T.J. Parker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New law.

Sometime around 1963 a law was passed about who could come into your place of business. If anything you had was shipped across state lines, you couldn't refuse anyone service. This is the way I remember it.

T.J. had black customers, mostly pool players and their posse as we call them now. Dallas Joe was a black pool player who had worked for T.J.
    He, Cannonball, Joe Reese, Black Diamond, an ex boxer named Nelson were all regulars.

When this law went into effect, they were all still welcome.

Tee didn't like the idea that the Government could tell him who he had to serve, so he began to routinely refuse service to others that he didn't know.

T.J. told the help to say we weren't taking new customers right now. Everything went smoothly for a month or so, until 3 fellows came in and asked for a rack of balls, I gave them the news and 2 started to leave,
    one young guy in about his 20's said you can't refuse to let us play, it's against the law.

I told him to speak to the owner, he said get his ass out here, I sent someone into the bar side to get Tee, he came out and repeated what I'd said.
    You're breaking the law and I'm going to complain to the Police.
    Tee said, you go right ahead, but it's my place and I can get rid of whoever I want.
    The guy said "you can't get rid of me" Tee smacked him, Lights out.

Tee told the other two get your buddy and haul his ass out of here.

A week later a Black man came in and showed me goverment ID. He was a big guy about Tee's size, dressed nice, Hickey freeman suit, power tie the works. He asked to see the owner, I said go around that curtain into the bar. He went, I went into the kitchen and peeked through the serving slot.
    He introduced himself and said he was with whatever, federal trade blah, blah, blah.
    He told Tee about the new law and said we've had a report you don't let Blacks in your place of business.

Tee nodded and said that's right, and "You are one" Tee just looked at the guy, he spun around and left the bar, never to be heard from again.

He was a lot smarter than the young guy. lol
    P.S. As Tall Jimmie said "anyone who looks at Tee and wants to argue, is wanting to be punished"
    Last edited by androd; 02-15-2017, 05:37 PM.
    Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
    (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Hot streak

San Antonio 1980,
      I'd been spending a lot of time there, courting my wife and playing pool.
      Next door to each other, two pool rooms , Ye Old Billiard Parlor and Bananas.

I was in Bananas playing a guy named John McCue, he said he lived in Detroit, he had been around S.A. for a month or so. I later heard in Detroit they called him California John. A lot of pool players came to S.A. trying to catch Continental Dave.

We were playing 10 ball and I was losing about $200 or more @ $20 a game.
      I caught a gear and began getting all the rolls and playing well, I won
      4 or 5 games and John said we'll finish next door where the tables are better. I didn't argue, I said fine.

We went over and continued the game, I kept my streak going and got even, John said "you're too frigging lucky" I quit.

A guy I didn't know was sitting in the barber chair watching the game, he
      looked sorta like a boxer, he said c'mon Rodney I'll play you some 10 ball. What I found odd was he asked me by name, I said "since you know my name you'll have to give me the 9and10, he said if I give you the 9and10 you have to bet $200 a game. Game on, John Hager was there, he asked for 20% of my bet, I said ok.

We started playing and my streak held, I was playing well and getting the rolls, after a couple of hours I was 10 or 12 games winner.

Then the guy put on an exhibition, never missed one ball, beat me to the shot on all roll outs and just played perfectly, about as good as I'd seen.

I woke up before daylight and quit 6 games winner, I went up and paid our time, he came and asked "what time do you get here every day" I said about 1:30, why do you ask? He said I figured you're tired now and we can
      play more tomorrow. I said "yes I'm tired, tired of you running out on my ass" He just smiled and walked away.

Their was a group of folks in the room I didn't know, with a used car guy from S.A. that I'd seen around, I was having some drinks and a good time.

One of the strangers came over and asked if I'd take a $100 bet on an Olympic Hockey match, and what are the odds? I had no idea so I said 7 to 5 take your pick, I meant to get rid of the guy, he got excited and wished to bet more,
      nope $100 only. He said I want Canada against the
      U S A tonight. I said put it up with the house, if they don't play tonight no bet.

More drinks and I began playing flop gin with the used car dealer,
      He was playing the wave with the cards and I was winning so I didn't care
      I've forgotten how much we played for, not cheap I'm sure.

