need help with cue

rams

Suspended
I recently had pechauer make a new shaft for my cue because the original was warped. I had them match the taper but it doesn't play nearly as well. It is obviously too flimsly, it's like a meucci. What custom cue maker would match a good shaft to my cue. What taper,etc. should I get? Should I just go ahead and get another custom cue? Most cues seem like junk to me. For the record good playing cues include older helmstetters, older schons, etc. I don't want to adjust to a predator shaft- I had one before and it isn't consistent for me. I'm really frustrated with cues. I"m sure that if I bought a dozen different custom cues on ebay eventually I would like one, but obviously I don't want to do that. I'm an A player about to quit because of this, which sounds ridiculous, but its true. I'd appreciate any help.

Twoods

From
Mesa, AZ
New Shaft ?

New Shaft ?

I can not say enough nice things about the TigerX laminated shaft. It hits solid and plays very much like an old growth maple shaft. It does seem to spin the ball a little bit more but certainly not enough to require an adjustment. I also use an older cue (Falcon) and the TigerX shaft matches up perfect with the Schon.

rams

Suspended
hmmm

hmmm

Well I don't want a predator or any laminated shaft either. Tiger x shaft is laminated. With all the help and replies to this post I'm overwhelmed. lol. Well I guess nobody would want to help anyone else because they keep their trade secrets. That, my friends, is why pool will never be a mainstream sport. Nobody shares any knowledge to progress the game.

desert1pocket

Verified Member
From
Az
I don't know where you are located, but the cuemakers I would talk to are Judd in SW colorado and Scott Whisler in Phoenix. There are many quality cue makers who would be able to help you out, but you will never get a shaft that plays exactly like the original.

Twoods

From
Mesa, AZ
TigerX Shafts

TigerX Shafts

rams said:
Well I don't want a predator or any laminated shaft either. Tiger x shaft is laminated. With all the help and replies to this post I'm overwhelmed. lol. Well I guess nobody would want to help anyone else because they keep their trade secrets. That, my friends, is why pool will never be a mainstream sport. Nobody shares any knowledge to progress the game.

I was hoping to convey that the TigerX shafts, although laminated, play like a conventional shaft requiring little or no adjustment. Senor Desert1Pocket is correct-check out Scott Whislers website - great cuemaker, great guy.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Help with cue

Help with cue

Call Bob Rundy. He isn't the ONLY cue maker in America or the world--just the best. If he will make you a cue, I guarentee you'll never want another.

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
I recommend you try to get ahold of Dennis Searing...or maybe even David Jacoby. Either of those guys could make you a jam up shaft that plays just the way you want. Dennis is pretty busy these days, but David could probably hook you up quicker.

Shorty

rams

Suspended
thx for the help

thx for the help

jacoby? I don't want a cue that goes for 80 dollars on ebay new. Runde? is he still alive? I have heard that the tiger x shafts play exactly like predator shafts. Does tiger x require adjustment for the deflection difference, or whyever they play different, like predators do?

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
.....lol......here's a "TRADE SECRET" for ya....

.....lol......here's a "TRADE SECRET" for ya....

....I say ...."give me a House Cue and 20 minutes to get the hit down....and I'll play anyone in the HOUSE"......lol....it's all in your head.....just gotta be smarter than a piece of wood.....lol...good luck in your Quest.....I been lookin' for the perfect combination....for 46 years....yet you can get me to put any of 'em in the POT...if the odds are right......and I'll use the Broomstick.....lol.....

rams

Suspended
whatever

whatever

The cue is a factor. Why do you think good players play with the same cue for 10, 20, or more years? Why do you think that efren wouldn't sell his cue that he got for 100 bucks for 10 grand? Because it's important to your game to have a stick that works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
New Shaft

New Shaft

Check Out Obcues.com They Sell The Ob-1 Shaft
Unbelievable Puts Predator To Shame This Shaft When It Catches Is Going To Put Predator Out Of Business I Absolutely Hate The Predator So I Thought I Could Get By With Normal Shafts Then I Shot With The Ob-1 Hope It Works Out For You

ChicagoRJ

Verified Member
From
St. Charles, IL
Try the Best Cue

Try the Best Cue

Are you still interested in cues? Why not try a Schuler. Go to their shop in Palatine (chicago suburb) and hit a few balls. Or find an authorized Schuler sales dealer near you. Schuler makes 10 different shaft sizes, 4 or which are geared towards pocket billiards. From flex/soft hits to firm/hard hits, you choose what is best for your style of shooting. The well regarded joint makes the cue feel like a one piece cue. Obviously, I'm a little biased since I own three, but Robert Byrnes, the author and pool expert calls it the best cue in the world, and he is not a paid endorser for Schuler. Of course, if you could find an original signed Schuler (he died in 2002) that would be the best option, but any Schuler shaft will fit and Schuler butt. So try one on for size, and see what works best for you. Of course, being a Chicago boy, we are lucky that we have three of the worlds best cue makers right here... The other two being Cognoscenti (Joe Gold) and Joel Hercek Cues. I believe Gold and Hercek both have waiting lists, I still have four more years to wait for my Hercek. good luck......