Winning One-pocket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning One-pocket...

Ok, I've accepted that I will never see this book in person again. Even though I had the chance to get one even though I wasn't even thinking about taking one-pocket that seriously, I should have plunked down the money to get it. (sigh..) Oh well, now that one pocket seems to be taking off pretty good now, what's out their that can come close too or compare to this book? I mean, it's probably not likely, but you never know. Does anyone know if they've planned to make a reprint or something...anything? Can't blame a wannabe for trying can you?

There's no book that comes close to "Winning One-Pocket" except "More Moves, Shots, and Strategies" by same author Eddie Robin. These 2 books turn up on Ebay quite often. In fact, not long ago Eddie Robin was selling a few of each. I haven't looked to see if any are available lately. Both books are full of valuable one-pocket information and entertaining anecdotes that can be read and studied again and again.

Martin

Originally posted by shoutout33
    Ok, I've accepted that I will never see this book in person again. Even though I had the chance to get one even though I wasn't even thinking about taking one-pocket that seriously, I should have plunked down the money to get it. (sigh..) Oh well, now that one pocket seems to be taking off pretty good now, what's out their that can come close too or compare to this book? I mean, it's probably not likely, but you never know. Does anyone know if they've planned to make a reprint or something...anything? Can't blame a wannabe for trying can you?
    superiorcues.com

Comment

You might want to look for Upscale One Pocket by Jack Koehler. It's a fair starter book for the money (+/- $15 on Amazon)). Not up to the level of Robins' two books though.

Troy

Comment

Ok, I've accepted that I will never see this book in person again. Even though I had the chance to get one even though I wasn't even thinking about taking one-pocket that seriously, I should have plunked down the money to get it.
        There are still a good number of Robin's books available, including WOP. Check with Deno Andrews on RSB. He still had a number of them left a couple of months ago. I think they were running $235 at that time.

Doc

Comment

Check with Deno Andrews on RSB.
          Doc, sorry for my ignorance, but what is RSB?

Comment

rec.sport.billiard
            Its a newsgroup.

Comment

That's rec.sport.billiard. It's a newsgroup. If it's not included in your newsgroup offerings on your ISP, then go to google.com and type rec.sport.billiard in the search box. Follow the directions. When you get on the site, either start a new thread to Deno Andrews, or find his name, click on it, and PM him. He's a nice guy, and also trustworthy.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                There are still a good number of Robin's books available, including WOP. Check with Deno Andrews on RSB. He still had a number of them left a couple of months ago. I think they were running $235 at that time.

Doc
                I have just bought the Winning One-Pocket book for $220. on e-bay... they are still out there if you look hard enough.
                Mick
                http://www.shurtzcue.com/

Comment

Eddie Robin got 18 copies that Deno had and is selling them on E-Bay. That's supposed to be the last there are. Get them while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy
                    You might want to look for Upscale One Pocket by Jack Koehler. It's a fair starter book for the money (+/- $15 on Amazon)). Not up to the level of Robins' two books though.

Troy
                    I don't know, because I don't have possession of either, but aren't the instructional videos a better bet than "Upscale One Pocket?" I'm thinking Grady's stuff and Willie Jopling's. I heard that "Upscale One Pocket" is too basic. Heard the same thing about Allen Hopkins' video. I know Incardona also has an instructional but I haven't heard any reviews on that one. I never lose hope that one day... perhaps 10 years from now (hey, it may be worth the wait!), Eddie Robins' books will again be widely available. As things now stand, I respectfully refuse to pay over $200 for his books as a matter of principle. And I had two chances of getting 'em.

Comment

Grady has several educational one-pocket related tapes--all jam packed with useful information. I don't know of a better source. I have Willie's first tape and I consider it worthwhile but not in the same league as Grady's tapes.

I wish Grady would produce a book about advanced one-pocket strategies and concepts. The problem, I suppose, is that the market might be too small to make financial sense.

Also, Lewdo, don't be cheap with yourself on the Winning One-Pocket or More Shots, Moves, and Strategies books! You will enjoy them. Also, you'll be able to resell down the road and recoup what you paid and possibly more. (I paid $75 about 3 years ago.)

Martin

Originally posted by lewdo26
                      I don't know, because I don't have possession of either, but aren't the instructional videos a better bet than "Upscale One Pocket?" I'm thinking Grady's stuff and Willie Jopling's. I heard that "Upscale One Pocket" is too basic. Heard the same thing about Allen Hopkins' video. I know Incardona also has an instructional but I haven't heard any reviews on that one. I never lose hope that one day... perhaps 10 years from now (hey, it may be worth the wait!), Eddie Robins' books will again be widely available. As things now stand, I respectfully refuse to pay over $200 for his books as a matter of principle. And I had two chances of getting 'em.
                      superiorcues.com

Comment

The very best instructional materiels are the Accu-Stats matches. Whether you want to learn 1pocket, 9ball, 14.1, or 3C. You watch different players, listen to the commentary, the light bulb goes on, and you go, "ahhhh."

Lou Figueroa

Originally posted by jazznpool
                        Grady has several educational one-pocket related tapes--all jam packed with useful information. I don't know of a better source. I have Willie's first tape and I consider it worthwhile but not in the same league as Grady's tapes.

I wish Grady would produce a book about advanced one-pocket strategies and concepts. The problem, I suppose, is that the market might be too small to make financial sense.

Also, Lewdo, don't be cheap with yourself on the Winning One-Pocket or More Shots, Moves, and Strategies books! You will enjoy them. Also, you'll be able to resell down the road and recoup what you paid and possibly more. (I paid $75 about 3 years ago.)

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by jazznpool

Martin
                          Martin, I never thought of Eddie Robins' books as a financial investment! But you may have been the smartest between the two of us. However, I must say that $75 is still conscionable, while $200+ seems hardly so. I'm pretty sure having possession of either WOP or SMS would make me the happiest man on earth, though.
                          For the moment I think I'm going to invest on Grady's material, however. Also, I still have lots of one pocket accu-stats matches I want to purchase. Steve Cook, Jack Cooney, Jimmy Fusco, etc.
                          Maybe one day I'll wise up ... or better yet, I'll get a more viable opportunity!
                          On another note, I do not necessarily agree that a one pocket instructional book wouldn't make financial sense. It would be a nitche market, for sure, but I think it could be profitable so long as you don't print a million copies. It's amazing to me that that nitche hasn't yet been filled given the growing popularity of one pocket and the tremedous expertise of some of our living legends --- Grady, the Beard, Eddie Robins himself, etc. But valuable secrets are hard to crack...

Comment

What do you guys think the lizard skin limited edition W1P and SMS books are worth?

Comment

LIZARD SKIN!?!?!? He did a lizard skin book?!?!? Aw man, that thing's gotta' be worth at least $400-600...easy! Do you have...wait...don't tell me, I might be tempted to find out where you live. j/k

Comment

Working...
                              X