Scott Frost vs Alex Pagulayan Fight Night

OldSchool

Verified Member
It's a hype device, and hype devices are something I tend not to like. Each to his own.

John, I also hate hype, but I hate lying and deceitful advertising even more. This has bothered me for quite awhile, but I let it go. Due to this thread , I've decided to speak up.

Please use this link to view the poster advertising the Gentile/Smith match from awhile back:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=147768&postcount=6

You'll see that in BIG LETTERS it states: FREE TO WATCH IN PERSON. With no mention of any charges. That was a bald faced lie by Big Truck. Based on that poster, a good friend of mine drove down from here in Michigan (3 hour drive one way) to watch the match. Upon getting there he saw that there were about 30 chairs surrounding the playing table and when he went to sit down he was told that ALL SEATS cost $20. Not VIP seats, ALL SEATS COST $20. The only way to watch for free, was to stand up behind all of the chairs. Well since my friend was already paying $50 in gas to get there and back, and is an older guy who can't stand up for hours, he wasn't too happy about that. And my friend said that a whole lot of other people were mad about it also. And when he asked Buddy the owner about it, Buddy apologized to him, and told him that he wanted to let all the viewing be free, but Big Truck Ray insisted on the paid seats. Nice job of out and out greed and larceny by Big Truck.

Old School

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Just so Doc won't feel like the Lone Stranger:

The winner of this one won't go around saying he won $50,000 either. :)

And if I play someone for $20 a game, I won't tell people we played for $40.

I don't think it's a big deal, but Doc is right. It's a hype device, and hype devices are something I tend not to like. Each to his own.

OTOH, It's a good poster, you do a great job and we appreciate you. My comment here is not in the way of criticism, but of suggestion (and I didn't mind the original fonts... as I said, each to his own. :p )

You are correct it's Hype. The Hype isn't for us though. It's for the people that are curious about the game and maybe, just maybe we can pique their interest.

Ray

Bigtruck

Verified Member
John, I also hate hype, but I hate lying and deceitful advertising even more. This has bothered me for quite awhile, but I let it go. Due to this thread , I've decided to speak up.

Please use this link to view the poster advertising the Gentile/Smith match from awhile back:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=147768&postcount=6

You'll see that in BIG LETTERS it states: FREE TO WATCH IN PERSON. With no mention of any charges. That was a bald faced lie by Big Truck. Based on that poster, a good friend of mine drove down from here in Michigan (3 hour drive one way) to watch the match. Upon getting there he saw that there were about 30 chairs surrounding the playing table and when he went to sit down he was told that ALL SEATS cost $20. Not VIP seats, ALL SEATS COST $20. The only way to watch for free, was to stand up behind all of the chairs. Well since my friend was already paying $50 in gas to get there and back, and is an older guy who can't stand up for hours, he wasn't too happy about that. And my friend said that a whole lot of other people were mad about it also. And when he asked Buddy the owner about it, Buddy apologized to him, and told him that he wanted to let all the viewing be free, but Big Truck Ray insisted on the paid seats. Nice job of out and out greed and larceny by Big Truck.

Old School

You are so off base here it isn't even funny. Your post tells more about you than anything.

You will probably never get it, but you owe me an apology on this one.

100% of the VIP seat at every event goes to the pool room. It's not to "make money" as you call it. It's because seating is limited and with VIP seats you can guarantee yourself a seat. Admission was free at Chris' and all other Fight Night events except for one a long time where the owner wanted to try a cover.

Please send me your friend who was upset about spending $50 to be there and I will send him his $50.

Ray

OldSchool

Verified Member
You are so off base here it isn't even funny. Your post tells more about you than anything.

You will probably never get it, but you owe me an apology on this one.

100% of the VIP seat at every event goes to the pool room. It's not to "make money" as you call it. It's because seating is limited and with VIP seats you can guarantee yourself a seat. Admission was free at Chris' and all other Fight Night events except for one a long time where the owner wanted to try a cover.

Please send me your friend who was upset about spending $50 to be there and I will send him his $50.

Ray

I'm not off base, and I owe you no apology, you owe my friend one. Care to tell why the poster says nothing about $20 seats? Why doesn't it? Just answer that one thing. And are you calling Buddy the owner a liar? Whose idea was the $20 seat charge, yours, or his?

OldSchool

Verified Member
And as for your offer of the $50 refund to my friend. The fact that you're offering it shows that you know that your poster was deceitful. I just talked to my friend and he doesn't want your money, he said to donate the $50 to a children's charity like March of Dimes.

Bigtruck

Verified Member
And as for your offer of the $50 refund to my friend. The fact that you're offering it shows that you know that your poster was deceitful. I just talked to my friend and he doesn't want your money, he said to donate the $50 to a children's charity like March of Dimes.

No it doesn't mean that. It means I'm a stand guy who is interested in everyone being happy with the events.

I certainly didn't hear one complaint about getting to reserve a seat and I knew everyone there was satisfied with a great match in Chi-Town.

The fact that you bring it up on your friends behalf suddenly has the scent of troll.

Bigtruck

Verified Member
I'm not off base, and I owe you no apology, you owe my friend one. Care to tell why the poster says nothing about $20 seats? Why doesn't it? Just answer that one thing. And are you calling Buddy the owner a liar? Whose idea was the $20 seat charge, yours, or his?

You ARE off base.

Yes it was my idea because 20 of my friends who were there wanted to make sure they had a seat. It was one of the cheapest VIP seats anyone has ever offered.

Buddy had one of his best nights in a while. Raised a couple hundred of it on VIP seats.

First time at a venue, we usually have no idea what the set up will be. No way to advertise something we aren't sure of. Next time we will know what we have to work with.

This match poster does have VIP seats available on it. I'm guessing you don't want to reserve one?

Ray

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Scott Frost vs Alex Pagualayn Fight Night

Scott Frost vs Alex Pagualayn Fight Night

My thought is it is a lot of work to put on pool events and nobody does it for a profit -- the few that are doers deserve our support or we are liable to have not much happening.

It sounds like at the time the event was planned there was no VIP but people could watch for free. Once the demand came up VIP made sense to add but "free" was still available.

Old School were you even there? If not, I don't think your complaining on your friends behalf holds much weight. Seems like the whole thing could have been negotiated then and there if your friend had an issue at the time.

I say kudos to Ray and all the players and their backers and all the room owners who make this kind of entertainment possible.

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
These events are great and for me much more interesting than tournament play. We are lucky to have them promoted and streamed. It took me a long time, to discover. Once I did, I get all 1P money matches. THANKS RAY FOR A GREAT SERVICE. I appreciate it and what you do as I am certain most here do.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Dr. Bill.... Baaaaaaarrr -B- quuuuue

Dr. Bill.... Baaaaaaarrr -B- quuuuue

Looking forward to it, ole buddy. As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, it's my turn to buy dinner...

~Doc

Speaking of buying dinner, do you think we can get Bill to run up to Baton Rouge to pick us up some of those killer ribs he's hooked on? :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Speaking of buying dinner, do you think we can get Bill to run up to Baton Rouge to pick us up some of those killer ribs he's hooked on? :)
It'd be easier to have Joe L. bring some down with him when he comes.;) But seriously, there's talk of Buff arranging for good ole cajun cooking to be available at the venue.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It'd be easier to have Joe L. bring some down with him when he comes.;) But seriously, there's talk of Buff arranging for good ole cajun cooking to be available at the venue.

~Doc

Yes, if I understood correctly, it's a caterer that has food trucks also... gonna send a truck.

baby huey

Verified Member
I love Scott and his game BUT, I just think Alex is the best one pocket player right now. Scott has been playing well lately and I haven't heard much about Alex playing so there is some added intrigue. Alex is just the better ball striker period. His defense has improved dramatically and his banking is solid. Who runs more balls? Alex does. Who is the better shot maker? Alex is? Who has the power moves? Scott does. I expect a great match………

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm curious, who's putting up 50K for each of these players?

Or are they playing for TOTAL of 50K purse?

Does anyone know who the backers are?

Bigtruck

Verified Member

Lets just say it's no accident that this is in Vegas with 100's of poker players there.

Many sponsors in town.

Ray

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Bill, the 2 players are NOT putting up $50K. They're each putting up $25K. In other words they're each playing to win the other guy's $25K. I would guess that Scott has several investors.;) Alex probably has no trouble getting staked either.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Bill, the 2 players are NOT putting up $50K. They're each putting up $25K. In other words they're each playing to win the other guy's $25K. I would guess that Scott has several investors.;) Alex probably has no trouble getting staked either.

~Doc

Once you put it up, it's no longer yours, it's gone. Now you're playing for $50k, nice odds 2/1. :)
Rod.

senor

Verified Member
Once you put it up, it's no longer yours, it's gone. Now you're playing for $50k, nice odds 2/1. :)
Rod.

That's ed zachary right, once the money is in the middle it's like you never had it to begin with.