Winning One-pocket...

shoutout33

Verified Member
From
DC Metro Area
Ok, I've accepted that I will never see this book in person again. Even though I had the chance to get one even though I wasn't even thinking about taking one-pocket that seriously, I should have plunked down the money to get it. (sigh..) Oh well, now that one pocket seems to be taking off pretty good now, what's out their that can come close too or compare to this book? I mean, it's probably not likely, but you never know. Does anyone know if they've planned to make a reprint or something...anything? Can't blame a wannabe for trying can you? :D

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
There's no book that comes close to "Winning One-Pocket" except "More Moves, Shots, and Strategies" by same author Eddie Robin. These 2 books turn up on Ebay quite often. In fact, not long ago Eddie Robin was selling a few of each. I haven't looked to see if any are available lately. Both books are full of valuable one-pocket information and entertaining anecdotes that can be read and studied again and again.

Martin

shoutout33 said:
Ok, I've accepted that I will never see this book in person again. Even though I had the chance to get one even though I wasn't even thinking about taking one-pocket that seriously, I should have plunked down the money to get it. (sigh..) Oh well, now that one pocket seems to be taking off pretty good now, what's out their that can come close too or compare to this book? I mean, it's probably not likely, but you never know. Does anyone know if they've planned to make a reprint or something...anything? Can't blame a wannabe for trying can you? :D

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
You might want to look for Upscale One Pocket by Jack Koehler. It's a fair starter book for the money (+/- $15 on Amazon)). Not up to the level of Robins' two books though.

Troy

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
shoutout33 said:
Ok, I've accepted that I will never see this book in person again. Even though I had the chance to get one even though I wasn't even thinking about taking one-pocket that seriously, I should have plunked down the money to get it. :D
There are still a good number of Robin's books available, including WOP. Check with Deno Andrews on RSB. He still had a number of them left a couple of months ago. I think they were running $235 at that time.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
shoutout33 said:
Doc, sorry for my ignorance, but what is RSB?
That's rec.sport.billiard. It's a newsgroup. If it's not included in your newsgroup offerings on your ISP, then go to google.com and type rec.sport.billiard in the search box. Follow the directions. When you get on the site, either start a new thread to Deno Andrews, or find his name, click on it, and PM him. He's a nice guy, and also trustworthy.

Doc

mick012656

Verified Member
From
Wichita, Ks.
gulfportdoc said:
There are still a good number of Robin's books available, including WOP. Check with Deno Andrews on RSB. He still had a number of them left a couple of months ago. I think they were running $235 at that time.

Doc
I have just bought the Winning One-Pocket book for $220. on e-bay... they are still out there if you look hard enough.

r0ttie1

Verified Member
From
Phoenix
Eddie Robin got 18 copies that Deno had and is selling them on E-Bay. That's supposed to be the last there are. Get them while you can.

lewdo26

Verified Member
Troy said:
You might want to look for Upscale One Pocket by Jack Koehler. It's a fair starter book for the money (+/- $15 on Amazon)). Not up to the level of Robins' two books though.

Troy
I don't know, because I don't have possession of either, but aren't the instructional videos a better bet than "Upscale One Pocket?" I'm thinking Grady's stuff and Willie Jopling's. I heard that "Upscale One Pocket" is too basic. Heard the same thing about Allen Hopkins' video. I know Incardona also has an instructional but I haven't heard any reviews on that one. I never lose hope that one day... perhaps 10 years from now (hey, it may be worth the wait!), Eddie Robins' books will again be widely available. As things now stand, I respectfully refuse to pay over $200 for his books as a matter of principle. And I had two chances of getting 'em.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Grady has several educational one-pocket related tapes--all jam packed with useful information. I don't know of a better source. I have Willie's first tape and I consider it worthwhile but not in the same league as Grady's tapes.

I wish Grady would produce a book about advanced one-pocket strategies and concepts. The problem, I suppose, is that the market might be too small to make financial sense.

Also, Lewdo, don't be cheap with yourself on the Winning One-Pocket or More Shots, Moves, and Strategies books! You will enjoy them. Also, you'll be able to resell down the road and recoup what you paid and possibly more. (I paid $75 about 3 years ago.)

Martin

lewdo26 said:
I don't know, because I don't have possession of either, but aren't the instructional videos a better bet than "Upscale One Pocket?" I'm thinking Grady's stuff and Willie Jopling's. I heard that "Upscale One Pocket" is too basic. Heard the same thing about Allen Hopkins' video. I know Incardona also has an instructional but I haven't heard any reviews on that one. I never lose hope that one day... perhaps 10 years from now (hey, it may be worth the wait!), Eddie Robins' books will again be widely available. As things now stand, I respectfully refuse to pay over $200 for his books as a matter of principle. And I had two chances of getting 'em.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
The very best instructional materiels are the Accu-Stats matches. Whether you want to learn 1pocket, 9ball, 14.1, or 3C. You watch different players, listen to the commentary, the light bulb goes on, and you go, "ahhhh."

