May 21-24 BIG One Pocket Tournament Buffalo's Billiards New Orleans, La

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just got home from playing the qualifier in New Orleans (Metairie). There were several 1p.o guys in attendance: LSJohn, JTOMpilot, GulfportDoc, and of course BRLongArm.

I warmed up with BRLongArm, and I was stroking them pretty well. We eventually knocked off, and I sat down to wait for the notoriously late starts in LA pool. I woofed down a big sandwich, thinking I'd have plenty of time to digest it.

I miscalculated. I was soon called for my match, and it was with JTOMpilot. He plays a real good game, but unfortunately I was completely brain dead. I presume it was because of being so full. Anyway, Jim didn't make any mistakes, and beat me 3-zip. I wasn't in the first two games at all. Did a little better in the 3rd, but Jim simply played better.

Then Jim turned around and got mashed by a local: Tre Baker. Tre is a very good shooter, who eventually beat Richie Richeson to get into the final with whoever won between Jamie Farrell (poolroom owner in Kenner) and Mike Black (poolroom owner in Baton Rouge). I left before that game took place. I'm sure Joe will fill us in tomorrow.

I believe there were only 16 players, possibly due to the single elim. at $150. Notables were Ronnie Wiseman, Richie Richeson, Cliff Joyner, Jamie Farrell and Mike Black.

Richeson seemed to be playing the best of everyone. But in his game with Tre, he had a pretty simple straight in for the win, but he hit it too hard. The CB caromed back and left Tre a shot. Tre ran 4 and out for the win.

As I was leaving, Joe was putting Richie Rich into action with Little D.

Buff is doing a great job with this whole event. The eight tables they're to use in two weeks for the main event will be freshly recovered. He's moving some tables out of the way for a large seating area. Good job, Buff; and thanks to Joe Long for getting this thing kicked off right!

~Doc

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Tre Baker won the qualifier Alex P or Corey D will buy Tre's spot. We will know for sure who soon.It would be great to see Alex in this event :)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
May 21-24 BIG One Pocket Tournament Buffalo's Billiards New Orleans, La

Thanks for the report Doc. Yeah, Jim plays very well.

Bigtruck

Verified Member
The Lion Shall Play

The Lion Shall Play

Updated Players list for main event,

Corey Deuel alt (1)
Alex Pagulayan paid
Chip Compton *paid
Joey Gray *paid
Ike Runnels *paid
Chris Bartram *paid
Jason Brown *paid
Mika Immonen - *paid
Danny Smith *paid
Scott Frost *paid
Justin Hall *paid
Richie Richeson *paid
Joshua Roberts *paid
Justin Bergman *paid
Jeremy Jones *paid
Tony Chohan *paid
Cliff Joyner *paid

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I intended to play... uh, donate... but miscalculated my travel time by over an hour and a half, so I just used the $150 to reserve a VIP seat for the Big Event, even though it embarrasses me to be referred to as VIP in any context, but alas, it happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Not only did Art and JTom have the misfortune of drawing each other in the first round, JTom drew the eventual winner in the second. Jim played well when he got a chance, which wasn't often, and moved very well, but his opponent put him in the trick-bag with several excellent shtos, and worse yet, each of the three mistake that I saw Tre (tray) make ended with a good roll, and one of 'em was brutal!

Like me, Joe didn't play. He kept busy helping things run smoothly, handling the calcutta, and serving as chairman of the action committee: "Make a line and I'll pick a side" (up to and including monkey-****-a-football) :D

For those of you who haven't met Joe, he's a handsome 38-year-old with a very athletic build... like me. In fact we're almost twins. If I were 15 years younger, 3 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, you wouldn't be able to tell us apart.:p

It was a real pleasure to meet Joe, JTom and Gulfport. Just as the other 1p.org guys I've met in person and online, you won't find a nicer bunch of degenerate gamblers anywhere.:heh

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It was great seeing and meeting the one pocket.org guys. Hey Ghost, there was one other person wearing one of your shirts.

After I got the beat down in the tournament, I played Jason from Gulfport till almost 2am. I had him stuck three games but let him get away. I really need to learn stop giving people their money back:frus

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Like me, Joe didn't play. He kept busy helping things run smoothly, handling the calcutta, and serving as chairman of the action committee: "Make a line and I'll pick a side" (up to and including monkey-****-a-football) :D

For those of you who haven't met Joe, he's a handsome 38-year-old with a very athletic build... like me. In fact we're almost twins. If I were 15 years younger, 3 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, you wouldn't be able to tell us apart.:p

It was a real pleasure to meet Joe, JTom and Gulfport. Just as the other 1p.org guys I've met in person and online, you won't find a nicer bunch of degenerate gamblers anywhere.:heh
John, you broke me up with that one! Athletic build!:D If he doesn't buy you a beer for that one, I WILL.

A few comments about the room: New Orleans is a place like no other in the U.S., and it's certainly reflected in the pool rooms. Everything is super laid back, and it's all geared towards good times and gambling. But the action tables have deteriorated because no one really cares. They just want action! So the cloths really need replacing, which will be accomplished prior to the big event.

I think the addition of Erica as tournament helper and facility manageress is having good effect on the joint. The walls are being painted, the ceiling and air filtration systems are being refurbished, and the place is actually starting to be cleaned! Erica fits right into the N.O. lifestyle.

It's one of the few places left where the shooter is allowed to get up on all fours onto the table to shoot a shot that would require a bridge. There are only a couple of bridges in the whole room! It broke me up to see Richie Rich climb full up on the table repeatedly to make shots. I wish I'd brought a camera! I've seen 250 lb. guys get on all fours on the table surface to make shots.:eek:

To give you the idea of the spirit of the place. There is a sign on the wall by the front tables: "No gambling cheap on the front tables". In other words, if you have a nitty game, take it to the back room.:D Only in Nawlins!

~Doc

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Thanks to Doc, John and JTom for supporting the qualifier. A local shortstop named Tre Baker upset Richie to take the title, quickly parlaying his win into a couple thousand profit and the applause of the rail as he sold his golden ticket to Alex Pagulayan, who now becomes one of the favorites for the May 21st event.

As Doc said, Buffalos is a throwback pool hall and action is the name of the game. Although casual play is tolerated, the gamblers have the run of the place and you can tell after only a few minutes observation. The owner is sprucing the place up, and has made arrangements for catering as well. Expect the traditional Louisiana favorites to be served at the event, like Red beans and crawfish etoufee.

See you there!

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Ike Runnels has withdrawn from the event. We have notified Corey and expect a deposit soon.

Ray

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
PoolActionTV would like to welcome Corey Deuel to the field at Buffalo's Billiards Professional One Pocket Event.

Scott Rabon will return on lead commentary. Joining Scott will be a variety of talent from the area as well Hall of Famer, Nick Varner and Legendary pool expert, Billy Incardona.

Corey Deuel *paid
Alex Pagulayan paid
Chip Compton *paid
Joey Gray *paid
Chris Bartram *paid
Jason Brown *paid
Mika Immonen - *paid
Danny Smith *paid
Scott Frost *paid
Justin Hall *paid
Richie Richeson *paid
Joshua Roberts *paid
Justin Bergman *paid
Jeremy Jones *paid
Tony Chohan *paid
Cliff Joyner *paid

buffalos banner.jpg

With all these champions at one place good chance we might see some action
how great would it be to see Alex Pagulayan vs Scott Frost play for the cash

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Verified Member
With all these champions at one place good chance we might see some action
how great would it be to see Alex Pagulayan vs Scott Frost play for the cash

We won't have time for something like that at this event but it does sound good!

Ray

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Ray, in New Orleans, there's ALWAYS time for something like that....;)

Plus, there's all day Thursday and Friday, and all night Thurs.-Sunday. You can be sure that some of the guys will come early that week, and will linger several days afterwards. So keep your cameras rolling.:cool:

See you there.

~Doc

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Ray, in New Orleans, there's ALWAYS time for something like that....;)

Plus, there's all day Thursday and Friday, and all night Thurs.-Sunday. You can be sure that some of the guys will come early that week, and will linger several days afterwards. So keep your cameras rolling.:cool:

See you there.

~Doc
I like the way you think sir lol
All these champions in one place you cant tell me they want get in action somebody will play plus all the normal action at Buffs Action central

Bigtruck

Verified Member
I like the way you think sir lol
All these champions in one place you cant tell me they want get in action somebody will play plus all the normal action at Buffs Action central

A match like Scott vs Alex could take 2 or 3 days to complete. I have to be in Houston on Wednesday to setup.

Before won't work because it's too close

Ray

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
A match like Scott vs Alex could take 2 or 3 days to complete. I have to be in Houston on Wednesday to setup.

Ray

Well maybe not Alex and Scott but some kind of action i bet
if you dont have time to cover it you can give updates for us :)

Big Tyme classic starting on the 28th in Houston has banks and 1 pocket events :D
PoolActionTV Rocks !!

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Ray
I would like to watch the boys play in Louisiana, from the comfort of my home, is this going to be possible via live stream or pay-per-view? If so, will someone tell me how to do it?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
tall jeff...

just click on the link terry provided:
http://www.poolactiontv.com/

then just click on whatever pass you want to purchase:
View attachment 12271

:)[/QUOTE

I must be the dumbest computer user in history, I did what you instructed, it prompted me to join, I did, then it took me to a page that read (1) refresh, (2) purchase history, and (3) log out
When I hit the back arrow I'm at the selection page again and I select the pay-per- view option and I'm taken back to the register, sign up page, lol, how do I step off this merry-go-round, I'm getting dizzy!