WWYD - Eddie Taylor vs Marshall Carpenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely good logic!

That's what Eddie did, he banked 1 rail across the 13, center/reverse to hold the cue ball up. Then banked the 3 to win that year.

I've tried this shot 50 times, I can bank the 13 about 20% of the time, hold whitey up about 20% of the time, but I've never been able to do both.

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
    Mitch, you are correct here. The thirteen can be banked straight across and the cue ball can be held first to the opposite side rail and then to the foot rail. I just shot it that way, and if I can do it we all know Eddie can do it. For me, the cue ball rolled sweetly in the direction of the three and had it rolled a little further I would have had a nice bank on it.

One thing though, if Eddie had missed the bank but managed to leave the cue ball on the foot rail, the shot would not be safe. A simple kick off the head rail wins the game for Squirrel, so Eddie may have chosen something other than that cross bank.

See, not much has changed, now has it?

Tom

Comment

I was there.
      Taylor was amazing at making banks under the gun.
      The one I remember most was against Wimpy.

Bill S.

Comment

The question for the experts like Tom, Billy, etc. is what is the "correct shot" for mere mortals?

Take some kind of foul?

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
          I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he did, Larry. The 13 would not be a hard bank for Eddie, and he may have gotten 4-rail shape on the 3-ball bank. It'll be interesting to see what he did.

~Doc
          It's a natural shootin' it this way, drawed cue ball hitting the long rail 1st....land on the foot rail, bank the 3, free shot either way.
          Bill Meacham
          WBT
          www.worldbilliardtour.com
          no link....

Comment

According to Taylor this shot is best made with left center stun.
            Low English would make the OB go longer. Not what you want in this case.

Bill S.

Comment

Wannabe: "I've tried this shot 50 times, I can bank the 13 about 20% of the time..."

If Wannabe can only achieve 20% shooting it over and over 50 times (and rarely for the win but only to tie the score) I gotta think there's something better than that for mortals.

Either Dennis' shot, or slow roll on about 2/3 of the 13 to block a shot at the 3 (if pinching the 3 out using the 13 doesn't look good at the table -- pockets would need to be tight.)

Comment

I would love to get John B's take on this bank, how he hits it, what he sees.

I'm probably hitting it 100% the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by 1pwannabe View Post
                  I would love to get John B's take on this bank, how he hits it, what he sees.

I'm probably hitting it 100% the wrong way.
                  Are you sure that is the exact placement of the balls??

Looks to me like the 13 ball bank is on a huge kiss from there. John B.
                  Click here to order the DVD
                  Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

WWYD - Eddie Taylor vs Marshall Carpenter

Originally posted by John Brumback View Post

What do you know 😱😱😱😜
                    Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                      What do you know 😱😱😱😜
                      Your damn peppers are too damn hot!!!!! John B.

Comment

As it is drawn I agree with JB.

The bank Taylor made against Wimpy was on the side rail a little above the Kitchen with Wimpy having game ball buried in his pocket.

Bill S.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brumback View Post

I haven't had a kiss yet trying it, but I'm doing this from memory. Marshall showed it to me about a year ago. I'll ask him to set it up for me again.

Comment

I set up the shot exactly as 1Pwannabe positioned it in his diagram, with both balls about 1/4" off the rail.

Making the bank and drawing the CB to the opposite long rail was very difficult. I only did it while making the bank once in about 10-12 tries. One time I made the bank and the CB both in the same hole.

The easiest way for me to accomplish the shot was to hit just above center on the CB, bank the 13 naturally, and have the CB come around 4 rails to get shape on the 3.

I will say that if a guy can draw the CB off the opposite long rail, the angle that the CB comes toward the 3 ball is going to have more room for error, since the closer on the foot rail toward the 3 that the CB rolls, the better the bank angle. I didn't check to see if the 3 ball bank can be made with the CB a little up table, or whether it must be made from the CB position of near the foot rail, closer to the 3.

It's a do-or-die circumstance here, so I'd probably shoot the 13 bank too, only I'd try the 4-railer with the CB route.

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by 1pwannabe View Post
                              I haven't had a kiss yet trying it, but I'm doing this from memory. Marshall showed it to me about a year ago. I'll ask him to set it up for me again.
                              I hope you do. I might learn something from it too.

It just don't look right to me in this pic John B.

Comment

I like Dennis' shot but don't try for the hit. Just let it die on the bottom rail. Squirrel might get lucky with a 3 rail bank from there but he could also sell out trying it. Its something most of us could do most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X