5 rack challenge...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Jersey Red's break...

Split the top two and swing the CB tight outta the corner, long rail short rail back into the balls.... Use inside draw to get to the long rail without scratching...medium speed...

Red explained this method would almost always provide an opening shot... When shooting the 5 rack challenge, it's imperative to get an opening shot all 5 times... Give it a try...

If memory serves, he would bet against 28 for anybody, but would shoot at 27 himself... Of course, no ball in hand...

I would guess that on today's equipment the very top players of today would beat up on that 28 number... I might bet against them going to 38 though....:)

That sounds like a good break Jeff, I will have to try that one..

I think someone stated in a different thread a while back that some of the top pros shoot at mid 40's. I really want to bet against anyone shooting at 45+ with no ball in hand. If they can do it, they deserve my money...

(now that I think about it, I think they may have even been shooting at a higher number, that's just insane!)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
That sounds like a good break Jeff, I will have to try that one..

I think someone stated in a different thread a while back that some of the top pros shoot at mid 40's. I really want to bet against anyone shooting at 45+ with no ball in hand. If they can do it, they deserve my money...

(now that I think about it, I think they may have even been shooting at a higher number, that's just insane!)

45? Average 9? I'd have to bet the don't also kid... No way that can be done consistently... I'd get busted betting against it on a tight Diamond.... :)

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Sorry I missed this year's event. Looks like everyone had a blast.

Curious if this challenge or anything of the like ended up happening?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Sorry I missed this year's event. Looks like everyone had a blast.

Curious if this challenge or anything of the like ended up happening?

Not while i was there. The only real group thing i saw was a captains game with Steve collecting all the other guys 20 dollar bills...

Pogue

Well-Known-Member
From
Mainz, Germany
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but this is relevant to the single greatest rack of pool I have ever witnessed.

Jay Helfert "trapped" a couple of pros with this prop bet somewhere around 2012-2013 at DCC, and I am not sure what the number they had to run to was, but Jay was offering something like 5-1 on the money, and I walked up to the TV table as Pagulayan was on his 4th rack out of 5...

Pags blows his fourth rack getting stuck behind the stack, and now needs ALL FIFTEEN balls to win the prop bet!

You could tell that Alex knew he was in a stone cold trap, but was gonna give it his very best... He breaks the final rack, and gets on a ball.

Wait.. It gets better. Right after the break, Pagulayan gets called for his 9 ball match, so, he now knows he's "on the clock".

Pagulayan then proceeds to run completely out in the single most incredible rack of pool I have ever seen in my 20+ years of playing and watching pro matches, both live and on video. He made at least 5 "highlight" shots in this run, including a twist bank on a ball that was about 4 inches off the side rail, uptable on the second diamond, with Alex shooting basically out of his "opponent's" pocket.

CB zips back and forth across table like three times, and drops onto a 60 degree cut shot to his pocket, followed by an off-angle combo, that if he makes it, sets him up to get all the way out. Alex exhibited super tight pinching and holding position patterns, and by the time he gets down to the last 3-4 balls, he's already starting to talk a little bit of smack!!

Jay was a little bit hot, to say the least, because I am pretty sure Alex wiped out all profits that Jay had made on this prop bet at Derby, but I am pretty sure that nowadays, he acknowledges how truly great of a runout he was witness to, and it was worth the cost he had to pay, and besides, he can afford it!

Jay and I were the only two witnesses to this runout, and to see Alex step up under the extreme pressure of needing all 15 balls, AND being called for his match, was simply a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, the cameras weren't running, so this rack will only be remembered by me, Jay, and Alex... :-(

Short Bus Russ

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but this is relevant to the single greatest rack of pool I have ever witnessed.

Jay Helfert "trapped" a couple of pros with this prop bet somewhere around 2012-2013 at DCC, and I am not sure what the number they had to run to was, but Jay was offering something like 5-1 on the money, and I walked up to the TV table as Pagulayan was on his 4th rack out of 5...

Pags blows his fourth rack getting stuck behind the stack, and now needs ALL FIFTEEN balls to win the prop bet!

You could tell that Alex knew he was in a stone cold trap, but was gonna give it his very best... He breaks the final rack, and gets on a ball.

Wait.. It gets better. Right after the break, Pagulayan gets called for his 9 ball match, so, he now knows he's "on the clock".

Pagulayan then proceeds to run completely out in the single most incredible rack of pool I have ever seen in my 20+ years of playing and watching pro matches, both live and on video. He made at least 5 "highlight" shots in this run, including a twist bank on a ball that was about 4 inches off the side rail, uptable on the second diamond, with Alex shooting basically out of his "opponent's" pocket.

CB zips back and forth across table like three times, and drops onto a 60 degree cut shot to his pocket, followed by an off-angle combo, that if he makes it, sets him up to get all the way out. Alex exhibited super tight pinching and holding position patterns, and by the time he gets down to the last 3-4 balls, he's already starting to talk a little bit of smack!!

Jay was a little bit hot, to say the least, because I am pretty sure Alex wiped out all profits that Jay had made on this prop bet at Derby, but I am pretty sure that nowadays, he acknowledges how truly great of a runout he was witness to, and it was worth the cost he had to pay, and besides, he can afford it!

Jay and I were the only two witnesses to this runout, and to see Alex step up under the extreme pressure of needing all 15 balls, AND being called for his match, was simply a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, the cameras weren't running, so this rack will only be remembered by me, Jay, and Alex... :-(

Short Bus Russ

I've always said if those slow players would speed up a little they'd play better.