No announcement yet.

Jersey Red vs. Bob Ogburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching "Black Bart" play, I know he likes traps. I'm thinking of banking the fourteen into the eight or one of those in that cluster and putting my cue behind the other balls on the bottom rail. I also like the carom although there may not be enough room to make it.
    Coyotes, Eagles, and Deer, oh my!

Comment

down 6 to zip i am looking to make a ball on the next shot. that may be the lead ball in that 3 ball combo sitting there. up and down the table, off the 8 first or between the two balls and make it.

or the long bank or bank the 8 into one of the other balls and try to sh++t one in and leave him tough. if i sell out i rack them for the next game. if i dont i can near run out or get it even.

lots of possibilities and to each his own on this one

Comment

Jersey Red vs. Bob Ogburn

Playing off the 14 looks too tricky for controlling the cue ball; drawing back or following 3 rails. If that's what he did, I'd like to see a clip of it. I'd be hoping to learn something new about how to move whitey.

I think I'd be looking hard at Cincy's carom shot if I was smart enough in that moment to see that idea. It looks to me though that instead of running english, it may need a little reverse to kill the speed in order to stay under the 2,7, & 11 balls.

Comment

In observance of the unofficial "Cardone 24 hour rule", Bob's shot will be posted so as to invite further discussion.

Bob looked over this layout for a good 5 minutes. Presumably he studied each possible choice. He got down on a short table shot twice, then pulled up. He ended up following the 10 ball, trying to place the CB up by the far corner pocket. Unfortunately the aim or speed was a smidge off, which caused the CB to scratch in the pocket by which he wanted to leave it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob-Red 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	393832

Had he accomplished the shot, the leave would have been pretty fair, although Red might have been able to cut in the 11-- especially with side boards.

Here's the result of Bob's shot, showing Red pulling the CB out of the corner pocket, and Bob looking on. Surprisingly Red didn't run two and out. He made the 11, but drew the CB too far over, and got corner hooked in Bob's hole. But he went on to win in the next inning or two:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob-Red 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	393833

Red was past his prime at 61, but it was obvious watching the DVD that he still had the fire and the knowledge. However Red only beat Bob by 5-4 in a VERY tight match.

The problem for we who watch this 25 years later is that the Murray table had bucket pockets, so there was more shooting than moving.

Unfortunately there was no cookie winner as regards Bob's shot. But I think that a few guys should certainly get a Jelly Bean for their suggestions. Billy J's and others' idea of banking the 14 back glancing off the cluster while drawing the CB safe was a good one. Likewise Beatle's suggestion of banking the 8 off the side rail into stuff was good. That's probably the shot I'd have tried.

I doubt that the carom shot on the 12 was "on". If it were, Bob would have considered it. Maybe he did, we'll never know...

~Doc

Comment

Yes, I have that match in the closet.. Good one Doc.. Great work..
            "Born Into This"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
              Yes, I have that match in the closet.. Good one Doc.. Great work..
              Haven't seen it but Red told me they both played horrible.
              Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
              (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                . He got down on a short table shot twice, then pulled up. He ended up following the 10 ball, trying to place the CB up by the far corner pocket. Unfortunately the aim or speed was a smidge off, which caused the CB to scratch in the pocket by which he wanted to leave it.
                I think the reason he scratched is that he had to cut the 10 slightly to the left to be sure it got under the 13 rather than coming off the 13 toward Red's pocket, which is what I would have been afraid of.

Comment

Thanks for the WWYD doc!

Comment

absolute disaster shot for bob there. as he gave up a real chance of winning for a shot that does little and a sellout that cost him the game.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
                      absolute disaster shot for bob there. as he gave up a real chance of winning for a shot that does little and a sellout that cost him the game.
                      You're right. I'm not sure why he chose that shot, although he might have believed that Red wouldn't shoot the 11 (by Red's hole) from the position of the upper pocket.

He also may have been afraid of leaving Red a bank if he tried a short table shot. My guess is that Bob was not a super experienced 1P player at that time, although I could be wrong. RA and Kelly had been tearing it up for quite awhile, and Cliff and then Efren were just coming into dominance in 1P.

~Doc

Comment

yea doc, we give sometimes credit to great players for being more than great shooters. many of them werent good one pocket players or really smart enough to be good at it in the first place. that is not a reflection on bob as i never met him. but he must have come around to beat all of our world beater seniors.

Comment

Working...
                        X