Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. Tony 3 wwyd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by lll View Post
    i like getting on the 8 next using the 12 since getting rid of that ball opens up the 10 and 15 for later
    frank
    why the 15 ball to start??
    jeff why go for the 10 after the 12 instead of going for the 8 next??
    lll,
    Ghost asked the question about running balls from this spot, so being behind 4/0, my first shot selection from the kitchen would be the easiest I could find with the biggest pocket. For me, that's the 12 ball. Then using follow and getting above the 10 offers me multiple position options on the next ball, depending on how I settle above the 10. If I fall a little short, I pick up the 15 next, it's my insurance ball.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff sparks; 09-06-2015, 07:59 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
      lll,
      Ghost asked the question about running balls from this spot, so being behind 4/0, my first shot selection from the kitchen would be the easiest I could find with the biggest pocket. For me, that's the 12 ball. Then using follow and getting above the 10 offers me multiple position options on the next ball, depending on how I settle above the 10. If I fall a little short, I pick up the 15 next, it's my insurance ball.
      Jeff
      jeff
      i also like using the 12 to start and i understand your thinking
      thanks fro the explanation
      to me you dont have to hit the 12 as hard to get on the 8 making it alittle easier shot (not that either one is that tough) and from the 8 you should be able to get to the 10/15 or bank the 5

      Comment


      • #18
        The proper way to run these balls is 12 to the 8 trying to get straight on the 8 so you can bank the 5 ball next and then fall on the 10 15. After that you are gone. The reason you go from the 12 to the 8 is because if you dont get straight in on the 8 then you have to have an angle.. well if you have an angle you then go from the 8 to the 10/15 balls and THEN back down for the 5 ball. Once you get rid of the 5 ball your opponents only threat is gone.... Ervolino was a master at running balls like these. You have way more margin of error going from the 12 to the 8 then you do from the 12 to the 10/15 balls... Plus if you get on the 8 right away you might end up with the perfect angle to make the 8 and go nudge the 14 ball leaving you the 13 and 3 next.

        The 12 to the 8 gives you so many follow up options with the least degree of getting screwed by your cue ball going too short or far with your opening shot
        Last edited by onepockethacker; 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          From another old guy, 12-8-5 whatever comes next.
          Rod.

          Rodney Stephens.
          (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

          Comment


          • #20
            Shoot the 1 3combo-then the 1-then the 15, and then the 12 or the eight depending on the angle-Being in the same age group and not the best shooter anymore, I would slow roll the combo because if I miss any of these starting shots I will probably lose anyway-

            Comment


            • #21
              In these spots I always look for the roadmap that keeps the cue ball in the center of the table, hopefully away from other balls and rails so to not have a weird bridge hand or to fall straight in on a ball with limited space to work.

              My choice would be 13 - 2/14 - 3. Once I get shape on the 3 I can decide how to proceed, as I think the 15, 12 and 8 all have reasonable chances of being the out balls in this spot.

              Comment


              • #22
                Just shows to go you, different strokes for different folks. Drawing off the 12 for the eight is right for some, while following off the 12 for the 15/10 is easier for others.

                For me, the natural shot is the follow off the 12, once I set the CB, all concentration goes to the OB and very little to the CB. The margin for error in speed is very large since I have an insurance ball ( the 15 ) once I fall on either the 10 or the 15, then I can decide which direction I'm going to next from much closer to all object balls.

                Drawing off the 12 works also, and if the other option weren't available, no question, I'd shoot it. The hacker is gonna jump on me for this, but I've scratched off that option before by over stroking a tiny bit, granted you gotta butcher it to do that, but sometimes Murphy's Law applies.

                Whatever, it's a WWYD, and that's WIWD.

                I yield for my tongue lashing, goard head Hack, let me have it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by onepockethacker View Post
                  The proper way to run these balls is 12 to the 8 trying to get straight on the 8 so you can bank the 5 ball next and then fall on the 10 15. After that you are gone. The reason you go from the 12 to the 8 is because if you dont get straight in on the 8 then you have to have an angle.. well if you have an angle you then go from the 8 to the 10/15 balls and THEN back down for the 5 ball. Once you get rid of the 5 ball your opponents only threat is gone.... Ervolino was a master at running balls like these. You have way more margin of error going from the 12 to the 8 then you do from the 12 to the 10/15 balls... Plus if you get on the 8 right away you might end up with the perfect angle to make the 8 and go nudge the 14 ball leaving you the 13 and 3 next.

                  The 12 to the 8 gives you so many follow up options with the least degree of getting screwed by your cue ball going too short or far with your opening shot
                  Good points, but for me either speed (rolling or drawing) to go to the 8 is wrong for a shot that is a must-make. Going straight to the 10/15 is my most accurate speed at this distance. (Yeah, I know, Who am I gonna beat?....My sister, if I don't miss the 12. )

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
                    Just shows to go you, different strokes for different folks. Drawing off the 12 for the eight is right for some, while following off the 12 for the 15/10 is easier for others.

