Cue Sticks

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Wouldn't some of us old timers like to have some of the cues that have past through our hands over the years. I doubt I have ever owned a cue more than a few years. I have played with Tad's, Gina's, Joss West and East, along with many many others. Sold some, traded some, lost some and also won a few. I won Ernesto Dominguez Gina Cue twice. A nice Merry Widow with five shafts. I gave it to Indian Joe Monzingo, owner of the Golden Cue where I played.

I sold a nice Tad for $120 to my friend Frank The Barber so he could give it to his son for his birthday. I know some of you have had the same cues forever. Billy Pence at Hard Times has had his Gina for over 30 years. It is worth thousands now and probably cost less than $200 new.

I currently own a Bobby Hunter and a Mezz. I got the Hunter from Kentucky Bill who has quite a collection and buys in bulk to get good prices.:D You see quite a few Mezz Cues around Northern CA. The Mezz West tour auctions off a cue at every tournament and after three years and several tournaments you see quite a few of them. Oscar Dominguez, who runs the tour with his wife, also sells them.

After purchasing a used Mezz from Jeff Gregory, who buys them right and sells at a fair price, I started playing with the Mezz because my Hunter went to Proficient Billiards for refinishing. The Mezz cue was easy to adjust to after playing with the Hunter for quite a while. I believe they are the best production cue available, having played with Predator, Dominiak and others.

Why do I feel this way? Because a I have booked four winners in a row with the Mezz. :D Four or five losses and I could be looking for something new. I am a sucker for anything new that I think might help my one pocket game. I have tried no ferrule low deflection shafts ( Great for spinning in thin cut shots on that ball that sneaks out on the break), almost every shaft Predator and OB make, different length and weight mid cue extensions, and of course the next new invention that comes out there to help my game will end up in my case.

What I really need to play better is a brain transplant.:lol I hope they are available before I get too old, so I can move like Ronnie Allen and shoot like SVB.:eek:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
What I really need to play better is a brain transplant.:lol I hope they are available before I get too old, so I can move like Ronnie Allen and shoot like SVB.:eek:

If you get that done have 'em save the old one for me... my dream is to play like one of your bad days. :p

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I have been playing with a Mezz for about 18 months. I cracked a farell and had a local cue maker replace it. I am not sure what he used, maybe ivorine, but the hit is much firmer now which I like.

Ben

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have been playing with a Mezz for about 18 months. I cracked a farell and had a local cue maker replace it. I am not sure what he used, maybe ivorine, but the hit is much firmer now which I like.

Ben

I changed from the low deflection WX 700 shaft to the standard hard maple shaft. I seem to play better with it than the low deflection shaft.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cue Sticks

Great topic. My favorite cue of all time was a wrapless Scruggs with ambonya burl and lots of ivory. I sold it a few years ago to pay for my sons daycare that month. Still hurts. I have been playing with a ferrulless shaft (BB) for a few years and you are right about the spin shots and extreme English. Once I got used to low deflection, I really like it. Soon I will be looking to upgrade my eyes though, as they are quickly becoming yesterday's model.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
When I stopped playing back in the mid 90's I sold my Southwest. That's one I wish I would have hung on to.

Some time this week or next I should be getting my Merry Widow back from Mike lambros. I sent it back to him to see if he could liven up that shafts a bit.

Ben

beatle

Verified Member
still got my cues from the 1960's forward. plus a couple old 100 year conversions. still straight and shoot fine.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I bought a used Runde ebony/ivory Schon in 1992 at Strawberry's tournament outside of Washington DC and still play with it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I've had 1 Rambow, sold it in Miami for $150.00 after a month of betting on the wrong dogs at the track... Big mistake!

1 Ginacue made by Ernie Guiterrez in his garage when he first started making cues, mother of pearl, ebony and ivory inlays, beautiful cue, really hit nice, stolen at Daisy Mae's in 1969, but I did get closure on where it went...

1 Russ Espiritu that also hit really well, sold it to flyboy for $800.00 after a hard night at the poker table... Lost $200.00 on it...

Playing with a $116.00 Players production cue now with a Mezz shaft and a Kamui SS clear tip... I bought it in May of last year because it felt solid and hit good... Plus I didn't know if my return to pool was going to last more than a few days, so I didn't buy a high dollar custom cue....

I just bought another cue on Ebay because I liked the look of it... It's a McDermott S1 Star... It's just a plain vanilla sneaky Pete with a SS butt cap, but I just have a feeling about it, I think it's gonna hit really good... I had the single shaft it comes with turned down to 12.5 mm and had a Kamui SS clear tip put on... Should be here in a week or so, paid $144.00 out the door. Another cheap cue, I'm still not sure how long I'm gonna stick with it...

bstroud

Verified Member
My first cue was a Willie Hoppi that I bought at the Brunswick store in Dallas for 17.95. Not positive but I think Alfie Taylor was with me. Took the leather wrap off and hand wound a linen grip.

Decided I wanted a Rambo so I bought one at Johnson City from Boots Maples for 100.00 with a Brunswick case. Kept it for a time.

