Shot clocks for one pocket?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Regarding the slow pace of One Pocket as compared to 9-ball, I think its part of the charm. It gives players and sweaters time to contemplate the ins and outs of shot choices. For those who want to speed things up all the time, would you want to speed up a Baseball game? The tempo or pace or rhythm of the game is half the charm. Can you imagine Ernie Harwell talking 60 miles an hour when he gives the count? Don't the time lapses between one pitch and another add drama and excitement? Quit trying to re-invent the game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I don't think the comparison between quitting smoking and speeding up play is related...

Heh. I was just thinking that how long one has been doing something has no bearing on whether it's a good idea to continue.

I too believe that speeding up the game with a shot clock would help the fan base and go further and eons faster towards acquiring more players and a much broader fan base.
I am not however in the camp that would hurt or denigrate the game of one pocket

Given the right technology and method of enforcement, I don't see how it can harm the game. (Being anal is a curse... why reward it? :p )

It's a moot point, unless some authoritative group or governing body takes the bull by the horns and incorporates a reasonable shot clock rule for tournament play. One that proves out over time and is wholly accepted and welcomed by the players and the public.

Not quite ready for prime time, IMO, but I like the idea. Here's what I would do (somebody knows how, but I don't.) Two digital stop watches on the same circuit that clip to the players' clothing, one for each. When either is "clicked" both chime softly so one guy knows the other hasn't "clicked" when he shouldn't. "Click" at the end of your inning, starting the timer for the opponent. This would allow Petie's method to work, and I think it's best: total time for a match (as in "speed chess") being what is tracked, not time for each individual shot

Until then we will just have to suffer the old traditional (oops!) the same way we have been playing the game since it was invented...:):):)
:lol

Who would you bet on? The winner gets to play Cory Dueul...another speedster at the table.

JJ. It's not a matter of playing quickly, it's a matter of seeing and sorting 5 options in 4 seconds (like Dr. Bill.) Cory plays relatively fast (except when he's trying to sort the stack when nothing is obvious) but he appears to me not to consider the strategic advantage of shots that have no obvious immediate offensive value.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The tempo or pace or rhythm of the game is half the charm.

I'm "charmed" by dogs and small children...period. :)

Do you play poker? I think players who persistently take a long time to act on decisions they make immediately/automatically should be strung up. :D (Sometimes I think they're trying to keep down their cost-per-minute for the money they lose.)

Quit trying to re-invent the game.

Giving slow-thinkers and stallers a disadvantage is a move in the right direction IMO, but it's hardly "reinventing" the game, any more than air bags reinvented the automobile.

I like "3 fouls", TV colors of the 4 and 12, "cue ball fouls only", measle ball, "unsportsmanlike" sanctions, low-deflection shafts, phenolic resin, Kamui chalk, layered tips, and streaming. I don't like clay balls and dead elephants.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Maybe players who play slow should wear a special t-shirt or some embarrassing marker on them that indicates who are the traditionally slow players. An even better idea: www.SlowOnePocketPlayerDataBase.com

• Comes with a Mugshot and a rap-sheet of stalled events, successful tournament wedges and other slow playing accomplishments and evils.

Better still, 'SlowPlayers' could become a 'category' page for www.BadActionPlayers.com / Other categories might include:

• 'Make em' Post'
  • 'Pull up artists'
  • 'Sir Talks Alot'
  • 'Top 100 Pool Nits'
  • 'Shark Attacks'
  • 'My ball your ball'
  • 'That's not a foul'
  • 'Registered Cue Thieves'

I'm just riffing now. Might be time for my afternoon siesta.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I like "3 fouls", TV colors of the 4 and 12, "cue ball fouls only", measle ball, "unsportsmanlike" sanctions, low-deflection shafts, phenolic resin, Kamui chalk, layered tips, and streaming. I don't like clay balls and dead elephants.

John,

Can I borrow this quote....sounds like a pop song in there somewhere. Maybe Doc and I can put it to music and make a fortune on a one-hit wonder. :D:D:heh:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm "charmed" by dogs and small children...period. :)

Do you play poker? I think players who persistently take a long time to act on decisions they make immediately/automatically should be strung up. :D (Sometimes I think they're trying to keep down their cost-per-minute for the money they lose.)

