Winning One-pocket...

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Eddie,

Does that mean that eventually you intend to publish the 3rd one-pocket volume? BTW, I've said it before but thanks again for publishing the one-pocket books!

Martin

Eddie Robin said:
For those of you wanting new Winning One-Pocket books [W1Ps] of the much improved second edition [published 1996] contact Deno Andrews [E-mail address: denoandrews@sbcglobal.net] He still has some left for $225 + $10 S&H. I have some very, very slightly damaged ones [close inspection required to see flaw or flaws in front or rear cover material] left that have never even been opened that have been going for around $200 on eBay.

FYI, there was originally supposed to be a single book on one-pocket but there was far too much for one book and so there was to be a set of three one-pocket books. I went out of business before publishing the third. It would have all been one large book had I been able to fit all three books into less than 500 pages.

Though W1P is valued above its brother book, Shots, Moves, & Strategies [SMS], it's only because W1P became scarce a year earlier and many figured it must be the better book because it costs more money. Actually, the SMS book is the far better value for advanced players and I can't understand why anyone would want only a part of the work. SMS takes off where W1P leaves off.

Hope this has helped, and thanks to all of you for appreciating my work. There's nothing I'd like more than to publish the many books I'd originally intended. I might get back into publishing books within another year or so.

Eddie Robin E-mail address: eddierobin@aol.com

Eddie Robin

Verified Member
Third Book of the One-Pocket set

Third Book of the One-Pocket set

Hi Martin,

The answer is a definite yes but I still don't know how long it will take me to get back into business; its been over eight years already since my last publication. I intend to publish books on other games as well. Most of the work was actually completed several years ago but must be somewhat reconstructed due to a computer hard-drive disaster back in 1997.

Thanks once again for your appreciation of my books. The idea of six co-authors, by the way, worked quite well--those guys were much valued for the highly-acclaimed products we put out. I hope to get back into business for them as well as for myself; they have not been sufficiently rewarded for their contributions.

For the playing of a better game,

Eddie Robin

lewdo26

Verified Member
Eddie, thanks a whole lot for taking the time to respond yourself. I, no less than anyone, wish to see you back into the publishing business, and will be sure to get the whole collection once they are out. I would also like to have your 3-cushion work as well. Best wishes.

TulsaJohnny

Verified Member
Eddie Robin's books....

Eddie Robin's books....

I believe that to read Winning One Pocket and not then also get Shots, Moves, and Strategies as well is like looking at a fine statue from one side. Might as well get even more enlightenment while you can... your opponents have already read both more than likely. The second book sells for less on ebay but that will quickly change when everyone figures out that there are only a few of them left as well! It's a nearly identical book but with just as much info... I read it over and over again. I was reading it last night and discovered that one of the most well executed shots I have ever seen (which is on a tape I own) is in the book.... Ronnie Allen shooting a backward double bank to win against Keith McCready. I think it's on page 194. To have whole books full of shots like that is incredible. -Johnny

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Eddie Robin said:
Hi Martin,

The answer is a definite yes but I still don't know how long it will take me to get back into business; its been over eight years already since my last publication. I intend to publish books on other games as well. Most of the work was actually completed several years ago but must be somewhat reconstructed due to a computer hard-drive disaster back in 1997.

Thanks once again for your appreciation of my books. The idea of six co-authors, by the way, worked quite well--those guys were much valued for the highly-acclaimed products we put out. I hope to get back into business for them as well as for myself; they have not been sufficiently rewarded for their contributions.

Eddie Robin
That is great news, especially to hear from the man himself!

Eddie, in my opinion your books 'raised the bar' for all billiards instructional books, not just One Pocket and 3C. Not only are they packed with top level advice and hundreds of excellent drawings, they have so many little entertaining historical shorts, they are a good read just for those!!

You certainly helped advance my own interest in One Pocket history, which is reflected here on this site.

I can't thank you enough for your huge contribution to the advancement in One Pocket instruction in general, and my own knowledge in particular.

Here's a toast to you!!

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Gotta agree

Gotta agree

NH Steve said:
That is great news, especially to hear from the man himself!

Eddie, in my opinion your books 'raised the bar' for all billiards instructional books, not just One Pocket and 3C. Not only are they packed with top level advice and hundreds of excellent drawings, they have so many little entertaining historical shorts, they are a good read just for those!!

You certainly helped advance my own interest in One Pocket history, which is reflected here on this site.

I can't thank you enough for your huge contribution to the advancement in One Pocket instruction in general, and my own knowledge in particular.

Here's a toast to you!!
I've got to totally agree with you, Steve. Eddie, you really are one of the good guys.

yobagua

About 8 years ago I was in Kalamazoo solely to attend the US one pocket open. I sat down to have a cup of coffee and noticed that Steve Cook was sitting next to me. We talked and he told me to make sure I got the 2 Eddie Robins book. At that time they were selling for $100 for both of them. It was pretty steep at that time compared to other pool books but because Steve was so courteous and took the time to talk with me about one hole that I said what the hell and picked up the last pair. Damn it was one lucky day.

piggybank04

Verified Member
lfigueroa said:
The very best instructional materiels are the Accu-Stats matches. Whether you want to learn 1pocket, 9ball, 14.1, or 3C. You watch different players, listen to the commentary, the light bulb goes on, and you go, "ahhhh."

