5 rack challenge...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I thought it might be a fun thing to do in between matches if we are not playing Golf on the 6 x 12 all the time... It's a kinda keep in stroke, or get in stroke thing...

Cost is $5.00 per attempt... All the money goes into one pot, you get Unlimited tries over the course of the tournament, each costing $5.00, right up until the finals of the one pocket, or whatever time is set at the start of the contest...

It's the old 5 rack one pocket challenge... Rules are very simple, Ball in hand anywhere in the kitchen and you break open the rack and play the CB wherever it stops... Run as many balls as you can for that rack and repeat this 5 times and add up all the balls you made in the 5 racks... If you scratch on the break, that rack is done and you subtract 1 from your total at the end of your 5 racks...Every miss, and every scratch ends that rack and for every scratch a ball must be deducted from the overall total... Highest total ball count made in your pre break designated pocket for the 5 racks gets the whole pot...winner take all...

I'm good for probably 10 tries at the cash...( $50.00 for those of you who ran out of toes and fingers) Anybody else think they can run a few balls?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I thought it might be a fun thing to do in between matches if we are not playing Golf on the 6 x 12 all the time... It's a kinda keep in stroke, or get in stroke thing...

Cost is $5.00 per attempt... All the money goes into one pot, you get Unlimited tries over the course of the tournament, each costing $5.00, right up until the finals of the one pocket, or whatever time is set at the start of the contest...

It's the old 5 rack one pocket challenge... Rules are very simple, Ball in hand anywhere in the kitchen and you break open the rack and play the CB wherever it stops... Run as many balls as you can for that rack and repeat this 5 times and add up all the balls you made in the 5 racks... If you scratch on the break, that rack is done and you subtract 1 from your total at the end of your 5 racks...Every miss, and every scratch ends that rack and for every scratch a ball must be deducted from the overall total... Highest total ball count made in your pre break designated pocket for the 5 racks gets the whole pot...winner take all...

I'm good for probably 10 tries at the cash...( $50.00 for those of you who ran out of toes and fingers) Anybody else think they can run a few balls?

Jeff, just my opinion...but I believe in eliminating luck whenever possible - I like skill deciding things...that said...

I think ball in hand after the break is better - then everybody starts out with a fair chance each rack...rather than just by chance people being snookered by a ball after their break with no shot, this resulting in killing their 5 rack total.

Also I think a 1st & 2nd split of the pot might get more entries.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
if people on this forum play the way i think they do, it will take over 50 balls to get the cash......

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I still remember the first time I was introduced to the 5 rack game..started shooting at 13, then 11, then went bust on 9 ha!

So I may throw a chance or two at it but when not in the tourney I hope to be playing some golf, 3 cushion and one hole.

Now, if its ball in hand after the break like ghost suggested, I can see 40's winning it. If it's not I think it will be 33-37 that will win.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I still remember the first time I was introduced to the 5 rack game..started shooting at 13, then 11, then went bust on 9 ha!

So I may throw a chance or two at it but when not in the tourney I hope to be playing some golf, 3 cushion and one hole.

Now, if its ball in hand after the break like ghost suggested, I can see 40's winning it. If it's not I think it will be 33-37 that will win.

I'll be your 3 cushion fish...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
5 rack challenge...

you may have to fight Mitch off if he shows but I will give it a whirl...

Nah you guys have fun. I'll be in 1p action or learning Golf on my free time. Sorry for the detail.

I will definitely take a few swings Jeff. Good idea 👍

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, just my opinion...but I believe in eliminating luck whenever possible - I like skill deciding things...that said...

I think ball in hand after the break is better - then everybody starts out with a fair chance each rack...rather than just by chance people being snookered by a ball after their break with no shot, this resulting in killing their 5 rack total.

Also I think a 1st & 2nd split of the pot might get more entries.[/QUOTE

Ghost,
I thought about making it ball in hand, but then I thought if someone put up a big number, it would discourage more entries and I wanted it to build a big pot for the winner. I brought it up now so people who might be interested in trying it could practice their break before the tournament... It's also a very good way to practice ball running in one pocket, so the time spent, wouldn't be wasted...

I don't mind the ball in hand, it's totally fair, I just fear if that's the way we end up contesting it, it will be a high number which will discourage people from trying it...

The split idea is cool with me, that would definitely encourage more contestants. Truth be told, it shouldn't be about the money really, we are among friends and I wouldn't object to splitting it up 4 ways, like 40/30/20/10 especially if enough people give it a try, it could build a nice little pot...

There is usually a lot of dead time in between matches, and I hate just banging balls around... Always needed to have an opponent to concentrate enough for it to matter... Anyway, I thought this might be a good way to practice and stay warm for your next match and a fun thing to do since we could rib the contestants when they scored poorly...:lol you know, like if you only ran 41 with ball in hand, I'd be laughing my ass off...:). Either way is cool with me if we get enough people interested...

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Jeff I think this is a great idea. If I can make it I will surely make a sizeable donation chasing my tail.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff I think this is a great idea. If I can make it I will surely make a sizeable donation chasing my tail.

I gotta believe you would will have a high score Ben, you could win it...

And Thanks, I believe if it catches on, it could be an annual thing because wherever the tournament is played from year to year, there will be 9 footers to contest it on... I know it won't rival the golf that's gonna be played this year, but there won't be a 6 x 12 available every year...

I'm looking forward to donating a little money at both games this year and spending some time playing fellow members also... It all sounds like another good time...:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nah you guys have fun. I'll be in 1p action or learning Golf on my free time. Sorry for the detail.

I will definitely take a few swings Jeff. Good idea 👍

I was trying to escape the trap Mitch but you didn't save me! :)

I cant go to a pool room with a 3c table and snooker table and not play some on both of them. However, the majority of my time will also be focused on zee one hole....

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
5 rack challenge...

If you feel like an all day/night session for three days, Im you huckl...........

I don't know how you do it Bill, but I'm always game buddy! Just need a week of sleep after keeping up with you lol

chicagomike

Verified Member
Great idea Jeff! I also like the golf game which whenever I played years ago was a great opportunity for socializing and to really get screwed by someone or do the screwing. Lots of mixed emotions in that game. I'm really looking forward to seeing all you guys.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I am in for this...but I don't think we need ball in hand...just name your pocket and break...I can probably get 5 or 6 in 5 racks...

B

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I just want to thank Jeff and the rest of you guys for coming up with another way for me to steal some more money... I will make sure I go last that way you suckers load up the pot...lmfao