Giving slow-thinkers and stallers a disadvantage is a move in the right direction IMO, but it's hardly "reinventing" the game, any more than air bags reinvented the automobile.

Take two aspirins and call me when you feel better.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Never mind the spectators, the railbirds and the tournament directors. I don't think that an effort at time management can be regarded as reinventing the game of one pocket. Delay is really dead time for the guy on the stool, as you can't do much planning in our game, because you have no idea what the table will look like when it's your shot. When the guy at the table lets the air out of the ball, so to speak, he is imposing his will on his opponent unfairly. One of the instructors says 'beat people with a stick.' That should be the name of the game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'll be 100% in favor of using shot clocks in one-pocket..... just as soon as they start using them in baseball.:rolleyes:

Shot clocks will never come into common usage in one-pocket. The owners and promoters are not going to buy them, and the players don't like them. In chess, without a shot clock, some contestants would sit there for an hour before each turn going over every possible move and historical situation before he budged. So chess had to do something.

People who continually bring up this subject are inadvertently suggesting that all tournament players be punished for a few bad apples. There are already umpteen ways to speed up matches which have become painfully slow or problematic. I've personally run several 1P tournaments, and only one time did I have to institute a speed up mechanism.

Look, they've already ruined the game of 9-ball/10-ball by speeding it up with Texas Express rules: 1 foul BIH, and 3 foul loss of game. This was to get 9-ball on TV. How much 9-ball is now on TV?:rolleyes: And of course one-pocket will NEVER be watched by the public.

Leave one-pocket to be played the way it was intended. If in a tournament there is a seriously problematically slow match, then there are ways to handle that.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
John,

Can I borrow this quote....sounds like a pop song in there somewhere. Maybe Doc and I can put it to music and make a fortune on a one-hit wonder. :D:D:heh:

Picture yourself dancing to it with me watching... hands over both eyes but peeking out between index and middle fingers. (Never could avoid looking at a train wreck.) :p

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Never mind the spectators, the railbirds and the tournament directors. I don't think that an effort at time management can be regarded as reinventing the game of one pocket. Delay is really dead time for the guy on the stool, as you can't do much planning in our game, because you have no idea what the table will look like when it's your shot. When the guy at the table lets the air out of the ball, so to speak, he is imposing his will on his opponent unfairly. One of the instructors says 'beat people with a stick.' That should be the name of the game.

^^^^^^^
That!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'll be 100% in favor of using shot clocks in one-pocket..... just as soon as they start using them in baseball.:rolleyes:

Shot clocks are for left-brainers. You and Petie are "radical right." :D

People who continually bring up this subject are inadvertently suggesting that all tournament players be punished for a few bad apples.

I see it as rewarding the majority of players to the slight disadvantage of a few.

Look, they've already ruined the game of 9-ball/10-ball by speeding it up with Texas Express rules: 1 foul BIH, and 3 foul loss of game.

A matter of personal preference. As I've noted before, I have the patience of a gerbil. Faster is better in almost all things... and the only thing it's definitely worse in is not of the concern to me it once was. :p :frus

Leave one-pocket to be played the way it was intended.

By whom? Moses, Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, Ghandi or Jansco, Inc.? :D

(I pick Dave Pearson.) :heh

southavenrecreationcenter

Verified Member
From
SOUTHAVEN, MISSISSIPPI
Funny story about the clock

Funny story about the clock

1. So I loaded everyone's phone up with the COUNTDOWNS app....(it's perfectly suited for the intended purpose. Hence, no money spent....went to the SRC and no one wanted to play with the clock
2. Rosey and Jose drew each other in Louisville long ago and they were immediately put on the clock, only to finish 3hrs later than everyone else. A new definition of SAFE!
3. Rosey statement was "I don't care how long he takes, if he don't shot he can't beat me out of as much".

