Cochran's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
    VERY nice videos, Bill. And you had a pretty decent and knowledgeable crowd too.

You do have a good stroke, although you don't waste a lot of time lining up. I think many of the old time players, both pool and 3C, had to have good strokes to get the ball around the table on the old nappy cloths.

I played in the 1960's when I never saw some of the super fast cloth and heated tables they use today. There was good worsted cloth in some places, but nothing like what they started using later.

Do you still play out of Chris's?

Doc
    For Gulfportdock In Life THe Old Will Become THe New. You Are A Very Sincere person. And It Showes.

Comment

Doc; No, I've been living in Florida for the last 5 years, the nearest place to play 3 cush is 95 miles away. The Exixbition at Chris's was played on heated Veerhoven Tables, but the video from 1983 was done on old unheated Brunswick Aniversery Table with a nap cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by mr3cushion
        ...but the video from 1983 was done on old unheated Brunswick Aniversery Table with a nap cloth.
        Well that's even more impressive then. If there are no billiard tables near you, have you picked up your pool game?

BTW-- thanks, Artie.

Doc

Comment

Doc; Most of the billiard rooms in Central Fl have only 4x8's at most, and honestly Doc, I get bored playing pool except for one pocket, I mean lets face it, how smart do you have to be playing nine ball to know you have to shoot the 4 ball after the 3.

Comment

Doc; No, I've been living in Florida for the last 5 years, the nearest place to play 3 cush is 95 miles away. The Exixbition at Chris's was played on heated Veerhoven Tables, but the video from 1983 was done on old unheated Brunswick Aniversery Table with a nap cloth.

mr3cushion,

That was some exhibition on the old Brunswick. That's the table I learned on. You needed dynamite in your stroke to move balls around on that table. Great video.

Dennis

Comment

Doc; Most of the billiard rooms in Central Fl have only 4x8's at most, and honestly Doc, I get bored playing pool except for one pocket, I mean lets face it, how smart do you have to be playing nine ball to know you have to shoot the 4 ball after the 3.
              Note to self... self do not take 10 on the wire going to 15, against Mr.3C.
              Nice video, Sir.

I particulary liked the fact that you showed a few misses before you made the shot. Some people (names upon request) need 47 takes to make a shot... and only show the one they make. Oh, the magic of editing.
              Last edited by SJDinPHX; 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

SJD;
                Both the video's are unedited, the 1983 video I took myself setting up the camera for each shot at the best angle I thought would show the action of the cue ball. This is when the first portable video camera's and recorders came out.
                The Chris's video 1997, was completely unedited also, it was a spare of the moment thing to flim it, not the best angles, but it worked.

Comment

Fatboy;
                  Go to AZ Billiards, you know the other playground, and then on the main page goto AZTV and click on popular video's. Bill Smith Exibition at Chris's Billiards 1997 and 1983. Enjoy them.

thank you, I will watch them tonite, Im driving from Vegas to LA, when I get into LA I will watch them.

thanks again,

eric

Comment

Ran across this on ebay recently and was wondering if this was a photo of the Palace in SF.
                    [ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/PALACE-BILLIARDS-1920s-PHOTOGRAPH-/370374268935?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563c06d807[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by twister
                      Ran across this on ebay recently and was wondering if this was a photo of the Palace in SF.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/PALACE-BILLIARDS...item563c06d807
                      Couldn't say for sure, Twister, but I doubt that photo is of the SF establishment. I'm not sure it was even there in the 1920's.

Doc

Comment

• For Doc and Twister

That may very well be the original Palace Billiards, Market St had trolly car tracks in the center. The street appears to slope from left to right and that would put the Palace on the north side of Market St. where it was located until the mid 60's. The Palace was operating before 1900, the owner was a famous sports ftgure in SF and was a referee at a number of notable prize fighs in that era. Cant recall his name.
                        In 62 or 63 I had a conversation with a journalist that was doing a feature article for the SF Cronicle about the history of the Palace and early on it was famous for its free lunch, the finest in the west. There was a partition between the billiard tables and the pool tables and the lunch was on the billiard side. The billiard side was carpeted and you were shown to your table by a porter in a tux. The pool table side had no carpet and no lunch.
                        The art work that hung in the Palace was outstanding, it was from an Exposition early in 1900. Theres a photo of one of the paintings in a pool book that that came out in the 80's or 90's, its a large oil of a harem girl, great painting.

Comment

• Palace

Sure looks like the building the Palace was in,trolley tracks in the middle of Market.Same side of the street as Woolworths,upstairs and the lunch counter on your left as you went in.The summer of 70 for me but not for long.The whorehouse was on 347 Eddy,not sure what 555 Eddy was.Its fading fast like the sun in the evening but what a time and place to be in yer 20's,tanks all,B

Comment

• Okay, lads. Here's a 13 minute film of Market St. traveling toward the bay from 1904-- just before the fire. See if y'all can pick out the Palace... ~Doc

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKRbTF5afSE&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

• Didn't see the Palace, Doc. But I think I did recognize San Jose Dick crossing the street!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                                Okay, lads. Here's a 13 minute film of Market St. traveling toward the bay from 1904-- just before the fire. See if y'all can pick out the Palace... ~Doc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKRbT...eature=related
                                Great Post Doc...you beat me to it. I passed this post onto some friends recently after a friend sent it to me.

At exactly 7:58 into the clip (just as the horse drawn wagon is crossing the tracks) if you look to the left, the bldg. facing you is still standing. (At least it was in the sixties)...It had a bar and a dance hall the party crowd used to frequent .....That is the intersection of Golden Gate and Market. You are headed northwest (on Market) in the clip, and GG runs east and west, as comes in at a 45* angle to Market st.)
                                The Bldg that housed Cochran,s may not have survived the quake/fire.

Cochran's would have been on the 2nd floor of the bldg., just across the street (this way)...at Golden Gate.
                                I could not tell for sure for that was the actual bldg. Cochran's was in, it may have been, but it looks too small. The original Palace, was up Market a few more blocks on the same side, (left) on Market.

PS..If you look closely, you can see Vapros and Squirrell, crossing the street to head up the stairs to Cochran's...They were younger then...
                                Last edited by SJDinPHX; 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X