He got close to even, I quit, he asked why, I said those cards are all bent up.
      What are you trying to say? forget it, I said I quit. He said are you accusing me of cheating? I'd had plenty to drink so I said " as a matter of fact"

He said get your bird dog ass outside. I took off my watch and gave it to Hager, he said watch those other guys, I'll be out there in a sec.

When I got outside Little Larry, one of the owners was talking to the car man, next thing I see, Larry with his knife out chasing the guy down San Pedro ave. swiping at the guys ass, the guy was really moving for a big man.

If you think I wasn't on a hot streak, I beat a guy much better than I playing pool, I won $140 on a hockey game they made a movie about, it was such a big upset and Little Larry came from nowhere to save me from getting my drunk ass kicked.

The next day Hager and I went to Abilene, stayed 4 or 5 days. When we got back we heard the pool player had won a good score from Freddy, a bookmaker friend who would gamble high with a big spot, I believe they said Freddy was getting 12to5 or some such.

BTW The pool player is a member here, if this isn't how he remembers it, message me and I'll edit this journal post.
      Last edited by androd; 02-16-2017, 05:38 PM.
      Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Pass with Care, Do Not Pass.

Jimmy and I found ourselves in Kentucky in around 1968, we stopped in several towns where someone told us there was action.

As for the title, if you weren't on the interstate in 1968 the state highways were mostly 2 lane with those signs very close together, because of the hilly country I suppose.

We played in a few towns, I can't remember all the names, I remember Glascow, the fellow that would supposedly play wasn't there.

We had avoided the bigger cities, people tried to send us to Bowling Green,
        I knew Johnny Edwards was a fine player so we skipped there.

We stopped in Russellville and found action. Two players were there,
        Joe Dan Blue and Browder Murphy. Murphy worked for the highway dept and Joe Dan was young and not working as I remember.

Jimmy played $10 nine ball with Murphy and won $50 dollars, Game over.
        On of the fellows at the bar, said I'll stake Joe Dan for $50 a game, Game on.

Joe Dan played a little better than Murph, the tables were 4x8 in good shape, so both players got out a lot. They played a few hours and Jimmy was $100 winner.
        The house man said we're getting ready to close, it was 8: 45.

Smart gambler that Jimmy was said, We'll just quit now, we can play tomorrow, what time do you open ? 7: AM

The next day we learned the stake horse was John Williams, known as the Tennessee Valley Termite Man.
        Someone in the area had been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, around there they called them Fiddler Spiders.

John W. had made a fortune exterminating them, although they were not indigenous to the area. The unlucky man bitten, lost his leg and almost his life.

John W. had a sales meeting at the pool room every morning at 7:30, we heard about this after we got there, about 9:30. We usually stayed up most nights and 9:30 was the best we could do.

They were waiting and John W. said $100 a game is OK, we put up and game on.
        We lost 3 in a row and John said how about a race for a $1000, Jimmy said no race, I'll play 6 ahead for it. Game on.

It took Jimmy till about 6 pm to win the money, John wanted to play a short race for $300, Jimmy said no dice, I'm tired we'll play some more tomorrow.

I'll try to post more tomorrow.
        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Pool allowance

The next morning we arrived about 8:AM, the sales meeting was just breaking up, The salesmen all had maps and were lining out the days calls and arguing about this and that, they all had a picture of the guys leg rotting away. John was anxious to get the pool started, Joe Dan wasn't there yet.

John started asking me for a spot and Jimmy started shaking his head no while looking at John.

Joe Dan came in and started hitting balls and John said 11 out of 21 for $500 and Jimmy said OK. Game on.
          Jimmy won the 1st set 11/3, he lost the next 11/9, won the next two 11/8 and 11/9. Game over. John said we'll try some more tomorrow, I thought that was strange as it was still kind of early.

John left and we hung around doing nothing, I got to talking to one of the old settlers, he told me John had himself on a thousand $ a day pool allowance.

About 6:PM the owner called me over and said Phone for you, I thought it might be John, it was Johnny Edwards, he said he heard we liked to gamble and we should come to his place, I said yeah maybe when we leave here.
          He said come on now it's only 30 miles. I said not tonight, probably come over tomorrow night. I figured John W. was over there plotting with Edwards.

