No announcement yet.

Cochran's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for finding this, Doc. I only passed through SF a little in '68 and '69 and can't say I remember much

I found another version of the same movie, but better restored, so it doesn't have the scrolling problems. It is a more recent restoration and they apparently now say this was shot just days before the 1906 quake. Pretty wild to see the free-for-all foot-horse-car-trolley traffic every which way -- apparently before any significant traffic regulations. They don't even always go the same way on the same sides of the street. Of course, there does seem to be a little performing for the camera going on...

[YOUTUBE]oubsaFBUcTc[/YOUTUBE]

The amazing new info:
    Eightbanger — January 03, 2010 — "Amazing new Info on this film".
    FYI: A Trip Down Market Street was filmed in 1906!!

This film, was originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing, to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he knows who owned them and when the plates were issued).. It was filmed only four days before the quake and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing but true!
    Copied from..www.archive.org.

A trip down Market Street. The original version of which can be downloaded at....www.archive.org...suffered badly from "Film Roll" at the beginning and end, this version however has had those faults corrected and shows alot more detail particularly at the end were the film froze and skipped frames.
    "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
    -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

• Originally posted by gulfportdoc
      Okay, lads. Here's a 13 minute film of Market St. traveling toward the bay from 1904-- just before the fire. See if y'all can pick out the Palace... ~Doc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKRbT...eature=related

Thanks Doc.....Whow!.....That was the most interesting thing I've ever seen in my life...

I don't know why I've never seen some of those old movies especially one that goes on for so long.....

Did anybody not wear a suit back then?....That was wild...
      George

Comment

• Cheap shot, Desert Duck!! That ain't funny and I ain't that old. I was certainly not hanging around poolrooms in 1904. I believe that was one of the years I was in the third grade.
        If it ain't funny, it ain't much.

Comment

Working...
        X