X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget whether it is legal or not .
    It's just a bad idea all around.
    Just like all these types of moves.
    People think it's smart and slick and part of the game , but this is what people get hurt over.
    Someone may not like losing their money , but if it is fair and square , they usually don't get crazy.
    On the other hand , if you punk somebody , even a nice guy will once in a while go off and smash you in the head with a cue or a ball. Or maybe even put a hole or 2 in you.
    Is it really worth taking that chance for a stinking 20 dollar bill?

Comment

Always Be Aware

It is the responsibility of any player to always be aware of what is happening on the table. If your opponent fouls and you do not see this then its on you. In a money game, bystanders have no business calling what they have seen as this is a match they are not a part of. Even if they are betting on the side. That is the way I have always understood it. It is not your game so stay out of it. Now if your opponent fouls and you do not see it and he decides to make you aware of it-then my hats off to that player that knows how not to try and win by default-but with class. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
        May I steal this thread for an instant? I will anyway so here goes. My apologies but I do see similarities here.

I was playing this guy in one of my matches at the US Open One Pocket Championships in Portland Maine. It may have been in 2000 or 2002 can't remember the year that well. So every few minutes he's going off somewhere without saying anything to me. Many times he left the table when it was my shot which is not suppose to be allowed. Finally I've had enough and when the fourth game had concluded with him winning it. It was then my break and off he went without a word.

I decided to call the ref. over and explained the situation to him and he asked me if I wished to start the game with out him I could and he would watch to verify my inning. Not wanting to be delayed any further I broke the balls and happened to pocket one. The ref waved me on and I continued to run out the game without my opponent's presence. Game, Set, Match!

We both hung around until my opponent finally showed up. The ref. said it all. "You lost". Well, he was in disbelief but the ref. explained what occurred and how he had no right to leave the table on my inning without first asking permission even though it was between games and that he, the ref had witnessed my entire inning and I had legally won the game. Talk about satisfying!

I doubt I would had gone to such lengths had this guy been more respectful but sometimes you just have to put an end to the gamesmanship of some people.

Tom
        This!!!! I would have done the same damn thing.Piss on em for not paying attention!! Game set match. Play another one? John B.
        Click here to order the DVD
        Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

Lots of great info in this thread!! Pay attention is what I say!! Shit.. if you can't pay enough attention.. stay the f k home and do something else. Good grief. John B.
          Click here to order the DVD
          Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

Originally posted by John Brumback View Post
            Lots of great info in this thread!! Pay attention is what I say!! Shit.. if you can't pay enough attention.. stay the f k home and do something else. Good grief. John B.
            Well, bottom line, both guys were wrong: one stupid, one a thief. One deserved what he got, the other didn't. I'ts easier for me to forgive stupidity (easier) than thievery.

Comment

Originally posted by poolandpokerman View Post
              I was in the pool hall last week and 2 guys were playing for $20 a game, one guy was drinking and the other was not. The guy that was NOT drinking scratched and the guy that was drinking (all day) said "I need a bathroom break, I will be right back". Well his opponent (sober) picks up the cue and sits it in the jaws of the pocket on the head rail. When the guy gets back from the bathroom, I guess he forgot about the scratch and shot the cue from the jaws where his opponent had sit it. I know it was a terrible thing to do, but is there anything illegal about it.
              We have all scratched and reached in and took the cueball out and rolled it down to our opponent but if he took it out while the guy was gone and placed it on the table anywhere then it's a problem. He's not allowed to do that. He should've left it in the pocket or made the guy aware that he had BIH when he came back. On the other hand the opponent is also responsible for remembering that he has BIH.

Dennis

Comment

I assume that the guy eventually learned that he'd been had. He paid his dues into the "snooze you lose club". Fortunately he got a discount rate.
                (A recovering 9 ball player)

Comment

Hey guys, TylerBob is a friend of mine and a good one hole player. I will vouch for him if need be for him to be a verified member.---Smitty
                  Last edited by One pocket Smitty; 02-29-2016, 09:48 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

There are a couple of ways to stop this right in its tracks, and, that is to:
                    - no snooze you loose, scratches gotta be paid
                    - get winners and quit if funny stuff like this comes up. keeps your opponent honest
                    - put the penny down on the rail yourself at all times so that you don't forget the scratches

Comment

Originally posted by jerry matchin View Post
                      There are a couple of ways to stop this right in its tracks, and, that is to:
                      - no snooze you loose, scratches gotta be paid
                      - get winners and quit if funny stuff like this comes up. keeps your opponent honest
                      - put the penny down on the rail yourself at all times so that you don't forget the scratches
                      - Don't get drunk and leave the table... you might be playin' a scumbag.

Comment

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                        - Don't get drunk and leave the table... you might be playin' a scumbag.
                        I used to love to win peoples money, but I made it a habit not to play people I knew had been drinking.
                        Main reason was, that's what scumbags do, reason number 2, you never know what might happen.

Comment

Working...
                        X