Lou Figueroa

jazznpool said:
Grady has several educational one-pocket related tapes--all jam packed with useful information. I don't know of a better source. I have Willie's first tape and I consider it worthwhile but not in the same league as Grady's tapes.

I wish Grady would produce a book about advanced one-pocket strategies and concepts. The problem, I suppose, is that the market might be too small to make financial sense.

Also, Lewdo, don't be cheap with yourself on the Winning One-Pocket or More Shots, Moves, and Strategies books! You will enjoy them. Also, you'll be able to resell down the road and recoup what you paid and possibly more. (I paid $75 about 3 years ago.)

Martin

lewdo26

Verified Member
jazznpool said:

Martin
Martin, I never thought of Eddie Robins' books as a financial investment! But you may have been the smartest between the two of us. However, I must say that $75 is still conscionable, while $200+ seems hardly so. I'm pretty sure having possession of either WOP or SMS would make me the happiest man on earth, though.
For the moment I think I'm going to invest on Grady's material, however. Also, I still have lots of one pocket accu-stats matches I want to purchase. Steve Cook, Jack Cooney, Jimmy Fusco, etc.
Maybe one day I'll wise up :eek: ... or better yet, I'll get a more viable opportunity! ;)
On another note, I do not necessarily agree that a one pocket instructional book wouldn't make financial sense. It would be a nitche market, for sure, but I think it could be profitable so long as you don't print a million copies. It's amazing to me that that nitche hasn't yet been filled given the growing popularity of one pocket and the tremedous expertise of some of our living legends --- Grady, the Beard, Eddie Robins himself, etc. But valuable secrets are hard to crack...

shoutout33

Verified Member
From
DC Metro Area
LIZARD SKIN!?!?!? He did a lizard skin book?!?!? Aw man, that thing's gotta' be worth at least $400-600...easy! Do you have...wait...don't tell me, I might be tempted to find out where you live. :p :rolleyes: j/k

Tom

Verified Member
Get Thee To The Loan Arranger

Get Thee To The Loan Arranger

Yeah, $230 for a book doesn't seem right.
But only because it's outside our experience.

Think of it this way...
I wouldn't pay $30 for a little piece of paper. Unless the little piece of paper was a one hundred dollar bill. Thirty dollars now makes sense.
Or....
Say you're lucky enough to win an eBay bid and buy the Robin's books for $230 each. A year later you see they're selling for $310 each (assuming they're available at all). My bet is you would not put your copies up for sale. It's about value, not cost.

Tom,
who was wildly lucky enough to get preview copies for reviews, and impressed enough to get a second set
P&B

RileysDad

Verified Member
Winning One Pocket IS Available...

Winning One Pocket IS Available...

Eddie Robins is selling copies one-at-a-time on Ebay lately.

They are going for $200 a copy or so -- so if you want it, go get it and don't grumble about the price. That is like wanting to buy gold, but refusing to pay $450 an ounce for it. $200 is simply the going price.

Weej

shoutout33

Verified Member
From
DC Metro Area
Riley, if it sounds like I'm griping, then my apologies. I know that the book is worth the amount they are asking for. As far as I'm concerned it's a collectors item. I do plan to get the book, I just know that I have to save up for it is all. ;) :D But if you think about it, a lizard skin book. Man, I'd buy another book just so I wouldn't have to open that one up! LOL! :D :D

lewdo26

Verified Member
What about the one with gold powder at the edge of each page. Oh, and the medieval insignia exquisitely etched on the lizard skin. And... I almost forgot, they are also selling the one written in an ivory and plume, ink-drop pencil from the time of Elizabeth I. You know, the one that may have been used by Shakespeare and now sits in the London museum.
Whoever's got THAT copy, God knows, will be a millionaire as soon as the stock market bumps up a little again. Those are the estimates given in all the finest antique houses, and the most specialized collecting agents. The appreciation must be about 400%, they say.
But, what the HELL does that got to do with one pocket?????????????????

Eddie Robin

Verified Member
Availability of Winning One-Pocket books

Availability of Winning One-Pocket books

For those of you wanting new Winning One-Pocket books [W1Ps] of the much improved second edition [published 1996] contact Deno Andrews [E-mail address: denoandrews@sbcglobal.net] He still has some left for $225 + $10 S&H. I have some very, very slightly damaged ones [close inspection required to see flaw or flaws in front or rear cover material] left that have never even been opened that have been going for around $200 on eBay.

FYI, there was originally supposed to be a single book on one-pocket but there was far too much for one book and so there was to be a set of three one-pocket books. I went out of business before publishing the third. It would have all been one large book had I been able to fit all three books into less than 500 pages.

Though W1P is valued above its brother book, Shots, Moves, & Strategies [SMS], it's only because W1P became scarce a year earlier and many figured it must be the better book because it costs more money. Actually, the SMS book is the far better value for advanced players and I can't understand why anyone would want only a part of the work. SMS takes off where W1P leaves off.

Hope this has helped, and thanks to all of you for appreciating my work. There's nothing I'd like more than to publish the many books I'd originally intended. I might get back into publishing books within another year or so.

Eddie Robin E-mail address: eddierobin@aol.com