Cardone vs. the Professor - 1994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardone vs. the Professor - 1994

This match was from the 1994 Roanoke One Pocket Championship, played at Guys & Dolls. Even though it was the semifinal match, it was quickly thought to be the grudge match of the Century between two great 1P players and commentators. Buddy Hall and W.W. Woody did the commentating. They were in agreement that the winner would probably send the loser a get well card and flowers...

Grady just broke, leaving Bill in a tricky situation. What did Bill do, and what would YOU do? .....~Doc

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	406156

if you can see enough of the 8 ball, I would shoot it off of the 5 ball and bank it towards my hole while sticking the CB right there on top of the 9.

If I cant see that shot then I am shooting 1 ball with a little low right and come down a few inches between the 2nd and 3rd diamond near the rail.

edit: zooming in closer on the picture, you cant see enough of the 8 to do my shot so I may just bank the 8 towards my hole..hit the 8 and 4 at the same time so the CB stops right there with a little low english
    Last edited by cincy_kid; 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Me...Roll into the 1 and leave the cue on the rail as close to side pocket as possible .. and run out the back the back door. Bill.... top rail, side rail into the 15 or play the 2 ball combo unless the 9 is trapped.
      Last edited by GoldCrown; 10-11-2016, 12:36 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

I think I have that match, but I have not watched it lately. I would expect the doctor to kick off the short rail into the 6 and 15 right now - so that's what I would do, too. We are both much too smart to leave that combination intact. There may be some other way to disturb it also, but it must be done.
        If it ain't funny, it ain't much.

Comment

Seems easy !

[ATTACH]Clipboard01.jpg[/ATTACH]
          Attached Files
          Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
          (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Cardone vs. the Professor - 1994

Stop shot on the 10-6-14 combo bank...attempting pocket speed.
            Edit:Nvmd, doesn't look lined up

Comment

Originally posted by androd View Post
              Seems easy !

This would be my first choice as well ...

Comment

Originally posted by androd View Post
                Seems easy !

That's definitely the shot I *want* to shoot. I just get real worried about the kiss, given the left english. I'd have to be certain when I'm down on the shot that the kiss isn't there. Failing that, I'm going to kick under those two balls at the bottom.
                "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

Comment

i think rods shot has a kiss
                  i think vapros called it first and like my shot
                  diagram not showing final position just the concept

Click image for larger version

Name:	grady 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	393685
                  Last edited by lll; 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Rail first draw to split the 6-15. QB draws to the rail about the 1/2 diamond. Both balls one rail to your side up table. The shot was kinda mentioned but you need a draw stroke otherwise you'll leave a bank on the 12

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                      This match was from the 1994 Roanoke One Pocket Championship, played at Guys & Dolls. Even though it was the semifinal match, it was quickly thought to be the grudge match of the Century between two great 1P players and commentators. Buddy Hall and W.W. Woody did the commentating. They were in agreement that the winner would probably send the loser a get well card and flowers...

Grady just broke, leaving Bill in a tricky situation. What did Bill do, and what would YOU do? .....~Doc

[ATTACH]15883[/ATTACH]
                      I remember this one. Dave Bollman, the golfer, won the tournament.

The 2 might be on. If not, I'd try to split the 6-15 off the bottom rail.

I'm not gonna say who got the flowers after this match..

Comment

i would try a clean out shot. like ten into the combo and give him one ball and send the other two up into his open balls.

or rods shot but send it into the combo.

i would also look to see if you could make that dead comb go backwards to his pocket.

against good players playing tick tick gets you broke. it only works against people that only make one or two balls at a time.

Comment

Shooting the 1 and leaving the CB on the rail to replace it. Just making sure not to hit it so hard that the 1 makes it to the bottom rail for a 2 rail to his hole. My other shot would be Rod's. Not confident enough in my draw kick to shoot JTOM's shot.

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post

[ATTACH]15883[/ATTACH]
                            If the 9 ball kisses off the 11 to make the 2, which looks on from the picture, I would hit a high ball hitting the 4 ball first caroming into the 9 making the 2 ball and continuing forward scattering the balls. You almost have to get a 2nd shot I would think.

Either one of these guys would not hesitate to shoot a shot like this if it was on.

Dave
                            Last edited by 12squared; 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
                              i think rods shot has a kiss
                              i think vapros called it first and like my shot
                              diagram not showing final position just the cncept

[ATTACH]15885[/ATTACH]
                              As I said before, I might still do this. But it's concerning because I'm likely to leave a strong return--skimming off the 12--that would put me in a tough spot inside the stack.

Instead of bumping them, if I couldn't shoot Rod's shot, I think I'd try to nestle right on them to hopefully (1) limit his options and (2) make the combo off-angle. JTom could probably execute his shot of hitting this one hard, but I'm scared to try that.
                              "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X