                    For me, the natural shot is the follow off the 12, once I set the CB, all concentration goes to the OB and very little to the CB. The margin for error in speed is very large since I have an insurance ball ( the 15 ) once I fall on either the 10 or the 15, then I can decide which direction I'm going to next from much closer to all object balls.

                    Drawing off the 12 works also, and if the other option weren't available, no question, I'd shoot it. The hacker is gonna jump on me for this, but I've scratched off that option before by over stroking a tiny bit, granted you gotta butcher it to do that, but sometimes Murphy's Law applies.

                    Whatever, it's a WWYD, and that's WIWD.

                    I yield for my tongue lashing, goard head Hack, let me have it.
                    LOL, almost exactly what I was thinkin'/sayin', so maybe my paranoid way to go ain't so bad.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                      There's 6 different offensive choices/balls that go in your pocket to choose from in this wwyd - something for everyone...

                      Greedily wanting to continue my ongoing run of 5 balls, I banked the 5ball straight back - just missed it - meant to leave Tony on the head rail next to the bottom right pocket, but accidentally pocket scratched in that pocket

                      So Tony now has ball in hand --- 91the ball score is 4-0, Ghost ahead, Tony going to 7 --- Tony's pocket is at the top right --- wwyd/how would you plan to run balls?

                      PS, The 3ball and the 1ball are both equally 1/8" off the rail...the 2ball does not have room to go in between the 13 and 3 (But I'm sure some ass-clown will try and get it through there with their mouse and keyboard ).

                      PPS, Tony plays ok, moves/knows the game pretty well..but he is 72 yrs. old and doesn't shoot super-straight anymore - I give him 11-7...so his shot choice may not be the same as most on here.
                      This is a very interesting situation because of the position of the 12ball and 8ball. There's nothing natural about going from the 12ball to the 8ball, you need to draw away from the 8ball if you're choosing this route and that's where your problems begin. Same problems going from the 12ball to either the 10ball or 15ball, you need to draw away from the 8ball. If the 12ball was laying on the angle that a soft follow would produce position on the 8ball and a med. speed follow would produce position on the two stripes then starting with the 12ball would be a "no brainer" With this understanding you now have a reason to look at the two combinations that are available and weigh up the degree of difficulty either combination produces. Another huge factor in deciding the correct shot would be the pocket size and how forgiving the pockets are you're shooting into. Obviously with forgiving pockets the combinations are much more appealing then on smaller pockets and it wouldn't be wrong (imo) to start the run shooting one of the combinations. If I were to start with one of the combinations it would be the one Tyler chose, 14ball into the 13ball. This combination if pocketed will open up the table nicely and offer the shooter a multitude of options to complete the run. Also by choosing the 14-13ball combination there's a good chance that if it's missed you won't give up a good return shot to your opponent, which should be factored into the equation when choosing options.

                      Now, i'm in total agreement with the players that would start with the 12ball and play position for the 8ball...if a soft follow would produce natural position for the 8ball, however, I don't believe that's the case.

                      Dr. Bill

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I wasn't shooting the combo bill I was shooting the 13 straight in. Did I misread something I think we got ball in hand no?

                        I think for me I will make the 13 as often as the 8, and feel I'm getting a shot off the 13 and things will be open. Maybe Not the most orthodox choice but that's what I'd do.

                        Here's my thinking on this I'd like to explain it. We like to think we play real good position and once we get in line we can put the cb on a spot and get that 13. That don't happen many times. You gotta win the game here. Shoot that 13, make it the balls are all open and I think it gives you the best chance to win right now. A better player with a better cb may want to play it differently of course.
                        Last edited by tylerdurden; 09-06-2015, 12:18 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
                          I'm shooting the 15 ball and getting on the eight ball.
                          I agree 100%

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            For those that want to start with a combo Hey guys here is a basic hint that "PLAYERS" with your "knowledge and skill" should have learned the first day of one pocket class.. The only shot that leaves nothing if you miss and the most if you make it is the 12 to the 8.. You have ball in hand.. any of you prop bettors want to play this scenario out let me know.. This is so common sense its a joke..

                            Once again Lord please give me a room full of these guys

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              By the way if I had to play any combo from this position, I would be playing the 2 into 3 ball and stopping on the 14 ball. If I make it I get the 1 ball next and if I miss the combo I don't sell completely out like the rest of you guys LMFAO..

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                To quote a line from one of my favorite movies.. Cholla .. Why me Lord.. you made other men out of clay.. mine you made out of shiit

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X