I played some $3.00 ring 7 ball with 3 guys till closing time, They play with a regular 9 ball rack, but the 8 and 9 had no value. The only games I won were when I'd roll the 7ball and luck it in. I never made any kind of medium hard shot, I lost $39 bucks. we called it a night.
          Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

7 Ball

We showed about 8:AM, nothing going on, we went for breakfast.
            Back about 9:AM, no Joe Dan, John W. was there trying to call him, not home.
            Coffee and BS, with John hinting around to see if we were going to play Johnny Edwards, I told him maybe tomorrow. Jimmy hit balls around for an hour or so, then said I'm going to the movie.

Jimmy wasn't out of site till John started hustling me to give him a spot playing 7 ball. we haggled a while because I'd not seen him hit a ball, he was wanting action bad, so we began to play even, with the agreement we'd adjust if it was lopsided, $50 bucks, game on.

I was sure he gotten a rundown from last night, so I started out kind of slow.
            I won 5 games without showing much, he said "time to adjust" I offered the last two but no deal, we haggled a little more and I gave the call 6ball. I won 5 more games, he said "time to adjust" I offered the wild 6ball, no deal.

All we can do now says John is the wild 5ball for $100 a game. After some hemming and hawing, Game on.
            When Jimmy got back (it was a double feature) I was winner of John's self imposed daily allowance.

Sometime earlier the phone for me, Johnny Edwards wanted to know where we were? I said we'll come over tomorrow if we're not playing.
            John W. asked if we were going over there, I said maybe.

Fishing tomorrow.
            Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Fishing and catching.

The next AM i asked Joe Dan's brother, why he hadn't been in ?
              He said a friend of Joes from a nearby town had called him to come over and maybe play pool.

The friend said a big guy came in the pool room there carrying a 7 or 8 pound Bass, he was showing it off and asked if anyone knew anything about fishing and would like to gamble on it. One of the locals went out and looked for a strange car, there was a car with Texas plates that had fishing rods sticking out a window.

So they asked if he was from Texas, he said yup, I'm a Texas champion fisherman and a Texas champion 9 ball player, I'll be around here fishing for about a week, anybody wants to gamble, I'm staying at the Kentucky Lakes lodge, name's Sinclair.

Joe went over and one of the guys that had his friend call wanted to stake him, it was still pretty early so they went over to the Lodge, manager said not here, out fishing. They rented a boat and motor from the marina and went out on the lake to look for him. Not a lot of people out fishing, they found him easily.

They hauled him back to town and he dusted them off for $800.

That's how Joe Dan Blue Met U.J. Puckett.

Meanwhile back at Russellville, Johnny Edwards was calling, I told him tomorrow, he got pretty irritated. After lunch and still no Joe Dan.
              Jimmy was in the back hitting balls, and guess who walks in the door?

Later.
              Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

I'm sure you guessed who.

Early afternoon in strolls Johnny E. he began talking with John W.
                I yelled back at Jimmy and pointed at Johnny, Look, Look, that's him, that's the guy I was telling you about.
                Man what a player, he's a straight shooting rascal.

Johnny didn't like that at all, he came to me, said I remember you, let's play some 9 ball, no way champ I'm not in your league. How about your horse back there?

I seriously doubt it, but he's his own man, if you'n's play can I get a piece of yourn? He said what happened to y'all? I just winked at him and walked away.

He went on back and started talking to Jimmy, I saw Jimmy shaking his head no, they kept at it a while, then begin racking the balls.

John W. came over and asked for a bet, I said I don't know what they're doing, he said I don't care I just want a sweat bet. I said OK $50 a game, even if they're playing a race. Game on.

They were playing a race to 11 for $500. Johnny was spotting the 8 ball.
                First race Jimmy won 11 to 9, second race the 8 ball showed up a few games, on the break, combos and Jimmy won easily 11 to 5. John W. went $400 over his allowance because he said he was staking Johnny.

Johnny was now barking about playing even, I'd guess he wanted to get his money in action, Jimmy just smiled and said no thanks !

Joe dan's brother, don't know his name, everybody called him Blue, asked for a ride home as Joe Dan didn't show, Jimmy said drop me at the room I'm beat.

