cincy_kid gets eaten by The Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cincy_kid gets eaten by The Lion

Well first off, thanks to Jealous John for recording this for me on his phone, I really appreciate it!

This was from the DCC last month, I drew the Lion first round and this was the final 9 minutes of game 1.

I debated with myself, going back and forth on whether I should post this or not because as you will see if you watch it...my game play is quite embarrassing

Every single inning I got to the table I made a mistake. Whether it was bad ball pattern running or scratching or whatever the case was, I just played bad. I can look at everything I did in this video and comment on what I should have done, but it's pretty obvious most times so I will refrain from doing so.

I am sure I was a little nervous playing one of the best players in the world but I was really hoping to at least show him a little bit of what I was capable of but I failed this time... (maybe next year!)

I was happy to at least have this video clip from our match because that's worth the entry fee to me (being able to play some of the best players in the world) so I thought I might as well share it with you all so you can see how bad I really play.

Enjoy ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6LV...ature=youtu.be

chris
    you sure got some bad rolls.....
    how did you get to have the cue ball in the middle of the table with an open shot at the start of the video ?
    you must have done something right...
    did alex talk much to you during or after the match?
    that video is priceless to you
    something you will always have

larry

Comment

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I remember i went to Canada to visit a friend. We played pool and a guy came up to us after hearing I was a good player from out of town. He set up a game to play Alex at another location. We arrive at the upstairs of a pool room and the place is packed. I showed my ass and Alex got paid. The experience certainly did not make me a worse player...although I lost I enjoyed the opportunity to play. After that I figured anyone I played couldn't beat me any worse than Alex did and I held my own a little bit.

Hopefully you took away some positive or mental notes that will carry you into future matches.
      Live long and play strong,
      -Chicagomike

Comment

don't get down on yourself, i see you have some game, i would be very nervous like you were, playing him...... watching your stroke, i wonder if youve ever thought of a pause before your last stroke ala buddy or jb? i think it would really help your game if you learned to incorporate that......

Comment

Larry - Yea, I may have gotten a couple of bad rolls but it also probably wouldn't have mattered in this particular match -- No, I did not really have a chance to talk with him afterwards, I wish I would have. Jealous John who was recording this video did set up a shot and asked him his advice on it but I should have probably engaged in a conversation with him....next time!

Mike - Good story and good advice. I guess everyone you play after Alex should be easier huh?

PIB - Thanks I appreciate that! You know, I have never considered the pause before. I have seen others do it but it seems to me if I paused before the stroke, then my aiming would be off. I kind of rely on the repetition of the stroke being in line with how I shoot so its like I keep pumping it, aiming at the same place until I fire it (if that makes sense).

Comment

In the world of bowling, when I was finally through with it, I had the nagging feeling that I should have done better in several singles events in which I had made the finals and then suffered a letdown and failed to win a title. Looking back, (which is much too late), I think it showed a lack of the necessary drive at the end. It is too easy to decide you have already had a good tourney, when the truth is you haven't had shit if you don't finish it. A finals match is a whole new event, and should be regarded that way. Both satisfaction and fatigue must be put aside for later. That's what I decided, anyway. In doubles and team competition, my approach just seemed to be much better and more successful. It's like sex, if you will. Subconsciously you save up enough strength to see you through those last nine strokes.

Error - this post was intended to be for jrhendy's thread. I don't know how to move it.
            Last edited by vapros; 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM.
            If it ain't funny, it ain't much.

Comment

Way to step up Cincy. RE the pause. I pause so long I have developed stroke-apnea 😂. I am a fan of the pause.
              Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                Way to step up Cincy. RE the pause. I pause so long I have developed stroke-apnea 😂. I am a fan of the pause.
                I'm in favor of a pause.... NOT a nap.

Comment

what does the pause do for you exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                    Well first off, thanks to Jealous John for recording this for me on his phone, I really appreciate it!

This was from the DCC last month, I drew the Lion first round and this was the final 9 minutes of game 1.

I debated with myself, going back and forth on whether I should post this or not because as you will see if you watch it...my game play is quite embarrassing

Every single inning I got to the table I made a mistake. Whether it was bad ball pattern running or scratching or whatever the case was, I just played bad. I can look at everything I did in this video and comment on what I should have done, but it's pretty obvious most times so I will refrain from doing so.

I am sure I was a little nervous playing one of the best players in the world but I was really hoping to at least show him a little bit of what I was capable of but I failed this time... (maybe next year!)

I was happy to at least have this video clip from our match because that's worth the entry fee to me (being able to play some of the best players in the world) so I thought I might as well share it with you all so you can see how bad I really play.
                    I was really pullin' for ya Chris, but when I saw the first round draw I warned these guys around here not to get too optimistic.

Comment

I'm sure you want to hear from me so....

I aim by focusing on a target point on the OB. That brief pause allows me to heighten my focus and hold it on that point through the final stroke. If you use a different aiming method, that wouldn't apply.

In your case, I'd suggest that if you try the pause and can't make it feel right, try simply slowing down the tempo on your last few practice strokes, and the final stroke. A lot of people play very well with a stroke similar to yours, but I think you're a little too fast.

Comment

Starting from a pause, there's a higher likelihood of following through, which prevents a poke or jab. What's the point of following through? Accuracy.

~Doc

Comment

Honestly it's not something I consciously developed. For me it is "zeroing in" for my final stroke, so I agree it is about concentrating. I have no idea if it helps me or not, but I fee like it does.
                          Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

I can only speak for myself here, but first, it relaxes me especially in situations where u are nervous on a shot and in fact I had a couple a few days ago where I gave a guy 10 to 1 in a race to 5 8 ball and I hadn't slept much so I wasn't shooting my normal crisp game-- first 2 games I accidentally drop the 8 ball and he runs out the next so now I'm down 3-0 with a bunch of my dough on the line-- now he's feeling confident, so I have to bear down-- I ended up winning 5-3 but I had a lot of tough shots from playing bad position and I was able to make them under pressure and that pause stroke helps-- also I feel it gives me a much more accurate hit ......

Comment

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                              I'm sure you want to hear from me so....

I aim by focusing on a target point on the OB. That brief pause allows me to heighten my focus and hold it on that point through the final stroke. If you use a different aiming method, that wouldn't apply.

In your case, I'd suggest that if you try the pause and can't make it feel right, try simply slowing down the tempo on your last few practice strokes, and the final stroke. A lot of people play very well with a stroke similar to yours, but I think you're a little too fast.
                              I like to hear from anyone who takes the time to give me their opinions / advice - Don't short change yourself John, you bring a lot of value to these forums!

I do slow down and maybe even stop sometimes during an aiming session but to do it right before the stroke seems like it will take some practice. I am going to try to slow down especially the last few to see if it hones me in any better, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X