A Sports Psychologist or a good Pharmacist?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
In my last two tournaments I played like a beginner. When I practice I hit the balls about 10 times better than I have lately when I've been in action (which is only 4 tournaments a year with no other competition within 50 miles of me.)

Anyone who knew my game would have to have thought I was dumping, but as RA used to say, "Don't you know that dumpin' and doggin' it look the same"?

At DCC I got a relatively favorable draw in the first round -- a guy that would definitely handle me in 9-ball but whose 1P experience is obviously limited -- and lost 3-0, getting to 7 balls in only one of the games.

If it's not stroke -- it's not -- and it's not eyesight -- it's not -- what's left? Uh, I'm afraid I know -- although it's hard to admit -- and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.

::paging Doctor Headright

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Hard to say since you don't mention the manner in which you lost, but in my territory, we focus on "table management," which involves attitude, nerve, grit, and positive thinking. It doesn't always see you in the winner's circle, but there are very large intangible forces at work in a pool match, especially one pocket.

blindlemon

Verified Member
This will sound silly but ' always dance with the girl that you brought to the dance ' . Often times we will try to play a different game against a tough opponent or in some types of competition. Perhaps play tighter or try to get more cueball control then we're capable of. In other words don't try to hard just play your game. Play the game that got you there. Do what you do. It may not be enough that time to win, but it's all you've got. Don't try to change partners at the dance, you'll go home alone everytime. :)

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
This will sound silly but ' always dance with the girl that you brought to the dance ' . Often times we will try to play a different game against a tough opponent or in some types of competition. Perhaps play tighter or try to get more cueball control then we're capable of. In other words don't try to hard just play your game. Play the game that got you there. Do what you do. It may not be enough that time to win, but it's all you've got. Don't try to change partners at the dance, you'll go home alone everytime. :)

"Dance with who brung ya'" is an old Southern phrase meaning, essentially, stick to your guns and don't change your playing. Funny, I told myself that a few times when I was faced with a 50/50 situation between a ho-hum safety and a slightly risky bank.

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
I've had a few good moments in tournaments, but for the most part I have a horrible record. I hate playing tournaments...sitting/standing around, smoke (back in the day), but most of all the finality of the moment I guess. I just never embraced everything that came with it.

Luckily I grew up in Houston where there was no shortage of gambling or tournaments, so people could take their pick.

Sorry no advice here, just saying I know what you mean.

P.S. No such thing as a pool doctor, you either have it or you don't. I'm inclined to think that if you believe you have it, you will overcome whatever is happening with some stick-to-it-iveness. If that doesn't work I wouldn't judge if you went to the pharmacist.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I will say this, John. There is a turning point. If you stay at it and get comfortable, you will hit that point where you embrace the competition and look forward to knocking someone off.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I will say this, John. There is a turning point. If you stay at it and get comfortable, you will hit that point where you embrace the competition and look forward to knocking someone off.

My next move will be an attempt at "get comfortable." I've decided to go a day early to my next tournament to play on the tables which are GCs and play differently than my own century-old Schmidt.

I'm also going to try to adopt a tournament attitude when I practice at home. Sometimes I realize I'm just slapping balls around without the proper level of concentration.

Time will tell, but I ain't givin' this up. Grrrrrrr!

I appreciate your input.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
No such thing as a pool doctor, you either have it or you don't. I'm inclined to think that if you believe you have it, you will overcome whatever is happening with some stick-to-it-iveness..
Maybe "believing you have it" can be helped with a sports psychologist. In a conversation with Bobby Hunter not too long ago he told me he had seen a sports psych years ago when he felt like he wasn't realizing his full potential and saw an immediate improvement.

Besides believing you can win, I think another common psychological issue is (subconsciously) believing you don't "deserve" to win or maybe even to compete at this level. A sports psych might help with that too.

There is such a thing as a pool doctor.

