Lou is right about one thing

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Judging by some of the answers of the more "seasoned players" on this site and their thinking process, Lou is right about one thing.. If the old time greats had that same thought process in regards to what shots/style to choose and they played those shots TODAY against TODAY'S players... TODAY'S players would run right over them:sorry However if you could bring the old time greats in their prime forward into today, I believe they would see how the game has evolved and thus they would do what all champions do... adjust their games accordingly and become more offensive and would end up being great today also.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Judging by some of the answers of the more "seasoned players" on this site and their thinking process, Lou is right about one thing.. If the old time greats had that same thought process in regards to what shots/style to choose and they played those shots TODAY against TODAY'S players... TODAY'S players would run right over them:sorry However if you could bring the old time greats in their prime forward into today, I believe they would see how the game has evolved and thus they would do what all champions do... adjust their games accordingly and become more offensive and would end up being great today also.

You have the luxury to choose the shot that best suits the situation for a player with good to great pocketing skills, others may not. As a player I must adjust my shot selection to suit my ability, obviously my perspective on many things on the pool table have changed. When I respond to a wwyd i'm explaining for the most part what I would do, and the readers must understand that's not may be right for them or another player with a different skill level. I try to use good common sense when explaining situations, unlike a few that rebut (like yourself) and don't understand that there are other options that are just as effective than the ones their advocating. (to each his own) depending on who the shooter is.:sorry

What I have that you don't have is the experience of going from a very top player to a decent player, in doing that I have developed the understanding on how to adjust my game (through necessity) This was done through "trial and error" ..the old fashion way.:heh So, I have been every where you have been and then some, plus I have experienced the process of going from 1 to 100, and then from 100 to ? well back to 50..if you know what I mean. So, you need to slow down on your statements about how older players think as being wrong. One day you'll be "the old dog" not the "big dog"

In regard to how players thought back in the day, well the best players back in the 70's and 80's thought and played excellent, don't be fooled on how many people talk about how conservative and careful they played, it's just not true. Players back then played very aggressively as well, and there were many players back then that could have more than held their own against any of the one pocket players of today. Needless to mention who they were.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You have the luxury to choose the shot that best suits the situation for a player with good to great pocketing skills, others may not. As a player I must adjust my shot selection to suit my ability, obviously my perspective on many things on the pool table have changed. When I respond to a wwyd i'm explaining for the most part what I would do, and the readers must understand that's not may be right for them or another player with a different skill level. I try to use good common sense when explaining situations, unlike a few that rebut (like yourself) and don't understand that there are other options that are just as effective than the ones their advocating. (to each his own) depending on who the shooter is.:sorry

What I have that you don't have is the experience of going from a very top player to a decent player, in doing that I have developed the understanding on how to adjust my game (through necessity) This was done through "trial and error" ..the old fashion way.:heh So, I have been every where you have been and then some, plus I have experienced the process of going from 1 to 100, and then from 100 to ? well back to 50..if you know what I mean. So, you need to slow down on your statements about how older players think as being wrong. One day you'll be "the old dog" not the "big dog"

In regard to how players thought back in the day, well the best players back in the 70's and 80's thought and played excellent, don't be fooled on how many people talk about how conservative and careful they played, it's just not true. Players back then played very aggressively as well, and there were many players back then that could have more than held their own against any of the one pocket players of today. Needless to mention who they were.

Dr. Bill

What you say and what you do playing one pocket are 2 different things. You are much more aggressive playing than in the booth. You like to shoot and even though your skills are not anywhere near where they used to be you know damn well the 8 ball is a hanger and like Rod pointed out I would much rather spin the 8 ball in than use the bridge to bank the 10 ball.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What you say and what you do playing one pocket are 2 different things. You are much more aggressive playing than in the booth. You like to shoot and even though your skills are not anywhere near where they used to be you know damn well the 8 ball is a hanger and like Rod pointed out I would much rather spin the 8 ball in than use the bridge to bank the 10 ball.

What you're failing to realize is that it has much more to do with the cue ball then spinning in the 8ball. Imo, the cue ball is the most important part of the 8ball option, and considering the distance that the shot carries (even for a top player) one can't help to know that the cue ball could be problematic especially considering where the 10ball is positioned. Over spin the shot and the cue ball could track toward the 10ball, under spin the shot then the cue ball could either go straight back toward the top corner, or if hit hard enough to the bottom left corner into the pocket. This shot with the 8ball needs to be hit well, not only with the accuracy of the hit but also with the speed that it's hit with. There's a lot going on with this shot because of the distance it carries, and the position of the 10ball. Maybe I would make a good "yards man" Even a good "yards men" makes game ball..occasionally.:D

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Billy.... THE 8 BALL IS TOUCHING THE POINT FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!! if it was any closer to the frigging pocket you might follow the frigging ball in:frus:frus

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Billy.... THE 8 BALL IS TOUCHING THE POINT FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!! if it was any closer to the frigging pocket you might follow the frigging ball in:frus:frus

Do you like to hit those ball first or rail first. Would it be wrong for Scott to bank the ten, being a lefty??. I was just wondering what he would do

keoneyo

Verified Member
What was great about the Eddie Robin's book was that there were different shot selections to every situation. And that even though they were all top players they had differing selections. I think these decisions were based on their personal experience and forte. From Weenie Beenie to The Cannon to Grady and etc they gave a wide field of choices.

For some these WWYD's are to come to grip with the basic tenets and rules to playing solid one pocket. While we know that great players often break rules in order to get to where they want to go. Innovative and daring will always establish new order but traditional ways might still get you where you want to go.

