Cardone vs. the Professor - 1994

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This match was from the 1994 Roanoke One Pocket Championship, played at Guys & Dolls. Even though it was the semifinal match, it was quickly thought to be the grudge match of the Century between two great 1P players and commentators. Buddy Hall and W.W. Woody did the commentating. They were in agreement that the winner would probably send the loser a get well card and flowers...:D

Grady just broke, leaving Bill in a tricky situation. What did Bill do, and what would YOU do? .....~Doc

Bill 1.jpg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
if you can see enough of the 8 ball, I would shoot it off of the 5 ball and bank it towards my hole while sticking the CB right there on top of the 9.

If I cant see that shot then I am shooting 1 ball with a little low right and come down a few inches between the 2nd and 3rd diamond near the rail.

edit: zooming in closer on the picture, you cant see enough of the 8 to do my shot so I may just bank the 8 towards my hole..hit the 8 and 4 at the same time so the CB stops right there with a little low english

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Me...Roll into the 1 and leave the cue on the rail as close to side pocket as possible .. and run out the back the back door. Bill.... top rail, side rail into the 15 or play the 2 ball combo unless the 9 is trapped.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think I have that match, but I have not watched it lately. I would expect the doctor to kick off the short rail into the 6 and 15 right now - so that's what I would do, too. We are both much too smart to leave that combination intact. There may be some other way to disturb it also, but it must be done. :D

youngstown

Verified Member

Stop shot on the 10-6-14 combo bank...attempting pocket speed.
Edit:Nvmd, doesn't look lined up

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Seems easy !

That's definitely the shot I *want* to shoot. I just get real worried about the kiss, given the left english. I'd have to be certain when I'm down on the shot that the kiss isn't there. Failing that, I'm going to kick under those two balls at the bottom.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think rods shot has a kiss
i think vapros called it first and like my shot
diagram not showing final position just the concept

grady 1.jpg

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Rail first draw to split the 6-15. QB draws to the rail about the 1/2 diamond. Both balls one rail to your side up table. The shot was kinda mentioned but you need a draw stroke otherwise you'll leave a bank on the 12

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
This match was from the 1994 Roanoke One Pocket Championship, played at Guys & Dolls. Even though it was the semifinal match, it was quickly thought to be the grudge match of the Century between two great 1P players and commentators. Buddy Hall and W.W. Woody did the commentating. They were in agreement that the winner would probably send the loser a get well card and flowers...:D

Grady just broke, leaving Bill in a tricky situation. What did Bill do, and what would YOU do? .....~Doc

View attachment 15883

I remember this one. Dave Bollman, the golfer, won the tournament.

The 2 might be on. If not, I'd try to split the 6-15 off the bottom rail.

I'm not gonna say who got the flowers after this match.. :)

beatle

Verified Member
i would try a clean out shot. like ten into the combo and give him one ball and send the other two up into his open balls.

or rods shot but send it into the combo.

i would also look to see if you could make that dead comb go backwards to his pocket.

against good players playing tick tick gets you broke. it only works against people that only make one or two balls at a time.

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
Shooting the 1 and leaving the CB on the rail to replace it. Just making sure not to hit it so hard that the 1 makes it to the bottom rail for a 2 rail to his hole. My other shot would be Rod's. Not confident enough in my draw kick to shoot JTOM's shot.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

View attachment 15883

If the 9 ball kisses off the 11 to make the 2, which looks on from the picture, I would hit a high ball hitting the 4 ball first caroming into the 9 making the 2 ball and continuing forward scattering the balls. You almost have to get a 2nd shot I would think.

Either one of these guys would not hesitate to shoot a shot like this if it was on.

Dave

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
i think rods shot has a kiss
i think vapros called it first and like my shot
diagram not showing final position just the cncept

View attachment 15885

As I said before, I might still do this. But it's concerning because I'm likely to leave a strong return--skimming off the 12--that would put me in a tough spot inside the stack.

Instead of bumping them, if I couldn't shoot Rod's shot, I think I'd try to nestle right on them to hopefully (1) limit his options and (2) make the combo off-angle. JTom could probably execute his shot of hitting this one hard, but I'm scared to try that.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

If the 9 ball kisses of the 11 to make the 2, which looks on from the picture, I would hit a high ball hitting the 4 ball first caroming into the 9 making the 2 ball and continuing forward scattering the balls. You almost have to get a 2nd shot I would think.

Either one of these guys would not hesitate to shoot a shot like this if it was on.

Dave

I think the 2 is off by a hair. But look at the 13 off the 10. Similar shot but the 13 goes. If your gambling and can always play more games. In a limited game tournament, I think there are easier, safer options here but the 13 and getting on the other side of the stack would be very tempting. I think the 8 is also banking towards your hole after the cue comes off the 9. Im liking like this shot more and more heh.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think the 2 is off by a hair. But look at the 13 off the 10. Similar shot but the 13 goes. If your gambling and can always play more games. In a limited game tournament, I think there are easier, safer options here but the 13 and getting on the other side of the stack would be very tempting. I think the 8 is also banking towards your hole after the cue comes off the 9. Im liking like this shot more and more heh.

I agree that the 2 is off and the 13 may go but geez, if you dont make that 13, you are in serious trouble ;)

The 10 goes into his combo and you are going to leave him a shot somewhere guaranteed and it may be lights out!

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would shoot androds 10 ball bank shot, pocket speed, if I could get past the combo for sure.
Otherwise just bank the 1 ball to my side and draw the cueball down frozen to the rail between the 3 and 2 1/2 diamonds.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I agree that the 2 is off and the 13 may go but geez, if you dont make that 13, you are in serious trouble ;)

The 10 goes into his combo and you are going to leave him a shot somewhere guaranteed and it may be lights out!

You are right Chris. Much like women... shots that look good at 3:00AM, don't always look as appetizing when you wake up 😂.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Rods shot looks speed sensitive but doable if left short of the pocket.. No kiss, but the angle is steep and if you try to make the 12 ball you could easily lose the CB.

Attempting anything like making the 2 or the 13 off the 9 ball from here is suicide, the 2 might go if the CB was on the other side of the stack and the 13 is coming way short.

Kicking with a good draw stroke into those two balls by his pocket is a good option, but he's gonna thin the 12 and put you in the stack...

I can't see the angle exactly, but if the CB and the 12 are lined up right, I might just two rail the 12 ball under and around the 6/15 and follow the CB to a position in back of the 6/15, thereby making him come off the combo or kick into the stack taking a foul... If that's not there, I'm prolly crossing the 12 with less than pocket speed, getting a ball on my side and covering up is prolly the strongest option.