Tried a few Palmer and Paradise cues but never liked the way they played.

Bought a Balabushka from Ritchie Ambrose at the Billiard den for 125.00. It was too thin and not a very good cue.

Finally got a good Balabushka like the one Jimmy Moore had with the MOP dots in the back. It was a great playing cue and I kept it for a long time.

When on the road with Dan Janes we both ordered cues from Dick Helmsteder in Chicago. Both were simple 4 point Hoppi style ebony cues. I played with it until I started making cues.

Bill S.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
My first cue was a Rich for $32 in the mid 60's. I was making $42.50 a week. Sold it for a Doc Frye and sold that for a different Doc Frye. Would like to have the Rich and original Doc. I never sold anything after that...I still have the Doc and do not use it as I never really liked it as player. It is in excellent condition.
Doc was the world's nicest person. He would invite you to his house to see your cues progress. The man was a master craftsman. His cues were one thing. His rifle stocks were another story. He came into Cue and Cushion on Cottman St. in Phila with Miz once in a while.

Attachments

• Doc Frye.jpg
    Doc Frye.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Doc Frye .jpg
    Doc Frye .jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Wouldn't some of us old timers like to have some of the cues that have past through our hands over the years. I doubt I have ever owned a cue more than a few years. I have played with Tad's, Gina's, Joss West and East, along with many many others. Sold some, traded some, lost some and also won a few. I won Ernesto Dominguez Gina Cue twice. A nice Merry Widow with five shafts. I gave it to Indian Joe Monzingo, owner of the Golden Cue where I played.
You know it, bro. I bought a Tad from the house man at Mr. Pockets (Lou?) in 1968 for $60. When I left L.A. in '71 I sold it for $65. Who says cues don't appreciate??:D Probably worth several thousand now.

I also bought a plain birdseye cue from my old 3C acquaintance Burt Shrager in the '80s. He told me a guy had ordered it and never picked it up, so he sold me the cue with two shafts and case for $175. That one I still have, so if I'm ever able to take up billiards again I'll be all set. I'd guess the pole is worth a smidge more that $175 now...

Today I use an old Phillippi. It's a good stick. No tellin' what a good player could do with it.:cool:

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If I get well enough for the trip, expect me at California Billiards next week. I'm bring some of my cues with me, about 16-20. Maybe I'll trade with you for a Mezz I have and the Hunter you have. Yes you can make payments, up to January 2050 when I plan to retire again.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
So many cues Bill! :)

My first cue was a Meucci (probably paid $150 or so for it) and I had just started getting more serious about playing pool. I was entering tournaments and gambling cheap (only playing 8 ball and 9 ball at the time, had not even heard of 1 pocket yet).

I remember being at Beechmont Billiards and got hustled for the first time in my life. Played some guy some 8b for like $5 a game and he let me win a few and then raised the bet. End result, I lose my cue to him and walk out busted, good lesson though - I learned that sometimes people can lay down and act like they play worse than they do, hehe....(for the record that guy was Vince Means for those that know him...)

From there I think my next 2 cues were both Sherm Cues. It was early on in his cue making career and I was a buddy so I think my first one I got cheap for around $300 and I loved it. I cant remember if I sold it or traded it, but I had it for a while. Later on I ended up doing a trade with Sherm to get another cue in exchange for making his website at the time and dont remember what happened to that cue either but I probably sold it when I stopped playing pool for 20 years.

That was about all I played with back then (Sherm, Meucci and maybe a McDermott sneaky pete for a bit) so I dont have much experience with different kinds of cues really.

Fast forward to today, I play with a Schuler (by Noel Mendoza). Noel is the only one authorized to make Schuler Cues any more since Ray passed away. Ray was / Noel is a 3 cushion cue maker in the Chicago area and I did a trade with him also. A cue in exchange for doing his website. It has 2 shafts (one for 3c and one for 1p) and I have been pretty happy with it over all.

Maybe one of these days I can talk Sherm into coming out of retirement and making me a "cincy_kid special" Sherm Cue for old times sake. Gary Spaeth played with a Sherm Cue too so it would kind of be like paying homage to my old friend / hero if I start playing with one again and end up knocking off the Derby one of these years!

(A man can dream right?) :D

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I don't know the story about the "pink panther", but the hit is solid and the cue plays good...He handed it to me one time when I visited California...LOL

B

RedCard

Verified Member
The guy who has essentially remade and maintained my Sneaky Pete called this morning and just brought it by after having it a couple of days for ding removal and other minor tweaks. Nice guy, has 2 lathes and does perfect work. I did some charity-related stuff for him the past few months & he wouldn't take any money so I sailed a $20 through the window of his car, much as you'd do with a lit cigarette to someone who had offended you, he gave up and smiled.

When he called he said he would like for me to play some with him this afternoon at the bar he hangs out at. He doesn't think he can beat me and I don't think he can learn anything from me. My level-headed wife has assured me he has no angle and reminded me I'm much too cynical.

Jeff: I was sporadically tracking your Gina up until a few months ago. Found out some more about its travels/'owners' and approximately when your name was removed from it.