Cues we use + specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fast Lenny View Post
    That would be awesome and I really appreciate the compliments and the offer. I know the plan was ivory ferrules, maybe he can do one ferrule in ivory and the other shaft with a micarta ferrule. I am excited for this cue, always wanted a gambler themed cue and I also believe it will be the first that Ken has made.
    done. just sent qball text hold on to westinghouse ferrule for fastlenny....

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
      far out. this is really cool. small world the internet has created for like minds.

hope we have the opportunity to meet and chat sometime phil. (like minds kind of thing....)

dustin

(i briefly made the acquaintance of a man last weekend who owns 60 gina cues . yes, no mis-print, six-zero - as in sixty....)
      Hi Dustin,
      Our power is out from a storm. Trying to post this from my cell I pad. You have a great cue for which I attest. Would love to meet sometime, realize I grew up in St Louis, moved when I was about 29.
      All the best
      Phil

Comment

My Equipment

For years I played with a 19 0z Frank Paradise with a 28.5" butt and a 29,5" 13 mm Rubino shaft , 58" total, with moor M tip. The cue was unusual IMO because for its day and even now, the butt is thin. The white joint collar discolored so I had Pete Tascarella make a new shaft(in picture) and it is even better.

However, I like cues and switch around. My excuse is never the cue as I can adapt. It is a breakdown of fundamentals. Also pictured is a Barry Szamboti Hoppe and a new Tascarella I am trying to break in.

Last week, Mark Gregory finished redoing my Centennial, so i threw in a picture. New superspeed rubber, Simonis 860hr, pockers around 4.5, maybe a hair more.

Anyone coming to North East Florida has an open invitation.

Phil
        Attached Files
        Last edited by phil dade; 07-07-2015, 07:13 AM. Reason: Sorry pictures are sideways?

Comment

redux...

I look through the thread archives every so often...thought the newer members might enjoy viewing this thread - and possibly adding to it.

- Ghost

P.S. And I think reviving certain threads from the archives is an excellent way of adding good content to the current site activity.
          Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM.
          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Bruce I think this is a good idea. I am still playing with a Mezz with x700 shaft and a Zan medium tip.

I did try the Predator Revo for 4 weeks. I thought the hit was great but in the end I did not have the confidence with the cue that I do with the Mezz.

Ben

Comment

I play with a Pat Diveney Sneaky.
              It weighs 17.2.
              I have a 13mm tip with the kamui clear.
              I ordered and have since received a 12.5mm shaft from Diveney.
              I haven't made the switch over yet. i would like to do that soon, but every time I play I am in action.

Comment

i have a couple high end cues that i need for the subtleties of one pocket--they weigh 19 oz or so, and i prefer kamui super soft clear on them...... sometimes ill just shoot with a house cue......one time i played a guy with a broomstick--damn thing wouldnt hold chalk for anything, but it sure would clean up the place.......

Comment

As I mentioned once before, I won my first cue from a guy they called "Greasy" in Key West back in '66. It was a Frank Paradise and I was too ignorant at the time to appreciate it. Left it behind the counter of old man Perra's pool room when I rode my thumb out of Key West to Miami and joined the Army.

I have two cues now that I use. One is a circa 1986 ebony Meucci "merry widow" (20oz) with the finish removed from the original plain black wrap and rewrapped with white/black spot linen. The original shaft is 12.5mm with a Water Buffalo tip on it now. Leonard Bloodworth made a second shaft for it with a standard pro taper, also 12.5mm, that has an Elk Master "milk dud" on it now. These days it gets used with the original shaft on the rare occasions I play 9 ball or 8 ball. Hell of a break stick with a ton of action. As someone mentioned re. their Meucci, I draw better with it than any other stick I've used.

The second cue is the one I use most, while attempting to play 14.1 and one pocket. It's a Schon STL9 (ebony with ivory inlays, black/white spot linen, 20.5oz) bought new in 2009 for my second comeback, with two shafts. The one I play with the vast majority of the time is 31", 12.65mm with a Kamui Black SS tip. The other is standard length (29") also 12.65mm.

Just bought one of my grandsons a Schmelke Sneaky Pete. He may have a hard time getting it away from me.
                  Last edited by Cary; 08-07-2017, 08:07 PM.
                  "If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown

Comment

I use Carom cues

For all games
                    As I play Carom the most

I have 4 custom kilbys, plan on a few more

Longest is 57 inch, shortest 54
                    Weights I have 2 that are my best player's at 16 ounces
                    Heaviest is 18

11.5 and 12mm is what I have on them

All forward balanced
                    All European aka conical taper

But my best player by far is some old ugly Mali butt, with a ron kilby Carom shaft made to fit a pool cue
                    12mm

It's 56.5 inches long, 16.5 ounces and the balance and weight of the cue make it my perfect player of any cue ever owned

Moori soft tips for small games Carom play
                    Medium Hercules for 3c,14.1 and 1pkt

For me it's about the weight and balance, I like em light and forward balanced
                    Last edited by Texas Carom Club; 08-07-2017, 08:34 PM.
                    3 cushion has killed carom

Comment

Cues we use + specs

I play with a Lucasi ebony and imitation bone, which was a college graduation gift from my wife. I've played with it ever since. I've changed the wrap a couple times, and switched to a 314-2 shaft a few years back. For the last couple years I added a joint extension from balance rite, this year I switched to a joint extension that I picked up at the Expo made by Doug Carter, Shawn Putnam put a finish on it for me, since Doug just used a wood polish.

I'm not sure that I want to switch back to a regular shaft after getting used to the 314-2. When I finally decide to hang this cue up (literally) I might have to decide on a ringwork I like and try to stick with it so I can buy a partial shaft from predator and put my ringwork on it for when I make myself my next (several) playing cues. It shouldn't be too hard to decide on ONE ringwork, right? (Lol). I've always liked ebony and maple, so I think I'm almost at a decision...life sure is tough sometimes, eh?

(If I can't stick to one ringwork for myself that would mean I'd have to buy a new 314-2 shaft each time...or keep cutting the ringwork off and redoing it, which would mean refinishing as well...ugh)

Comment

1-Schon, 2-4 Chester Krick, 5-Adam, 6-Viking, 7-cuetec signed, 8-jump, 9-Predator FS uniloc, 10-james davis converted cuemaster98, 11-Gilbert convo Prather, 12-Helms 86-6 convo Jerry R, 13-Helm 86-6, 14-Prather fs deroo ext., 15-Prather fs, 16-Steve Klein Schmelke convo

15 is the cue I am playing with now
                        Prather FS ylw/gry/ylw veneers
                        Bacote into Ebony
                        wood to wood 3/8-11
                        ob1 and 2 also been using the Steve Klein shaft from #16
                        22.8 oz
                        "I'm gettin worse everyday and right now
                        I'm playing like it's next year"

Comment

Originally posted by JeaLouS44 View Post

1-Schon, 2-4 Chester Krick, 5-Adam, 6-Viking, 7-cuetec signed, 8-jump, 9-Predator FS uniloc, 10-james davis converted cuemaster98, 11-Gilbert convo Prather, 12-Helms 86-6 convo Jerry R, 13-Helm 86-6, 14-Prather fs deroo ext., 15-Prather fs, 16-Steve Klein Schmelke convo

15 is the cue I am playing with now
                          Prather FS ylw/gry/ylw veneers
                          Bacote into Ebony
                          wood to wood 3/8-11
                          ob1 and 2 also been using the Steve Klein shaft from #16
                          22.8 oz
                          Nice collection John!

Comment

Thanks!! go to my pic album to see the other 2/3rds

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/album.php?albumid=18
                            "I'm gettin worse everyday and right now
                            I'm playing like it's next year"

Comment

Good thread, thanks Ghost.

Several years ago I began a cue journey where I wanted to try as many cues as I could to see (feel?) what all the fuss was about. My early pool career in the 80's was 100% Meucci cues and I had no complaints about them. But I wanted a change so I sold all my old Meucci's and never looked back.

During my journey I purchased and resold many cues, trying them out for 1-3 months. I bought and tried Gilbert, Mottey, Scruggs, Rauenzahn, Predator, Lambros, Schon, Harris, Kikel, Pierce, Orlandi, Joss, Jacoby, Lucasi, Frey, Lomax, and a few less known cue makers that sell locally. In the end the only cue maker that stood out for a truly unique hit was Lambros. I've tried 3 different ones, all 3 with different joints, and I loved them all. The one I have now has the ultimate joint.

19.25 oz with all 3 shafts. 12.70 mm shaft size. Zan medium tips. Ivory inlays, elforyn joint.

Comment

Originally posted by phil dade View Post
                                For years I played with a 19 0z Frank Paradise with a 28.5" butt and a 29,5" 13 mm Rubino shaft , 58" total, with moor M tip. The cue was unusual IMO because for its day and even now, the butt is thin. The white joint collar discolored so I had Pete Tascarella make a new shaft(in picture) and it is even better.

However, I like cues and switch around. My excuse is never the cue as I can adapt. It is a breakdown of fundamentals. Also pictured is a Barry Szamboti Hoppe and a new Tascarella I am trying to break in.

Last week, Mark Gregory finished redoing my Centennial, so i threw in a picture. New superspeed rubber, Simonis 860hr, pockers around 4.5, maybe a hair more.

Anyone coming to North East Florida has an open invitation.

Phil
                                Phil, I like that Paradise cue - since the late 60's I've always liked them...

Beautiful Centennial also - if I didn't live 1,200 miles away, I'd invite myself over to play some on it...

- Ghost
                                jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Working...
                                X