You are down 2 to -3 and bear trapped

youngstown

Verified Member
You are down 2 to -3. His pocket is the one with all the balls near it. Your pocket is marked by three pennies. WWYD?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
You are down 2 to -3. His pocket is the one with all the balls near it. Your pocket is marked by three pennies. WWYD?

You're down, but your opponent left you too close to the action and too far off the rail!

I'm hitting that 14 almost straight on and putting all my focus on a very thin nip on the left edge of the 12 ball to get safe/shape. This shot has, to my eye, a good chance to reverse the game.

If that doesn't lay quite right, then I'm going at the 12 ball and 3-4 railing the cue ball behind the 11. Despite all the balls, that path is pretty open.

But I lean strongly towards my first option.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I like coming off the 1 behind the 11, or pocketing the 6 and rolling behind the 11. The aggressive shot that I see is banking the 2 with some inside and going 3 rails with the cb actually looks like the cb will split the 1 and 10.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
There a several replies here, all with varying levels of risk if not executed well.

There appears to be room to lag between the 5 and 6 and get behind the 11. Enough speed to get some spin is needed, risk hitting the or 6 or failing to get spin an going past the 11.

Bank the 14 with some RHE hoping to get the CB on the side rail at the risk of leaving CB too far off the rail.

The shot I like is coming off the 4 to get behind the 6. This offers the most room for error and least risk

All these shots are going to result in opponent probable banking the 1 straightback and leaving you uptable. Your response from there will most likely be banking the 9 and holding the CB there (hopefully moving balls to your side.

How bout that complicated strategery, huh?:eek::sorry

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I like coming off the 1 behind the 11, or pocketing the 6 and rolling behind the 11. The aggressive shot that I see is banking the 2 with some inside and going 3 rails with the cb actually looks like the cb will split the 1 and 10.

This is the 1st shot I saw and I really didn't look beyond it...I like banking the 1 ball over to my long rail and putting the CB under and behind the 11...I'll take my chances and play it from there...

youngstown

Verified Member
You are down 2 to -3 and bear trapped

Guess it wasn't a bear trap after all. It sure looks like you could squeeze thru the 5 and 6, but I sure didn't see that at the time. Nor the shot off the 1. Maybe I just had a mental meltdown and was panicking or something...hmmm

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Guess it wasn't a bear trap after all. It sure looks like you could squeeze thru the 5 and 6, but I sure didn't see that at the time. Nor the shot off the 1. Maybe I just had a mental meltdown and was panicking or something...hmmm

Assuming you can't come off the 1ball nor shoot between the 5 and 6ball the shot I like is Kybank's suggestion on pocketing the 6ball and following behind the 11ball. However, you are down 2 to -3 so that option may not be too appealing to many so the shot that I would strongly consider is banking the 12ball into the balls near my pocket near the foot rail and travel three rails around table and dropping behind the 11ball. There looks tro be a fairly large area to drop the cue ball in providing the angle is suitable for that option.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
looks like there is room to roll soft between the 5 and 6.

This.

I am slow rolling between the 5 and 6, hitting the long rail and trying to get right under the 11 froze on the bottom rail.

He is in serious trouble from here. Get there and you just turned the game around.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Assuming you can't come off the 1ball nor shoot between the 5 and 6ball the shot I like is Kybank's suggestion on pocketing the 6ball and following behind the 11ball. However, you are down 2 to -3 so that option may not be too appealing to many so the shot that I would strongly consider is banking the 12ball into the balls near my pocket near the foot rail and travel three rails around table and dropping behind the 11ball. There looks tro be a fairly large area to drop the cue ball in providing the angle is suitable for that option.

Dr. Bill

I'm glad to see at least one other person would like to turn the tables and move some balls over!

That said, if you can really get between the 5 and 6, that's probably wiser. Otherwise, I'm playing the 14 or 12.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm glad to see at least one other person would like to turn the tables and move some balls over!

That said, if you can really get between the 5 and 6, that's probably wiser. Otherwise, I'm playing the 14 or 12.

Playing off the 14ball is good providing you use the 5ball to hide the 4ball. When playing off the 14ball you cannot hit this shot with much power because the shot must be executed to follow the cue ball precisely to the long rail and not much further running the risk of selling out the 6ball. Equally as important you must hide the return bank on the 4ball by using the 5ball as a blocker, this option will buy a little time and possibly nudge a ball closer to your pocket representing a threat which would put restrictions on your opponents next move.

Dr. Bill

1pwannabe

Verified Member
This is the 1st shot I saw and I really didn't look beyond it...I like banking the 1 ball over to my long rail and putting the CB under and behind the 11...I'll take my chances and play it from there...

To me this is the only shot that makes sense. You must get a ball on your side to stop any up-table traps by him, and since it's going to take some time to work yourself out of this horrible position, this is the first positive step towards that goal.

If you get whitey really locked down behind that 11, you will get an even better shot next time to improve your position.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
if you have the mindset that there is no trap that you cant escape from, then getting out of this situation is easy, with lots of good options......you cant let your opponent mentally defeat you..... you lose on execution? well, thats a whole other story......

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Playing off the 14ball is good providing you use the 5ball to hide the 4ball. When playing off the 14ball you cannot hit this shot with much power because the shot must be executed to follow the cue ball precisely to the long rail and not much further running the risk of selling out the 6ball. Equally as important you must hide the return bank on the 4ball by using the 5ball as a blocker, this option will buy a little time and possibly nudge a ball closer to your pocket representing a threat which would put restrictions on your opponents next move.

Dr. Bill

Bill,
Looking at the 12 ball shot... The 12 appears to be laying lower than the CB, so in order to get the CB to travel around the table, it's gonna take some low right hand draw and a bit more speed than I would be willing to risk for fear of driving a ball or two back across into his pocket quadrant... the shot could work out well though, with a very good CB and no bad luck...

I just liked moving the 1 ball over and dropping in under the 11, pretty bad spot for him if I get the CB there... easy to control since it's about 98% CB, no need to concentrate on anything but CB speed...

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

If you shoot the 14, I'm thinking to hit the 12 with the cueball and get behind the 6/11, so you can put some pace on it.