Lou Figueroa
I agree wholeheartedly--i watch those tapes a million times and in many cases i come up with better moves.sometimes i learn new stuff also.whether you have an offensive or defensive style,i guarantee these tapes will help you.....gambling with better players doesnt hurt either;if you have the cheese to lose......... :eek:

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I moved the OldHasBeen and Lou exchange into the Member's Cafe forum. I didn't want it to distract or detract from the comments about Eddie Robin's fine books here.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
So, Eddie, a few questions:

What happen to the info for the third volume?

And, are you surprised at how much these books have risen in value, become sought after and collected?

I cherish my two first editions and revist them often.

Lou Figueroa

Eddie Robin said:
For those of you wanting new Winning One-Pocket books [W1Ps] of the much improved second edition [published 1996] contact Deno Andrews [E-mail address: denoandrews@sbcglobal.net] He still has some left for $225 + $10 S&H. I have some very, very slightly damaged ones [close inspection required to see flaw or flaws in front or rear cover material] left that have never even been opened that have been going for around $200 on eBay.

FYI, there was originally supposed to be a single book on one-pocket but there was far too much for one book and so there was to be a set of three one-pocket books. I went out of business before publishing the third. It would have all been one large book had I been able to fit all three books into less than 500 pages.

Though W1P is valued above its brother book, Shots, Moves, & Strategies [SMS], it's only because W1P became scarce a year earlier and many figured it must be the better book because it costs more money. Actually, the SMS book is the far better value for advanced players and I can't understand why anyone would want only a part of the work. SMS takes off where W1P leaves off.

Hope this has helped, and thanks to all of you for appreciating my work. There's nothing I'd like more than to publish the many books I'd originally intended. I might get back into publishing books within another year or so.

Eddie Robin E-mail address: eddierobin@aol.com

FoxyCoxy

Verified Member
From
Seneca, SC
THE Books

THE Books

I have both of Eddie`s books and in my humble opinion they are the best books out there on 1P. I purchased "Winning one pocket" from Fountain Inn Red Willis. This was his personal copy which was autographed " To my pal Red signed Weenie Beenie". The other "Shots Moves and Strategies" I ordered directly from Eddie. I re-read and study these regularly. I bought both shortly after they were published for $40 each. They are not for sale, sorry.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Hi Martin,

Eddie Robin

I have all 4 of the ER books and can't wait for the next to be released:). I'm guessing that ER & AB should be done writing soon and be a gettin' to publishin'.:p

I've heard of the Lizard Skin books, I wonder if he'll have any DuckSkin books?

RBL

Bill Stock

I have both of Eddie`s books and in my humble opinion they are the best books out there on 1P. I purchased "Winning one pocket" from Fountain Inn Red Willis. This was his personal copy which was autographed " To my pal Red signed Weenie Beenie". The other "Shots Moves and Strategies" I ordered directly from Eddie. I re-read and study these regularly. I bought both shortly after they were published for $40 each. They are not for sale, sorry.

I have Winning One Pocket (2nd Edition) and Shots, Moves and Strategies. $300 for the set. If interested email me at rwstock@yahoo.com. Brand new condition.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I don't know, because I don't have possession of either, but aren't the instructional videos a better bet than "Upscale One Pocket?" I'm thinking Grady's stuff and Willie Jopling's. I heard that "Upscale One Pocket" is too basic. Heard the same thing about Allen Hopkins' video. I know Incardona also has an instructional but I haven't heard any reviews on that one. I never lose hope that one day... perhaps 10 years from now (hey, it may be worth the wait!), Eddie Robins' books will again be widely available. As things now stand, I respectfully refuse to pay over $200 for his books as a matter of principle. And I had two chances of getting 'em.

The minute Eddie passes, there will be on demand print copies from India, and ebay will be swamped with them.
I hope it is many many years from now.
The minute they aren't worth anything , most people will quit wanting them at any price.
Especially more than they can sell them for.

Gradys stuff is very good, Incardonas is good also.
Winning One pocket was very good , Shots Moves and Strategies require anyone adventurous enough to shoot some of those shots to be a world class player.
Willie Joplings was gettting out of the break , pretty good , very cautious style.
I thought Upscale One Pocket had a lot of info many people never think of, until it costs them a lot of money.
Hopkins video I have not seen.
He is a great player, so I imagine there is something of value in it.

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
The minute Eddie passes, there will be on demand print copies from India, and ebay will be swamped with them.
I hope it is many many years from now.
The minute they aren't worth anything , most people will quit wanting them at any price.
Especially more than they can sell them for.

Gradys stuff is very good, Incardonas is good also.
Winning One pocket was very good , Shots Moves and Strategies require anyone adventurous enough to shoot some of those shots to be a world class player.
Willie Joplings was gettting out of the break , pretty good , very cautious style.
I thought Upscale One Pocket had a lot of info many people never think of, until it costs them a lot of money.
Hopkins video I have not seen.
He is a great player, so I imagine there is something of value in it.

The books hold collectable value based on low print runs. Players generally won't afford something like that. But a player who really likes collecting will. Book collectors in general.....

No ones jumping up and down about the noble game of billiards from a few hundred years ago but it's still valuable and lacks the sets depth and range plus cool stories lol.

They are the most some of the most unique works of instruction and literature the game has ever had lol.

I think it's just the same guff as "custom cues are too expensive" so it's not worth it because x production cue works fine.

Plenty like having the real McCoy even if free is available