my life I'll never forget.

Jonesy next.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Jonesy

The next day was slow in the morning, John W. wasn't in a happy mood, still no Joe Dan. I tried to get the ring 7 ball going, no dice.

About noon in came Johnny E. had a pair of different guys with him.
Tried again to play Jimmy even, Jimmy wasn't having any, so we became no gambling, nit, lock artist's. Finally Johnny got around to saying his rackman, name of Jones would play 9 ball, no races just $50 a game.

Jim said to me this guy's gonna be a player, yeah I know, what the hell we got'em loser, lets shoot $500 at him.
John w. came to me and said $50 a game, told him you've got a bet.

They called him Jonsey, he did play real well and Jimmy was on top of his game, they played 7 hours till the hall closed and were even. Jonesy was wired and inspired, about every hour they took him outside for a smuggled beer. We were never $400 winner or loser, very tight game. After they quit Johnny said "come to my place and you can bet high and win something."

Jimmy told him come back here tomorrow and Y'all can bet high and win something.
The barking and growling was over and we agreed to play tomorrow.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Bobby's gone.

The next AM everyone was talking about the Robert Kennedy assassination,
Some goober asked, did you boys from Texas git another one? Is that where Spearhand is from? all I could do was shake my head.

Johnny and Jonesy and crew came about 11:AM, Game on. Same $50 a game.
John W. had left by then, didn't say anything, just took off.

Jonesy looked rough, like he'd been up all night, bloodshot eyes, same clothes. No matter, he was playing really good, got 5 games winner right away.
Jimmy was playing well also but Jonesy was flashing hot.

Jimmy yelled at me, Oh man I forgot my medicine, give me the car keys, he told Jonesy go have a beer I've got to go to the room, and he left.

Johnny's asking me what the hell? beats me.

While Jimmy's gone, John W. comes back, I give him a rundown and ask if he wants a bet when they restart, he says I'm sick of betting on other people I want to play myself. I had already beaten him with the wild 5, I asked him to play that again, no way. Haggled and settled on 7 ball, wild 5 and 6 game on.

We began to play, he didn't try to run the balls, just rolled them hard every shot. His system was working well, he loused in a lot of pay balls, he was 4 games winner when Jim got back about 30 minutes later.

Johnny was ranting and raving about us stalling his player.

Jimmy said I have Epilepsy, if I don't take my meds I could have an attack, I'm to take them with food, I been hurrying. When Jim walked around to get his cue he winked at me.

Seems Jimmy's stall slowed Jonesy down, they played another 6 hours and ended even for the day.

John and I played till closing, I quit 2 games winner.

John said I never win at pool anymore, I'm gonna lay off two weeks, then quit. I've had it.

We went to our room and decided to leave tomorrow.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Country ham

We were enjoying sleeping late, because we'd planned to leave town.

About 8:30AM, a loud banging on our door, as I've probably said before it's on my Bucket List to kill a maid.
I leaped out of bed, jerked the door open, ready to pounce.

To my surprise there stood John W. He said son you can't make any money laid up in bed pulling yer pud. John what the hell? Get dressed I'm gonna treat you to the best Country ham you ever ate. I got dressed.

He loaded me in his new Lincoln and drove us to Bowling Green, we had the Country Boy breakfast, Pancakes, eggs, country ham. biscuits and syrup.

I'd never had country ham, it seemed very salty to me, but I didn't mention it, everything else was great and a lot of it.

He drove us back to Russellville and went winding off in some sorta rundown area, I asked whats up, he said lets get a nip to help digest breakfast.
He pulled up to some shack and honked, a guy came on the porch and raised his eyebrows, John held up two fingers and yelled top shelf.

On to the pool room with two 1/2 pints of I.W. Harper on our hips.

He said you didn't convince me yesterday. Game on. Happily Jimmy was there with the car, so I got my cue, we began playing.
He wasn't as lucky as yesterday and I won his limit in about 5 hours.

He said now you've convinced me.

Jimmy had loaded the car and checked out, we said goodbyes and took off.
We stopped to fill up, a guy working there said I see you're from Texas, yes from Houston. I spect you know my brother Jarvis, he lives right there in Pasadena, works at Rohm and Haas. I grinned and said no I don't think I've met him. He asked ain't Pasadena right there next door to Houston?

I talked about the guy for the next few miles. Jim said people in small towns know everyone, he thinks Houston is like that.

On the road home.

Last edited: