Scott Frost vs Alex Pagulayan Fight Night

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Say's that right on the flyer Doc. :D

Ray
heh, heh. If you and I put up $50 apiece to play a match, we're playing for $50; not $100. I understand that $50,000 sounds more fabulous than does $25,000.;) This is a trend that promoters have used for the past few years. Perhaps in some locales, the event must be advertized as a "tournament" in order to be legal. Therefore there's a "prize fund", which is no more than two players putting up their respective wagers.

As far as the listing, I agree that Frost should receive top billing. I'm sure that in Canada or the Philippines Alex would get top billing.

And to make both names the same font size, a hyphen would have to be used on Alex's name. It looks fine to me...:cool:

~Doc

Bigtruck

Verified Member
heh, heh. If you and I put up $50 apiece to play a match, we're playing for $50; not $100. I understand that $50,000 sounds more fabulous than does $25,000.;) This is a trend that promoters have used for the past few years. Perhaps in some locales, the event must be advertized as a "tournament" in order to be legal. Therefore there's a "prize fund", which is no more than two players putting up their respective wagers.

As far as the listing, I agree that Frost should receive top billing. I'm sure that in Canada or the Philippines Alex would get top billing.

And to make both names the same font size, a hyphen would have to be used on Alex's name. It looks fine to me...:cool:

~Doc

Doc,

This a a 2 man tournament. It is no different than ones with 16 or 128. All entry fees plus any added (which we didn't list) are the prize fund. Entry fee is $25,000 with a $50,000 prize fund.

If a player wins $35,000 at White Diamonds, they don't go around telling everyone they won $34,960. :D

Ray

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

~Doc
Glad you cleared that up, whenever in the United States the American player should get top billing when playing against a foreigner, does that go for Reyes as well?

Font size??? I wonder if Mizerak was alive what he would have to say if he was playing Scott Kitto straight pool and the poster read.

Or if Kitto was playing VanBoening

KITTO
versus
MIZERAK

Kitto
versus
VANBOENING

jk,jk,jk, Ray. Thanks for helping make this happen you're doing a great job with what you do.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You guys are a riot! If I'm playing someone for $50 a game, do people turn around and say, "Hey, Doc and X are playing for $100 a game"? Or, "Doc and X are playing $100 tournaments"?:D

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
My problem with the poster is that this is the year 2015 not 2011 or 2012, in 2011 and 2012 Frost was the best one pocket player in the world imo, in the year 2015 Pagulayan is the best one pocket player in the world and is the current Derby City One Pocket champion shouldn't he have top billing? And his name should be in at least the same font size.:sorry Think about it.

Dr. Bill

I am in total agreement with you here Dr Bill. Billing is just as important as money in my business. It gets you more credentials and puts you into position in future negotiations. Producers in future competitive matches have to give you that recognition. If he feels you dont expect certain conditions he will overlook certain other requirements.
It is too elaborate to explain here but it is why pros have agents. They protect the individual who is totally devoted to the skill or the art of what they are doing and not to the business end of it. You can bet Pacquiao would not take second billing to Mayweather. If I was Alex's manager I would drop out of the competition until the Billing on the poster was corrected.

Also about betting and prize money. It is my position that once you put up the money it is gone. It is in the pot or the prize fund. So consequently you are playing for the total sum. If you want to talk about Net vs Gross thats another thing. Everyone has to pay taxes so you dont say your annual income is 20% less after the governments rake.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You guys are a riot! If I'm playing someone for $50 a game, do people turn around and say, "Hey, Doc and X are playing for $100 a game"? Or, "Doc and X are playing $100 tournaments"?:D

~Doc

Doc, why do you continually "nit pick" on things that are not that important, like.. prize fund break downs..and ..font size.. we're in the United States Ray can do what he wants to do, dammit. You're always starting shit, eat a Snickers.:)

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
By listing Scott 2nd it infers that he is the champion meanwhile Alex robbed him last time they played... Im just messing with you:D:D:lol

keoneyo

Verified Member
A funny story about Ad Billing. When Newman and McQueen agreed to do Towering Inferno together it took months to get the deal together. The problem was billing. Whos name would come first. Newman had all the quality products and had been around longer but McQueen was very popular with the fans.

Neither of them would do it unless he got the top billing. You know there was a lot of money to be made if they could get two of them together.
Finally some brilliant guy came up with the idea that both names would appear on the screen together. The guy second from the left name would go slightly higher than the one on the first from the left.
The stars both agreed to this concept and finally to everyones satisfaction it got done and everyone made a ton of money. But it was name placement that kept the project on hold.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Glad you cleared that up, whenever in the United States the American player should get top billing when playing against a foreigner, does that go for Reyes as well?
Frost should certainly be featured above Reyes in a gambling match. Frost has beat him most of the time, just as he has Alex. Or are you saying that, while it's understandable that other countries are perfectly free to favor their own players on a poster, we shouldn't do it here because Americans ought not to have any national pride?
Font size??? I wonder if Mizerak was alive what he would have to say if he was playing Scott Kitto straight pool and the poster read.
KITTO versus MIZERAK
Or if Kitto was playing VanBoening
Kitto versus VANBOENING ... Dr. Bill
Who is Scott Kitto? We're discussing two internationally known players here.

Do you not think Appleton would be listed above Frost in an advertised gambling match in England? How about Kiamco over Bergman in the Philippines? Or Hohmann over Hall in Germany?

Has Frost done something to offend you?:D

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Doc,

If a player wins $35,000 at White Diamonds, they don't go around telling everyone they won $34,960. :D

Ray

Just so Doc won't feel like the Lone Stranger:

The winner of this one won't go around saying he won $50,000 either. :)

And if I play someone for $20 a game, I won't tell people we played for $40.

I don't think it's a big deal, but Doc is right. It's a hype device, and hype devices are something I tend not to like. Each to his own.

OTOH, It's a good poster, you do a great job and we appreciate you. My comment here is not in the way of criticism, but of suggestion (and I didn't mind the original fonts... as I said, each to his own. :p )

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I think this is all getting blown way out of proportion. Ray is probably going WTF? lol One things for sure Ray, i bet there's not a single person responding who doesn't appreciate the effort. So take it in stride and carry on.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I am in total agreement with you here Dr Bill. Billing is just as important as money in my business. It gets you more credentials and puts you into position in future negotiations. Producers in future competitive matches have to give you that recognition. If he feels you dont expect certain conditions he will overlook certain other requirements.
It is too elaborate to explain here but it is why pros have agents. They protect the individual who is totally devoted to the skill or the art of what they are doing and not to the business end of it. You can bet Pacquiao would not take second billing to Mayweather. If I was Alex's manager I would drop out of the competition until the Billing on the poster was corrected.

Also about betting and prize money. It is my position that once you put up the money it is gone. It is in the pot or the prize fund. So consequently you are playing for the total sum. If you want to talk about Net vs Gross thats another thing. Everyone has to pay taxes so you dont say your annual income is 20% less after the governments rake.

Sooo.. along this same line of thinking, if each player is putting in $25,000 does the winner tell the IRS he won $50,000?:confused:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think this is all getting blown way out of proportion. Ray is probably going WTF? lol One things for sure Ray, i bet there's not a single person responding who doesn't appreciate the effort. So take it in stride and carry on.

You're right, John, but sometimes it's either nipick the small shit or say nothing, and some of us love to say something. :eek:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I think youre confusing your situation with a promoted event.
But Im not here to argue with friends. Your view is respected.
There is so many anecdotes you can bring up that can refute any thinking of profit and money.

For a promoted event it is what sells tickets. If you take that into the equation you wouldnt be so antagonistic towards a promoter saying the best of what is obvious.
And by the way because it is an event that sells tickets I do believe that Efrens name should come before any others. Because it is he that puts people in the seats more than any other in my estimation. I go miles to see Efren in one pocket and not so when it comes to most others.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Sooo.. along this same line of thinking, if each player is putting in $25,000 does the winner tell the IRS he won $50,000?:confused:

Like any investor he says he made $50K and deducts $25K for his investment cost. Any other way and the IRS comes to your door.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frost should certainly be featured above Reyes in a gambling match. Frost has beat him most of the time, just as he has Alex. Or are you saying that, while it's understandable that other countries are perfectly free to favor their own players on a poster, we shouldn't do it here because Americans ought not to have any national pride?

Who is Scott Kitto? We're discussing two internationally known players here.

Do you not think Appleton would be listed above Frost in an advertised gambling match in England? How about Kiamco over Bergman in the Philippines? Or Hohmann over Hall in Germany?

Has Frost done something to offend you?:D

~Doc

Lets not try to make this a bigger deal than it actually is, we just happen to disagree with it, that's all. See you in La.

Dr. Bill

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Basis

Basis

To the point of the the amount, $50K vs $100k.....if the money is posted and not refundable, it is in the pot and they are playing for that amount as Keoneyo said.

However, the entry fee is like basis on your investments and is deductible to declare or reflect your winnings. Example, you buy 1 share of stock for $50, it goes to $100. Your 1099 gross receipts are $100, less cost, (basis) = $50 profit. This is the way all investment houses report 1099s. As for calling this a $50K match, is sounds like higher stakes and in this context I think it is fine.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I've had some experience in this area. (Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want) You don't tell the IRS, they tell you, then you appeal. :)
Rod.
P.S. They told me I had to pay excise tax on the amount bet on both teams, even if the game ended a tie.

Last edited: