1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'm originally from Houston; with any luck, I might combine a trip home with a trip to Bogies in late October.

Bogies is very close to the main Houston airport, IAH, about 10 minutes from Bogies to the rental car lot. It's far from Hobby, but you probably have to fly into Hobby if you take Southwest.

Humble, the Woodlands, and Kingwood are all nice places not too far away to get a hotel. That's if you have a spouse or other person with you. If not, there must be tons of motels along FM 1960 that are cheap and probably don't have bedbugs (they'll have roaches, though; welcome to Houston, where even the Four Seasons will have some roaches!).

If you do bring someone with you, it wouldn't be crazy to stay downtown and travel up the Hardy Toll Road to/from Bogies. 25 minutes with no traffic, maybe an extra 10-15 with traffic. Houston's dowtown used to be a graveyard after 6:00 but I understand there's a lot more to do there nowadays. Restaurants, wine bars, shows, etc. The Galleria area would also be nice, but it could be a *real* pain to get from there to/from Bogies during rush hour. Westheimer, 610, 59, I-10, Memorial Parkway are all options, but all will suck during rush hour.

I had a flight delay last time I was in Houston and went to Bogies for a few hours. There were three 9' Gold Crowns right by the bar and one or two 9' Diamonds off to the side. Spacing between tables was pretty good. A bunch of bar tables in the back. I played an old timer some 1P on a Gold Crown. The table played great, maybe a little faster then a typical Gold Crown. Overall, I liked the room. Beers were something like $1.75 or $2.25 -- half the price in the DC area!

Cory

P.S. LSJohn: in Texas, 20 miles is not "a long way", it's "just down the road."

Try to come Cory, it should be fun mingling with all the one pocket.org guys and drinking a few brewskis, I'll have a couple with ya for sure, I'll prolly be the first guy eliminated, so I'll have plenty of time to wash down a few, and be a sweater. Are you 70? If so, why not enter?

keoneyo

Verified Member
That's a nice gesture keoneyo, and one I'm sure the players would be appreciative of. John Rizzo is accepting all donations and entry fees at Bogie's in Houston. The address is posted in this thread. I've known Rizzo for 50 years, every nickel he receives will end up in the hands of the winning players of this event.

keoneyo,
On behalf of all the players,
Thank you

Do I make the check out to John or Bogies?
Have fun guys.
I am rooting for West Coast: Frank and John H.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Try to come Cory, it should be fun mingling with all the one pocket.org guys and drinking a few brewskis, I'll have a couple with ya for sure, I'll prolly be the first guy eliminated, so I'll have plenty of time to wash down a few, and be a sweater. Are you 70? If so, why not enter?

Unfortunately, I'm 45. But I do hope to make it, and thanks for making this happen!

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Lots and lots of hotels along the I 45 corridor, many within 5 miles of Bogies. Try to come if possible, I'm sure places to stay will be plentiful, and we'd really like to meet you, and have you play in the inaugural Seniors Classic. Hopefully the event will max out with entries (24) and we will all have a great time.I'm close to making reservations, I would play in tournament. what hotel are most of the guys staying.

Jeff

where are most guys staying at.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
where are most guys staying at.

Probably few have decided, but I'll likely be at Roadway Inn (closest -- about 1 mile from Bogies, under 5 miles to the airport, and not bad in other locations.... haven't seen this one.)

Comfort Inn is nicer and about 6 fmiles from Bogies; I think about 12 +/- from the airport.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
On second thought, I'll probably just stay at Androd's house since I'm only bringing my wife, the three dogs and my iguana. :D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I talked to "Hippy" Jimmie Reid yesterday and he said he'd like to come down and play in it, but he won't be 70 until next year. I told him that if this event is successful, we'd see him next year.

Dr. Bill,

Would Danny D. play? Any others you know who might be interested?

P.S. To all youse guys, Need 6 more players. Who knows some?

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I talked to "Hippy" Jimmie Reid yesterday and he said he'd like to come down and play in it, but he won't be 70 until next year. I told him that if this event is successful, we'd see him next year.

Dr. Bill,

Would Danny D. play? Any others you know who might be interested?

P.S. To all youse guys, Need 6 more players. Who knows some?

just made my hotel reservations for Oct 22nd. thru Oct 25th. Why not allow Jimmy Reid to play at the age of 69, can we vote for players that would like to play if they fall short of the age requirement? After all this is just a social gathering, i'm thinking exceptions could be made if we all agreed, yes?

How about Buddy Hall? Can someone get ahold of Buddy?

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
just made my hotel reservations for Oct 22nd. thru Oct 25th. Why not allow Jimmy Reid to play at the age of 69, can we vote for players that would like to play if they fall short of the age requirement? After all this is just a social gathering, i'm thinking exceptions could be made if we all agreed, yes?

Dr. Bill

I agree if we vote. How about Harry?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Dr. Bill

Voting would be fine for this year (although I would personally oppose it) but would set a bad precedent for the future. I think most of us have in mind the hope that this could become an annual event.

And, BTW, I don't think $200 entry and $2000-$5000 added qualifies as a social gathering.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Voting would be fine for this year (although I would personally oppose it) but would set a bad precedent for the future. I think most of us have in mind the hope that this could become an annual event.

And, BTW, I don't think $200 entry and $2000-$5000 added qualifies as a social gathering.

Its a social event, there will be drinking and Gummy Bears.