After letting Jimmy out we're rolling to bro's house, take a right and stop at the gate 2 miles on, I stopped. He jumped out and opened it and said left at the big oak 100 yards down yonder, got there I saw no road and a creek, he said stay left of that boulder in the creek and on up the hill, when we topped the hill a nice double wide trailer with a deck across the front.

He said sit down at the table in the yard, I'm going to wake the wife and have her fix some breakfast, OK with you? You like bacon and eggs?
                Well I hate to wake your wife, if you're going to do it eggs and bacon is great.

Inside he went, came back out with a couple of beers and a derringer pistol.

I threw my hands up jokingly, he waved me off and said "I guess you guys from Texas can shoot"

I said I could come closer to hitting something throwing that gun than shooting it. He emptied his beer and threw the can out in the yard, he said a dollar a shot, I said go ahead, he hit the can. I was amazed.
                He said this one is different, it's not a 38 it's chambered for 22 longs and shoots straight.

His wife came out and served us a bigboy breakfast, we ate and he went in
                and got an igloo with beer and we started shooting.

I had a fine time eating, drinking, and losing my money target shooting till midnight.

I said I may get lost getting out of here, nah can't get lost, stay to the right of the boulder until you hit the lane,
                turn right, be sure to close my gate, buy some gas with the $10 dollars you owe me.

One of the nights in my life I'll never forget.

Jonesy next.
                Last edited by androd; 02-24-2017, 10:27 AM.
                Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Jonesy

The next day was slow in the morning, John W. wasn't in a happy mood, still no Joe Dan. I tried to get the ring 7 ball going, no dice.

About noon in came Johnny E. had a pair of different guys with him.
                  Tried again to play Jimmy even, Jimmy wasn't having any, so we became no gambling, nit, lock artist's. Finally Johnny got around to saying his rackman, name of Jones would play 9 ball, no races just $50 a game.

Jim said to me this guy's gonna be a player, yeah I know, what the hell we got'em loser, lets shoot $500 at him.
                  John w. came to me and said $50 a game, told him you've got a bet.

They called him Jonsey, he did play real well and Jimmy was on top of his game, they played 7 hours till the hall closed and were even. Jonesy was wired and inspired, about every hour they took him outside for a smuggled beer. We were never $400 winner or loser, very tight game. After they quit Johnny said "come to my place and you can bet high and win something."

Jimmy told him come back here tomorrow and Y'all can bet high and win something.
                  The barking and growling was over and we agreed to play tomorrow.
                  Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Bobby's gone.

The next AM everyone was talking about the Robert Kennedy assassination,
                    Some goober asked, did you boys from Texas git another one? Is that where Spearhand is from? all I could do was shake my head.

Johnny and Jonesy and crew came about 11:AM, Game on. Same $50 a game.
                    John W. had left by then, didn't say anything, just took off.

Jonesy looked rough, like he'd been up all night, bloodshot eyes, same clothes. No matter, he was playing really good, got 5 games winner right away.
                    Jimmy was playing well also but Jonesy was flashing hot.

Jimmy yelled at me, Oh man I forgot my medicine, give me the car keys, he told Jonesy go have a beer I've got to go to the room, and he left.

Johnny's asking me what the hell? beats me.

While Jimmy's gone, John W. comes back, I give him a rundown and ask if he wants a bet when they restart, he says I'm sick of betting on other people I want to play myself. I had already beaten him with the wild 5, I asked him to play that again, no way. Haggled and settled on 7 ball, wild 5 and 6 game on.

We began to play, he didn't try to run the balls, just rolled them hard every shot. His system was working well, he loused in a lot of pay balls, he was 4 games winner when Jim got back about 30 minutes later.

Johnny was ranting and raving about us stalling his player.

Jimmy said I have Epilepsy, if I don't take my meds I could have an attack, I'm to take them with food, I been hurrying. When Jim walked around to get his cue he winked at me.

Seems Jimmy's stall slowed Jonesy down, they played another 6 hours and ended even for the day.

John and I played till closing, I quit 2 games winner.

John said I never win at pool anymore, I'm gonna lay off two weeks, then quit. I've had it.

