No announcement yet.

Cardone vs. the Professor - 1994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Bill's knowledge today is 10 times more then over 20 years ago. He moves much better now in M.O. Bill was a much better shot maker then.His knowledge today is as good as anybody. That is why they call him Dr.Bill.

Comment

bill smith posted this in the members section

Click image for larger version

Name:	billy grady mr3c.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	393688

Comment

It looks like you can cross bank the one to your side and leave the cue ball on the end rail. It doesn't appear that the stripped ball goes cleanly into Grady's pocket. This is the passive shot of course and the possibility of leaving a cross bank with the one ball into the stack looms large when it's Grady's shot but if you just move the one ball a little bit to mid table your shot should be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by 12squared View Post
          I don't think the 2 is off - it looks like the 9 caroms off the 11 to adjust for the higher path that's needed. But I just wanted to play with you guys anyway so I had to write something. But I do not know which ball is the 13 so I'm confused about your shot. Am I mixing up the balls again?

Dave

Ahh. Sorry. That must be the 11 that I called the 13. My eyes are going.
          Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

Knowing Billy like I do I think he would draw off the 1 ball down behind the 2 balls by Gradys pocket

Comment

Knowledge nugget

Originally posted by jerry matchin View Post
              It looks like you can cross bank the one to your side and leave the cue ball on the end rail. It doesn't appear that the stripped ball goes cleanly into Grady's pocket. This is the passive shot of course and the possibility of leaving a cross bank with the one ball into the stack looms large when it's Grady's shot but if you just move the one ball a little bit to mid table your shot should be successful.
              Nugget alert!

Jerry, I think you've brought up this valuable principle in another thread as well. Crossing a ball and going uptable is a common shot. However, for me at least, I never thought too much about the object ball except to not baby it and leave it on the oppo's side. I imagine I've often sent it close to my side rail without thinking too much.

The nugget here is to consciously leave the obj ball just past the middle of the table, ideally on a line towards your hole w the cue ball, to minimize the bank back opportunities you leave.

Thanks Jerry!

PS This is a hijack, not a comment and this particular situation

Comment

Well, Bill must be busy working, so we'll post his shot. He'd lost the first game, so he may have been wanting to fire a quick win back at Grady for shock and awe value.

He did choose the kiss/combo on the 2 ball, which a few of you mentioned (I think Gold Crown was first). From the camera angle it looked like he had to shoot it backwards. He didn't pussy-foot around with it, and gave it a good smack. I won't illustrate the other balls' paths, but you can see the result.

Name:	Bill 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	393689

Believe it or not, the 2 ball actually caught the corner pocket's lower point a little, causing it to rattle in the pocket, and teeter, but not fall.

Name:	Bill 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	393690

I didn't even see it as a possibility. I probably would have come off the 1 ball, ala Jerry M. Naturally with the balls wide open, Grady was able to complete a workmanlike 8 & out. But Bill did end up winning the match on double hill. Both were gracious, and both complained about their own mediocre prowess in the match.

Jimmy mentioned the Kim Steel tables. At the time, they were considered to be the best made tables. And they are fine tables, but the pocket shelves are a little too shallow. These particular tables had fairly generous pockets with good cloth, so that may have been a reason why many of the players were being aggressive in their shot selections.

~Doc

Comment

He should have played the 13 😁
                  Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                    Really? The 12 would be makeable if you just roll into 6-15, but it doesn't look good enough % to turn the CB loose and move the 10, 2, and 7 (10 toward Bill's pocket.) It's not worth much, but rolling might move the 6 & 15 to positions where everything is doubled up from up table.

You think Grady would have shot that 12?
                    From where the 15 is located, Fireman Casey banks the 12 eight out of ten times and doesn't split open the stack. But Casey probably banks better than Grady

Comment

Working...
                    X