It depends on many factors and that's where name calling and one upsmanship prevents growth.

We should be discussing these factors.
For example.
Ball count.
Tournament or Cash.
Condition of equipment.
Condition of Opponent.
Condition of Hero.
Level of players.
Level of Stakes involved. etc.

If the reason for the WWYD is to show how such a great teacher and master you are then fine but it loses its relevance for me.
If its to show how knowledgeable you are and others not then Im indifferent.
And in that sense I can somewhat say that Lou is right in his attitude towards WWYD's.
Cause I somewhat agree. Unless if we are to really unmask ourselves and look at weakness and strengths then its a cupcake at a party that has no nutrition if devoured and has only temporary gratification.

What I'd really like to see is a WWYD where you personally didn't know the answer and messed up and wanted to know your other options that could've been more productive.
What I'd really like to see are situations where you played a top player and not someone who you can give 2 balls to.
Everybody makes mistakes in our game. Everybody misses. Everybody makes wrong selections. Part of the worth of WWYD's are to find out why.

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Too funny.....

Too funny.....

......I'd love to see Efren or one of the T-shirt,baseball cap guys in a 3-piece wide lapels sharkskin and wingtips.....guys dont change from the 1800's to the 21 century.Eyes,heart,lungs,cock same same....just the exteriors change.The important stuff including adrenaline,desperation and coolness are running the usual temperature. Just the other day I was talking to Freddie and he was saying.......

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Invisible Scotch Double for one player

Invisible Scotch Double for one player

How about this....Have the weak player (give em some weight) that pockets and runs balls real well, wear a headset, and have BI tell em each shot.

bstroud

Verified Member
Hacker's right. The old style won't work today.

I believe in running balls to win.

I still shoot at everything.

Bill S.

beatle

Verified Member
the wwyd things are great. you get all the perspectives from a wide range of players in ability and thinking. none are of course as smart or play as well as the hacker but we can live with him.

the point isnt to try and find what the greatest would play for a shot, but to see and get to feel what your opponents might be doing to you.

when i play i know what the right shot is for me for the cash. but i need to know what my opponent thinks is the right shot for him so i can put him in the spots i want him to be stuck in. so learning how others think is more important than figuring the best shot for yourself, as that shot depends more on your opponent than you.

i didnt see billy i. play one pocket as when i saw him he was still a nine ball champ stealing away the girl i had been working on for a few days for a date and ran off and married her in a week. but only him and eddie kelly really thought through the racks they played properly for themselves, giving themselves the best chance to win each game. not just giving the best chance to run out. two different things and make or break being great.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
the wwyd things are great. you get all the perspectives from a wide range of players in ability and thinking. none are of course as smart or play as well as the hacker but we can live with him.

the point isnt to try and find what the greatest would play for a shot, but to see and get to feel what your opponents might be doing to you.

when i play i know what the right shot is for me for the cash. but i need to know what my opponent thinks is the right shot for him so i can put him in the spots i want him to be stuck in. so learning how others think is more important than figuring the best shot for yourself, as that shot depends more on your opponent than you.

i didnt see billy i. play one pocket as when i saw him he was still a nine ball champ stealing away the girl i had been working on for a few days for a date and ran off and married her in a week. but only him and eddie kelly really thought through the racks they played properly for themselves, giving themselves the best chance to win each game. not just giving the best chance to run out. two different things and make or break being great.

Very interesting post, beatle.

thanks

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Great point!

What was great about the Eddie Robin's book was that there were different shot selections to every situation. And that even though they were all top players they had differing selections. I think these decisions were based on their personal experience and forte. From Weenie Beenie to The Cannon to Grady and etc they gave a wide field of choices.

For some these WWYD's are to come to grip with the basic tenets and rules to playing solid one pocket. While we know that great players often break rules in order to get to where they want to go. Innovative and daring will always establish new order but traditional ways might still get you where you want to go.

It depends on many factors and that's where name calling and one upsmanship prevents growth.

We should be discussing these factors.
For example.
Ball count.
Tournament or Cash.
Condition of equipment.
Condition of Opponent.
Condition of Hero.
Level of players.
Level of Stakes involved. etc.

If the reason for the WWYD is to show how such a great teacher and master you are then fine but it loses its relevance for me.
If its to show how knowledgeable you are and others not then Im indifferent.
And in that sense I can somewhat say that Lou is right in his attitude towards WWYD's.
Cause I somewhat agree. Unless if we are to really unmask ourselves and look at weakness and strengths then its a cupcake at a party that has no nutrition if devoured and has only temporary gratification.

What I'd really like to see is a WWYD where you personally didn't know the answer and messed up and wanted to know your other options that could've been more productive.
What I'd really like to see are situations where you played a top player and not someone who you can give 2 balls to.
Everybody makes mistakes in our game. Everybody misses. Everybody makes wrong selections. Part of the worth of WWYD's are to find out why.

...and another great point.

Dr. Bill
...and yet another great point!!!

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Modern players have learned by way of playing that if you pass up on opportunities, what you are actually doing is giving your opponent chances to make great shots, which they will do. Next thing you know, a few shots down the line you are frozen to a ball downtable and the guy just jammed a couple balls near his hole -- and you are PRAYING you had that 8 ball to shoot over again. You don't take a shot where you are the BIG BIG favorite to make and get shape and you are just asking for bad things to happen because you are giving your opponent heart.

Shooting and staying in that aggressive frame of mind is winning pool, and it is how every player who wants to keep progressing needs to be thinking.