We went to our room and decided to leave tomorrow.
                    Last edited by androd; 02-26-2017, 07:57 PM.
                    Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Country ham

We were enjoying sleeping late, because we'd planned to leave town.

About 8:30AM, a loud banging on our door, as I've probably said before it's on my Bucket List to kill a maid.
                      I leaped out of bed, jerked the door open, ready to pounce.

To my surprise there stood John W. He said son you can't make any money laid up in bed pulling yer pud. John what the hell? Get dressed I'm gonna treat you to the best Country ham you ever ate. I got dressed.

He loaded me in his new Lincoln and drove us to Bowling Green, we had the Country Boy breakfast, Pancakes, eggs, country ham. biscuits and syrup.

I'd never had country ham, it seemed very salty to me, but I didn't mention it, everything else was great and a lot of it.

He drove us back to Russellville and went winding off in some sorta rundown area, I asked whats up, he said lets get a nip to help digest breakfast.
                      He pulled up to some shack and honked, a guy came on the porch and raised his eyebrows, John held up two fingers and yelled top shelf.

On to the pool room with two 1/2 pints of I.W. Harper on our hips.

He said you didn't convince me yesterday. Game on. Happily Jimmy was there with the car, so I got my cue, we began playing.
                      He wasn't as lucky as yesterday and I won his limit in about 5 hours.

He said now you've convinced me.

Jimmy had loaded the car and checked out, we said goodbyes and took off.
                      We stopped to fill up, a guy working there said I see you're from Texas, yes from Houston. I spect you know my brother Jarvis, he lives right there in Pasadena, works at Rohm and Haas. I grinned and said no I don't think I've met him. He asked ain't Pasadena right there next door to Houston?

I talked about the guy for the next few miles. Jim said people in small towns know everyone, he thinks Houston is like that.

On the road home.
                      Last edited by androd; 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM.
                      Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Happy coincidence.

We decided to pass through Little Rock on our way to Houston,
                        arrived early evening, still light.
                        Went to the Little Rock Cafe on the boundary river with North Little Rock.

The rec room had a lot of customers, Bojack and Barefoot Calvin Hargrave were there, asked about Tennessee Tarzan AKA Mike Massey, were told he'd left town.

8 ball game going for a beer, I put my coin up and a couple of games later I was up, won easily and then again, next fellow was a cowboy looking guy, 6 ft 2" Cockroach killer boots, tight legged Jeans and a pearl button shirt.

Bojack and Calvin asked him for bets, I said $10's a bet with me? he said OK, but no to the rail business. His name was Curly, he was a little tipsy.
                        Bojack got a chance and told me you might make a score here, if you do I'm in, Yeah OK.

I won the 1st game and he racked the table and didn't offer to pay, after what Bojack said I let it go. I won the 2nd and he racked and said $20, I glanced at Bo and he was rubbing his thumb and forefinger together, I said $20's a bet
                        Give me the $20 you owe.

He said "if you start hassling me about money, I'll shoot your ass."
                        I picked up a couple of balls and the cue ball, he asked whatcha gonna do with that?
                        You don't look like you got a gun in them jeans, if you find one I'm going to see if you're as good a catcher as Yogi Berra.
                        I was pretty brave, Jimmy had the puck from the shuffle alley and had eased closer to Curly.

Bojack chimes in, what's the matter with you Curly, you looking for a fight?
                        Curly looks up, what do you care?

Bojack says I'll fight you for all you got, Curly says, bet and started getting money outta those tight Jeans, it was dropping on the floor and in the booth with Calvin and Bo, they started helping him count it.

I never knew how much it was, I'm sure Calvin and Bo swung with all they could. After the cash was counted and Bojack matched it, Bo said one rule Curly "No Kicking", I mean it, kicking loses the money.

Out the back door of the cafe part, there were stairs down to a level place about 20x20 the back edge sloped down to the river.

Down the gladiators went and squared off, curley took of his shirt.
                        There was a mob of us around the door trying to see. I got there early and had a view.

Bo jabbed him with a left and Curly came with a looping overhand right, Bo moved inside and put him in a headlock.
                        They tussled a minute and Curly couldn't get away. Bo's hollering give up Curly, give up, then he hit him hard in the face with his open hand, after a couple of more minutes, and a few more pops in the face Curly gives up.

Everyone goes back in the rec room, Bo's buying beers for those around him and a happy time is being had by all, even Curly wasn't really hurt.

There are booths around two sides of the room and they're pretty full, one drunk guy is going from booth to booth telling the drinkers, you know I shoulda won that money, I was middleweight champ in the navy, that guy can't fight a lick.
                        After making his speech to 4 or 5 booths, he got to where Curly was sitting with Calvin and Bojack, well he didn't realize that he was talking to Curly who was sitting on the end.
                        In a flash Curly picked this guy up and slammed him into the pool table, the guy crumpled to the floor and Curly began kicking him, A few kicks to the jaw and temple, the guy was out and helpless. It looked like he might kick an eye out.

Curly was just getting warmed up.
                        I have often asked myself why? I grabbed Curly from the back, my arms around him and spun him around, when I did I was looking face to face at two North Little Rock Policemen.

One said turn him loose, I did. I said I was trying to stop him from kicking the guy's eye out, I pointed to the guy part way under the pool table. Bojack said that's right officer.
                        The cop asked me "where you from" I said 5607 Pershing, he said OK stand over there, pointed towards the entrance to the rec room and the front door. I did.

The other cop was now bent over the victim, my guy joined him.
                        I looked out the door and Jimmy had the car running and the passenger door open, he was waving at me. I bailed and we were gone.

5607 Pershing was my address in houston, I hadn't wanted to say I was from out of state, so I had played dumb, the next day Bojack told me Pershing was a residential street a couple of blocks from the main drag in North Little Rock.

BTW Bo wouldn't pay the twenty bucks from the pool game that started it all.
                        Last edited by androd; 03-02-2017, 12:36 AM.
                        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Banditos
                          As told to me by Bobby Parker.

Before T.J. went to work at Red's, he and his son Bobby were hanging around Cassidy's pool room on IH10. They were horsing around and rough housing while leaving one afternoon, Bobby bumped into a pair of bikers at the bar.

One guy said "Watch it Punk" Tee said sorry fellows, my fault I shoved him too hard.
                          The guy said watch your old antique ass, I might have to shove you too hard.
                          Tee said no problem we're leaving, guy said yeah get yore ass outta here, fore sumpen bad happens to ya.

Bobby told me he couldn't believe it, when they went out there were 4 or 5 Banditos leaning against the wall, bikes lined up in front.

T.J. went right to the car, opened the drivers side door and took his .45 from under the seat, put it in his belt in back, told Bobby, just stand out of the way.

He went back to the door and yelled to the mouthy one, come out a minute,the guys out here said it was your bike I hit.

The guy came roaring out, screaming you better not ahit my Bike. He was looking at his hog, Tee said Hey Bud, when he turned Tee hit him in the middle of his bandana, Hard. He dropped, Tee turned to his buds, calmly racked a shell into the barrel, said don't ! move back against the wall.

Bobby said he couldn't hear everything, but Tee paced back and forth in front of those Banditos Raving and ranting as he did when he went off the air, for a few minutes. As luck would have it good/bad, the leader of that chapter, The guy was called Sprocket, he rode up and parked his bike.

Tee told him get over here with your asshole buddies, he did, and started to try to reason with Tee.
                          Tee said I know you, I know where you live, the house with all the junk in the yard. If I ever hear of you or your club bothering either of my boys, I'll kill you, your wife, your dogs, anybody else there at the time and burn your house down.

Do you believe me you sorry excuse for a tough guy, tell me and I might not shoot you right now, you POS. He said yes I do believe you. Tee started pacing again, walked up and down ranting at all bikers for a few more minutes, then said "Lets go Bobby" and they left. The first guy was still out on the curb.

As Paul Harvey would say now "The rest of the story"

Around 7 years later I was arrested for Gambling and in the county Jail, T.J.'s ex wife Mary was a nurse there. Bless her heart when see saw me she said, later. Every Saturday morning she had me called down to the nurses station.
                          We'd have fresh coffee, donuts and chat about this and that.

I asked if Bobby had told her that story ? She said he had, sprocket had been in county a few years before, she asked him about it ?
                          He said he'd been around many crazy people, but had never been that scared before. He said Tee had the wildest look in his eyes he'd ever seen, and he thought he was gonna die that day.

Picture, thanks to Bill Porters great site Smugmug. Circa 1983 Reds tourney
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by androd; 04-26-2017, 12:29 AM.
                          Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Parkers and Tano.

I received an e-mail from a member, copied below.

" I also remember a handicapped player. Small, thin and may have been Hispanic. He did not have a complete right arm and would grip the handle of the cue in his armpit. His left arm was not complete but longer. Do you remember his name? He seemed to always be gambling. "

Taitano Carrillo is my friends name, he's a very nice man and talented pool player.

He was there when Bille and Casey came on Wednesday.
                            I told Casey this story about Tano.

A player, Jason from Des Moines, was in Houston a while, he was working for a Oncology company.
                            He played very good 9 ball, played with David G, Aaron Salinas (Senor)
                            Jim Perry, all very good players.

He came to the room and wanted to play one pocket, said he needed to learn.
                            Tano said well you'll need to give me a spot but we can play. They agreed on 11/7 Tano won $100, next day they changed the game 10/7 Tano won $100,
                            Third day 9/7 Tano won $200.

A few day went by Jason came, said I don't know why I spot you, we need to play even. Tano said no way. I was there I said I'll stake Tano to play even.

How much, I don't care, whatever.
                            He said and we play dead even? Jason is 6'3'' Tano is about 5'

He said how about $500, I said OK, he said dead even,
                            I said yes, you both shoot holding the cue stick under your arm.

Jason got embarrassed, his face turned red and out the door.

The rest of the story, Jason inherited money moved back to Des Moines and became a major player for the hustlers on the circuit.

P.S. Tano is the most amazing thing I've seen in pool, much more amazing than the Palominos.

Picture from Jersey Red's posthumus entry into One Pocket. org. hall of fame.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by androd; 04-24-2017, 11:37 AM.
                            Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

T.J and credit.

I ran into T.J.'s son Bobby today and we rehashed some old stories.
                              Bobby said and I agreed that most would not be believed.

One that's a good one is T.J could not finance an automobile.
                              His credit report said the auto wouldn't be able to be repossessed.

Some time in the 60/70's he bought a car from Al Parker buick, I guess his credit was iffy because he was about 5 weeks behind
                              on his payment, I don't know if it was a cash flow problem or an oversite or what.

They repossessed his car, when he got up and found his car missing he called the police, they checked and told him his car had been repossessed.

He got a ride to the dealership and went in the GM's office. He told the man have his car washed and bring it around to the front
                              because someone had stolen it and the police said it was there.

The GM noticed the pistol in his belt and asked what is that for?
                              He said I thought maybe you'd have the repo man come talk to me and some of those guys are kinda rough.

The guy thought he could handle Tee, said sorry but getting your car isn't possible.
                              Tee wound his hand up in the guys tie , told him if my car is not out there in 30 minutes, I'm gonna put knots on your head that'll
                              take an ant a week to crawl around.

The guy called the porter and told him to get busy. Tee sat there and waited til they washed his car and brought it around.

He finished paying for the car but could never finance another.
                              Last edited by androd; 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM.
                              Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Parkers and Tano

In about 1974/75 Coors put on a tourney in Houston, The top few finishers went to Las Vegas to play in a tourney with people from
                                around the country.

My friend Tano placed 2nd in the Houston tourney and went on to play in Vegas, at the Tropicana. The tourney was played on 4x8
                                tables.

His 1st match, a race to 5, he won the lag and broke and ran 4 racks.
                                The 5th game he broke dry and left his opponent straight in the side.
                                The guy was so intimidated he missed.

After his win Fats was there talking to a crowd and UPI was there, if you can believe it Fats excused himself and went over and congratulated Tano.
                                Tano got some nice press after that.

Tano beat the next 4 guys he played, he needed one more win to get in the money.
                                Unfortunately he drew Richie Ambrose and lost to him.

An amazing feat for a man holding the cue stick under his arm, shooting off the rail or using the bridge.
                                Last edited by androd; 04-28-2017, 11:14 AM.
                                Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Working...
                                X