How to post a picture using imgur.com

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Had a few people ask me how to use this website to post your pictures so I thought I would just start a new thread for it.

- First off, make sure you have the picture you want to use from your camera or screenshot or drawing or whatever it is you want to share. I like to save mine on my desktop.

- Next, go to the website: http://imgur.com/.

- In the upper left hand corner, click on the green button. Click on the words that says "New Post" instead of the little arrow pointing down.

- It will pop up a little frame that says you can browse your computer or drag images here.

- I like to drag the image from my desktop over to the website window inside the little box. Once you do that, it shows you a picture of what you just uploaded and some options.

- You may have to hold your mouse over top of the picture you just uploaded to get the options to pop up but when they do, you want to click on the little arrow pointing down, right next to the word "Copy" in the upper right hand corner. This brings down a little menu with 4 options. Click on the second one that says "Get Share Links"

- This brings up something that looks like this:

- Click on the Blue/Purple button that says copy in the bottom left hand corner under BBCode (Forums). That will actually copy the link for you.

- Last thing you have to do is on the onepocket.org forums, whereever you want the picture to appear, just paste the link you copied. You can do that by either using the keyboard shortcut: CTRL + V or right click and choose Paste.

Walla! Thats all there is to it. It may seem like a lot of steps but once you do it a few times it gets pretty fast and easy.

The reason I like it so much is its free, unlimited and I don't have to register a new account to upload :)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Thank you for that. I had not heard about IM. I wanted me anther place in addition to photo bucket, so I went there as soon as I read your post yesterday and opened an account. It took several hours for them to shoot me back an email that I needed to click for confirmation, but they finally did so, so be patient if you open one. They will send it. After they sent it I browsed for a couple of pictures of J on my pc and went to post pics as a test and previewed it and it worked like a charm, so of course there was no need to actually post them up, because if the preview works, then it works!, But anyway thank you..

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
No prob, happy to help :)

I am not sure what the benefits are of registering since I only use it to post a picture if I need to share it with someone via chat, email, forums, etc.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Thanks for the posting this tutorial CK. I will take a crack at some WWYD's if I can remember to take the damn pics!

Hardmix

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I suppose this has the tools to edit,resize, add verbiage, etc. Just want to make sure as I have another site that does all that.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I suppose this has the tools to edit,resize, add verbiage, etc. Just want to make sure as I have another site that does all that.

I think you can add a title to the photo Rod but not sure about the other things. This site basically just lets you upload unlimited images for free and they hot sit for you. Its not a graphics editor. If I am adding words or arrows or drawing on the picture I just use Paint.

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL

it is almost the same as photobucket.
but better cause you don't have to log in
thanks cincy

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I suppose I don't understand, is this because you don't or can't keep photos on your computer or whatever ?

EDIT: I originally said you couldn't upload an image and attach it directly from your computer but I stand corrected. So whichever method you prefer Rod...

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
When you are posting a pic here for the forums, it has to be hosted someplace. You cant just choose the image from your computer, it asks for a URL. So you will have to upload it to imgur or another place that allows you to host images for free.

I guess I have that and didn't know it. :frus

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
When you are posting a pic here for the forums, it has to be hosted someplace. You cant just choose the image from your computer, it asks for a URL. So you will have to upload it to imgur or another place that allows you to host images for free.

Not true, I've always been able to post images to the forum that either reside on my computer or on my iphone. I've never needed to use third party website or software unless I am editing the picture.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Not true, I've always been able to post images to the forum that either reside on my computer or on my iphone. I've never needed to use third party website or software unless I am editing the picture.
i screen shot the pic with greenshot
edit with text and arrows
then save it to my computer
then retrieve with the "manage attachment" (paper clip icon)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yes. There's different ways to do it. I remember when Larry show me about the paper clip a long time ago. I use greenshit on lots of things, like pool shots, and send it into the greenshit image editor to draw lines and stuff on. I use those host sites as storage like photobucket, so I can remove pictures from my pc. I usually keep only 20 to 30 pictures on the pc. Then I go into the host, and click library, and then the pic and the direct button and it takes no time, EXCEPT, like he said, you have to log in once a day at PB, which I just hit Facebook log in and that's it. Takes just a couple of more seconds. The only hangup is that sometimes PhotoBucket messes with you and gives you ads and popups and is bad to freeze up at certain times. It wants to you go premium which is very cheap, but I've been too nitshit to even do that, as cheap as it is. Let me add that after you hit the direct button, you still have to copy and paste using the yellow mountaintop emblem, but it takes no time to do that..

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I thought when you used the paperclip you got the broken image pic where it doesn't show up, let me try this here:

Edit, ahh ok, 2 things about the paperclip:

1) You still have to upload your picture to a server for it to point to the URL. It's just that on the onepocket.org forums, you are uploading to Steve's server and not to imgur or wherever else you may use.
2) It adds it as an attachment so you cant do inline images like: Text > pic > text > pic...its just the pic will show up at the bottom of the post as an attachment.

But yes, you are correct, you can use the paperclip to get an image on the forums ;)

Attachments

• wwyd 6-6_zps5sj1zmzf.png
    wwyd 6-6_zps5sj1zmzf.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 0

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I thought when you used the paperclip you got the broken image pic where it doesn't show up, let me try this here:

Edit, ahh ok, 2 things about the paperclip:

1) You still have to upload your picture to a server for it to point to the URL. It's just that on the onepocket.org forums, you are uploading to Steve's server and not to imgur or wherever else you may use.
2) It adds it as an attachment so you cant do inline images like: Text > pic > text > pic...its just the pic will show up at the bottom of the post as an attachment.

But yes, you are correct, you can use the paperclip to get an image on the forums ;)

I don't use the paper clip. I use the "Manage Attachments" button and don't need a URL.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
haven't tinkered around with imgur.com

this is how i do it......
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

microsoft "paint" is an easy tool to use to edit pics, draw lines, etc. (just save it as a jpeg when you are done). you can just right click "copy" somebody's wwyd and paste it directly into "paint".

my pc crashed a couple months ago and was able to download "paint xp" for free.

;)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don't use the paper clip. I use the "Manage Attachments" button and don't need a URL.

Manage attachments is off of the paper clip unless you have a different way of getting to it that I cant see but in any case you are still uploading it to the server which then it has a URL like:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15615&stc=1&d=1472083652

However Miller in your other post, you show how to use it inline by clicking on the attachment in the actual post to be able to use it in between text, so good to know :)

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Manage attachments is off of the paper clip unless you have a different way of getting to it that I cant see but in any case you are still uploading it to the server which then it has a URL

it may end up with a server URL (because a copy of the file is uploaded to the server) but the user doesn't need to know it in order to post it. When using the Manage Attachments button, all the user needs to do is browse and upload the file from his computer or phone.

BTW, I think we are saying the same thing, but it seems easier to do with Manage Attachements, than the paper clip

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area