FBI reopens Mike Surber murder case!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vapros View Post
    They certainly had dna capability in 2009 - I wonder if they got a profile on this guy. Mike's house, Mike's car, etc. It seems likely that he has left the country. I wonder if Interpol has his picture.
    I guess we'd have to know why Doc thought they were talking to him again, but my first thought was that they had run video with a facial-recognition software program, or possibly even iris scan, and had some possible hits. Both of those are a lot more sophisticated now than they were 8 years ago.

Did you get any clues Doc?

Comment

What a nice guy and great player he was. I played him once back in 2007 (I think) in Springfield, VA. I knew I was up against a 'player' the moment he got down and stroked his first shot. I was in a bad game and made sure I let the person who brought him in know that I knew. But I was pocketing balls particularly well back then and wanted to see how I would fare. Long story short, I never missed a ball and managed to win the last of four games we played. That's how well he shot and moved. We were playing for $50/game. I was in dead stroke after that for several weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyA View Post
        What are the chances of you contacting the two FBI agents and asking about an update on this case.

Thanks,
        joeyA
        Good suggestion, Joey. I'll call the one agent to see if there have been any nibbles. I'm sure they can't discuss details, but they might offer a hint as to whether or not they're on to something.

The problem from the get-go is that there were only poor pictures of the suspect to begin with. So photo ID is extremely difficult. Still, they do have DNA, so if they ever get a suspect in hand, then they can firm up the ID that way.

~Doc

Comment

I just spoke with the secondary agent on the case. He said to check the FBI's cold case posting on their website, which has been featured recently:

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/michael-surber

This page can be shared with anyone, especially to our friends in the pool community. There's even a printable poster for download.

He said that they do have DNA evidence, and that it is in line at Quantico to be re-examined with newer cutting edge techniques. There is a tremendous backlog.

I'll get ahold of the lead agent in Gulfport when he's available to see if he can share anything further. But this is definitely a re-activated cold case.

~Doc

Comment

most prisons have taken dna samples so this guy must be in their data pool.
            they will get a name when they get around to spending the time and money on it.

Comment

It has been a long time but I hope that this guy is caught and justice is served.

Comment

was there a gun or bullet casings?

If so, the gun may have come up in another investigation.

Comment

No, Mike was murdered with a knife.

Comment

if no gun or bullets, then they must have a new witness

Probably someone who was arrested for a felony has offered information on the Surber case in exchange for a promise of leniency.

Comment

Touch DNA

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nbenet-ramsey/

Comment

Good article, Joe. In this case I believe they got the DNA material from a cigarette butt. Mike didn't smoke, so they knew that it was the suspect's.

~Doc

Comment

Many cold cases are being reopened with touch DNA reprocessing the clothes of the victim. It's just a function of funding to do the tests. In 2014, I had a cold case from 1987 that was reopened with a grant for DNA testing. Now we see reprocessing the evidence using touch DNA techniques. The testing has become cheaper, allowing for much more testing. Many previously cold cases are being relooked at.

Comment

FBI reopens Mike Surber murder case!

Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

They believe the person of interest is working in the area. Stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                              X