But I'm thinking you might have the same malady I do: lackacompetitionitis. If you mostly practice alone, just having somebody else around the table can be a big distraction.

pj
chgo

Edit: P.S. I'm talking to John when I say "you might have the same malady I do", not you, Senor.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
believing you don't "deserve" to win or maybe even to compete at this level.
pj
chgo

In my case it's not failing to feel deserving, but it is true that I don't expect much success because of the average quality of the opposition. IOW, I sometimes find myself hoping for a good draw more than I'm hoping to play my best.

You've given me an idea. I going to try to relish the opportunity to beat a good player, rather than hoping to draw someone that gives me a better chance to advance.

lackacompetitionitis. If you mostly practice alone

Bingo!

thanks

(How was your trip West?)

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
In my last two tournaments I played like a beginner. When I practice I hit the balls about 10 times better than I have lately when I've been in action (which is only 4 tournaments a year with no other competition within 50 miles of me.)

Anyone who knew my game would have to have thought I was dumping, but as RA used to say, "Don't you know that dumpin' and doggin' it look the same"?

At DCC I got a relatively favorable draw in the first round -- a guy that would definitely handle me in 9-ball but whose 1P experience is obviously limited -- and lost 3-0, getting to 7 balls in only one of the games.

If it's not stroke -- it's not -- and it's not eyesight -- it's not -- what's left? Uh, I'm afraid I know -- although it's hard to admit -- and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.

i havent read this book' (just started it)
"pleasures in small motions"
but it gets alot of recommendations at azb (fwiw)
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Small-Motions-Mastering-Billiards/dp/1585745391[/ame]

treeMan

Verified Member
.... when I've been in action (which is only 4 tournaments a year with no other competition within 50 miles of me.)

Hey John,

I think there is another challenge you face: playing well competitively requires practice. The mental state of playing a competitive match requires practice. So if you don't compete for long stretches, even though you are practicing the physical skills of the game, you get rusty on the mental skills of competing, facing pressure, etc..

Sorry, this point is not of much help if you can't match up more often. For me, I don't get to play a whole lot, so both my physical skills and my mental/competitive are out of whack :frus.

tree

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I have no experience playing tournaments.
I have played a lot of strangers.

As to playing strangers, It's important to play your speed. Don't let who they are or what the book on them is, change your game. Play the right shot for you in every situation.
It's best to play the table and forget about the hype, info, whatever.

When gambling this is easy to say and hard to do, although I was pretty good at it. When you're able to play your speed you'll never get in trouble.
If you can't, it's easy to lose more and keep trying, because you know you can do better.
Rod.
P.S. A guy came once and asked me if I knew who I was playing. "I told him go ask the other guy if he knew who he was playing"
P.P.S. Good Luck !

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hey John,

I think there is another challenge you face: playing well competitively requires practice.

tree

I know you're right. Unfortunately, I don't know how I can do anything about it.

Well, now that I think about it, playing in a few 9-ball tournaments -- which are also within driving range for me -- addresses that problem even though it's not the game I'd prefer to play. That might help. I'll put it on my agenda.

Thanks.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
P.S. A guy came once and asked me if I knew who I was playing. "I told him go ask the other guy if he knew who he was playing"

LOL. I love it!

I wasn't clear, Rod, but my problem is execution... never feeling comfortable at the table, losing concentration right before and during the stroke, re-gripping, etc. I don't think shot selection has much to do with it, even though when I'm playing well I often try to do too much with a shot. That's not my problem when I'm executing poorly.

Thanks for the thoughts.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I know exactly what you're talking about and IMO it is simply that some players, because of the way they set up, are susceptible to wild swings in performance.

It's not in your head or attitude, it's simply that you are doing some minute thing differently, on some days or in certain circumstances, that is having a significant impact on your performance. Often times, because we're attempting to be more careful in a high pressure situation, we slow things down and as a result unconsciously alter our final setup. Other guys don't have this problem and stay relatively constant. But some of us have to watch our P's and Q's.

Lou Figueroa