I understand everyone's point of view and I prefer not to worry about it also. It's when you are running a tournament and a bracket falls behind, and you live in East Jesus and want to get home.... I can't help you out without a ruling about the above.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I agree with Rowsey. It's not so much the effects I feel when playing a slower player as much as the effect on everyone who must wait for the results of that match to play the ensuing rounds. I've seen this hang up a number of one pocket tournaments.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is the rule from accustats
60 seconds to "address the cue ball".
60 second extension to "address the cue ball."
When the clock reaches 00 it is not automatically a foul.
When the clock reaches 00 during a players extension and the player has not yet addressed the cue ball, a foul is called.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I downloaded ap and watched it count down. 60 seconds is a long time and plenty of time to pull trigger. The only people that don't like shot clocks are slow methodical players. I hate playing them. The only problem I have with them is I wouldn't get to use it as I see and shoot fast.
PS. The first time I played a now good friend of mine a race to 4 for $$ took 5 hrs. After I won I told I would rather dig ditches than play you again.
~T

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Shot clocks will never come into common usage in one-pocket. The owners and promoters are not going to buy them, and the players don't like them. In chess, without a shot clock, some contestants would sit there for an hour before each turn going over every possible move and historical situation before he budged. So chess had to do something.

People who continually bring up this subject are inadvertently suggesting that all tournament players be punished for a few bad apples. There are already umpteen ways to speed up matches which have become painfully slow or problematic. I've personally run several 1P tournaments, and only one time did I have to institute a speed up mechanism.

Look, they've already ruined the game of 9-ball/10-ball by speeding it up with Texas Express rules: 1 foul BIH, and 3 foul loss of game. This was to get 9-ball on TV. How much 9-ball is now on TV?:rolleyes: And of course one-pocket will NEVER be watched by the public.

Leave one-pocket to be played the way it was intended. If in a tournament there is a seriously problematically slow match, then there are ways to handle that.

~Doc

100% agreed. Even in 9-Ball you can notice better quality 9-Ball in money games than in shot-clock-monitored tournaments. It works fine when you are running out but not so fine when you have to actually decide something beyond hitting the lowest numbered ball. BTW, I am not a slow player. I probably shoot slower than Chris Gentile but faster than Nick Varner. If you are playing a really good player, he is setting Hungarian traps for you every shot. It takes a little thought to escape and turn the game toward your advantage sometimes.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

~Doc

I agree Doc. While I am not a slow player, I can play that way if the game dictates it. Having played two long sessions with Artie B, which were races to seven that took 13 hours and 16 hours, I know how excruciating slow play can be, but if never leaving a shot and breaking your opponent down is your style and it works, it is all part of this wonderful game.

For tournament play, I do like the Grady rule (similar to The Beards Speedo Rules) that Frank mentioned where anytime there are more than four balls in the kitchen you spot the one(s) closest to the line. I doubt I would gamble that way unless I really liked the matchup.:D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
if never leaving a shot and breaking your opponent down is your style and it works, it is all part of this wonderful game.

Indeed it is, but does that have anything to do with the shot clock question?

For tournament play, I do like the Grady rule (similar to The Beards Speedo Rules) that Frank mentioned where anytime there are more than four balls in the kitchen you spot the one(s) closest to the line.

I'm ambivalent about that, but it makes a huge difference in the play of the game, while shot clocks make little or none. My ability to enjoy a match is affected a lot more by the time between shots than by its total length, but all opinions about this stuff are equally valid, IMO. Personal preference.

BTW, sorry to hear you've decided against N.O. I'll look forward to seeing you in October.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
My thoughts. Our local events are muddied up by slow play, me included. To rectify this l'm looking for shot clocks that would be positioned at the upstream end of the table and would be reset to 60 seconds ONLY BY YOUR OPPONENT. Your opponent would have to respectfully remove himself from the playing area before your turn would start. A phone app would work. Do any of y'all use one, if so, help please.

However it's done for the benefit of new OnePocket audiences, a shot clock is probably needed. Streamed events I'm referring to. Personal events like Southaven Rec is asking? Up to the the proprietor, their audiences I guess. That's your business revenue talking' - to make sure all are entertained

On side matches if a player is known for slow play, I personally can deal with it. If slow play is carried out intentionally then more than a shot clock could be needed :)

I'm a-fixin' to come to Memphis ... :)