Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cincy_kid gets eaten by The Lion

Originally posted by wgcp View Post
    If you want to see an effective pause stroke...watch Brumback hit balls...same exacting stroke every time...almost the same speed...

B

John Morra is another great example.

Comment

Thanks again guys for the advice on the pause. I for sure notice JB doing it and I am sure some others would come to mind too. The problem is I don't have much table time so I think what I will do is continue doing what I am doing and try to focus on slowing the stroke down a bit especially near the end as John suggested. Because now, when I do get a few hours to go play, I would rather get in action than practice. Then whenever I get my own table again, I will have plenty of time to practice this and other things so I can try to improve my game/stroke.

Comment

Nice experince Cincy, thanks for sharing.

As for pausing on the stroke, I know a lot of great and pro players do that, but some do not. Warren Kiamco is one that does not seem to have much if any pause. I guess we can all use improvement, but maybe a pause is not necessary for all players?

Be well,

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by jalapus logan View Post
          Nice experince Cincy, thanks for sharing.

As for pausing on the stroke, I know a lot of great and pro players do that, but some do not. Warren Kiamco is one that does not seem to have much if any pause. I guess we can all use improvement, but maybe a pause is not necessary for all players?

Be well,

Neil
          Thanks Neil! Yea, I have seen many that don't pause but I am also open to things that may improve my play

PS - we need to connect again at JB's or Michael's. Still pretty busy here but hopefully a weekend in March I can make it happen, let me know!

Comment

John, your point is well taken. Again, from my days in bowling, I have told many students that if you can do it the same way every time, you can learn to be a fairly competent performer.
            If it ain't funny, it ain't much.

Comment

Chris,

I just looked at your clip w/the Lion. I think if you made that bank after making a nice shot, you would have won that game and who knows what happens next. You had him, man. It's funny, but last year I had trouble with those short angle banks on that equipment, too. I wonder what was different? I don't play enough to know.

Again, he was yours but you let him get away. So in the future simply put into practice the 3 D's: Don't Do Dat!

Dave

Comment

[QUOTE=gulfportdoc;202022][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Starting from a pause, there's a higher likelihood of following through, which prevents a poke or jab. What's the point of following through? Accuracy.

~Doc

Plus instant visual feedback of your mental/physical ''feel'' of the ball collisions.
                Bill Meacham
                WBT
                www.worldbilliardtour.com
                no link....

Comment

Originally posted by 12squared View Post
                  Chris,

I just looked at your clip w/the Lion. I think if you made that bank after making a nice shot, you would have won that game and who knows what happens next. You had him, man. It's funny, but last year I had trouble with those short angle banks on that equipment, too. I wonder what was different? I don't play enough to know.

Again, he was yours but you let him get away. So in the future simply put into practice the 3 D's: Don't Do Dat!

Dave
                  Thanks Dave I don't know if I would have won the game if I made that bank but I feel like I would have gotten a few more balls. Really, what I should have done was when I shot that first ball, hit it a little harder and come back up for the 11 instead of the bank and saved the bank when I got out of line...but you live and learn right?

As far as the banks coming up short, I would say partially because of what someone else posted in another thread. Maybe your adrenaline is pumping and you hit it a little too hard and the ball ends up stiffing...who knows. If I was going to shoot the bank again I would have used some high RHE instead and played it pocket speed...

Also, good point on the follow through Bill. You always follow through no matter what sport you are doing (baseball bat swing, tennis racket swing, etc.) so doing it in pool is just as important. I remember I used to do practice drills where I made sure after shooting the shot that my tip was touching the table to promote a better follow through. This is when I was playing more 9 ball so I think some of the "touch" shots or bunts I play in 1p has ruined my stroke a bit

Comment

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                    Thanks Dave I don't know if I would have won the game if I made that bank but I feel like I would have gotten a few more balls. Really, what I should have done was when I shot that first ball, hit it a little harder and come back up for the 11 instead of the bank and saved the bank when I got out of line...but you live and learn right?

As far as the banks coming up short, I would say partially because of what someone else posted in another thread. Maybe your adrenaline is pumping and you hit it a little too hard and the ball ends up stiffing...who knows. If I was going to shoot the bank again I would have used some high RHE instead and played it pocket speed...

Also, good point on the follow through Bill. You always follow through no matter what sport you are doing (baseball bat swing, tennis racket swing, etc.) so doing it in pool is just as important. I remember I used to do practice drills where I made sure after shooting the shot that my tip was touching the table to promote a better follow through. This is when I was playing more 9 ball so I think some of the "touch" shots or bunts I play in 1p has ruined my stroke a bit
                    If you are talikng about that first cross corner you missed, I was hitting them short that way in NOLA. I was very frustrated. I have since learned that it was my aiming/ball striking more than the Diamond table. English had nothing to do with it. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
                      If you are talikng about that first cross corner you missed, I was hitting them short that way in NOLA. I was very frustrated. I have since learned that it was my aiming/ball striking more than the Diamond table. English had nothing to do with it. JMO
                      Yea that one...you are probably right John about my aiming. I figure if I would have used RHE and pocket speed though, if I missed it would be harder for him to escape.

Comment

If I recall Alex left him down by his pocket and Chris shot a bank carom and another shot get to where the vid starts.
                        My phone filled up so I had to delete some things to make space.
                        I tried the pause before stroking, it makes me tense up, It makes me fell like I need to add power, if that makes sense.
                        I'm glad everybody likes it. J
                        "I'm gettin worse everyday and right now
                        I'm playing like it's next year"

Comment

Originally posted by JeaLouS44 View Post
                          If I recall Alex left him down by his pocket and Chris shot a bank carom and another shot get to where the vid starts.
                          My phone filled up so I had to delete some things to make space.
                          I tried the pause before stroking, it makes me tense up, It makes me fell like I need to add power, if that makes sense.
                          I'm glad everybody likes it. J
                          Thanks again John ~

I wish I would have had that 2 minute clip (I think it was game 2) where I made my best shot of the match and froze him behind a ball by his pocket and banked a ball to open up some balls by my own pocket.

Alex said (and I quote)..."uh oh...somebody's in trouble"..

that made the whole event worth it for me hehe

(he escaped by the way no problem but it was nice to hear him say that after one of my shots)

Comment

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                            Thanks again John ~

I wish I would have had that 2 minute clip (I think it was game 2) where I made my best shot of the match and froze him behind a ball by his pocket and banked a ball to open up some balls by my own pocket.

Alex said (and I quote)..."uh oh...somebody's in trouble"..

that made the whole event worth it for me hehe

(he escaped by the way no problem but it was nice to hear him say that after one of my shots)
                            "uh oh...somebody's in trouble"..
                            he could of meant you ...........just kidding cincy
                            i couldnt resist...

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
                              "uh oh...somebody's in trouble"..
                              he could of meant you ...........just kidding cincy
                              i couldnt resist...
                              hehe, so true...so true...

Comment

Working...
                              X