2006 One Pocket HOF call for nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 One Pocket HOF call for nominations

It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 3rd annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last two years we have elected fifteen well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Danny Di Liberto * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner *

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next group of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In early November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 3rd annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
    2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
    3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that you do not have to be a tournament player to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket, and guys that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 3rd annual One Pocket Hall of Fame legends dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 9th during this coming Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Last year’s event sold out early, and many people were turned away, so make your reservations early!

Moved JD Dolan's post

Originally posted by J.D. Dolan
    I'd like to sugget a six people for consideration for the One Pocket Hall of Fame.

The first three I'd like to nominate are people who have contributed a great deal to the popularity and appreciation of one pocket.

They are:

Eddie Robin. Eddie is the author of Winning One Pocket, and Shots, Moves, & Strategies. These are still the best books to date on the game of one pocket, and they introduced us to many fine players.

Greg Sullivan. Greg is the owner of Diamond Billiard Products, and the guy who dreamed up the Derby City Classic and made it a reality. Without Greg Sullivan, there would be no Derby City Classic.

Scott Smith. Scott is the tournament director for the Derby City Classic, and his personality (and intelligence, humor, and patience, etc.) are a big part of why the Derby City Classic is, in my opinion, the greatest tournament ever.

The next three are players who have contributed to the game through their outstanding ability, and through their dedication to the game of one pocket.

They are:

Scott Frost: A U.S. Open champion, and always a contender at the DCC--or anywhere.

Cliff Joyner: A U.S. Open Champion, a DCC champion. A champion, period.

Shannon Daulton: Probably the youngest person to win a major one pocket championship, and a young guy who's been playing and winning longer than many of the old guys in the game of one pocket.

These three men are relatively young, but they have proven themselves as champions. And they have, through their dedication and excellence, kept the game of one pocket thriving.

J.D.
    JD, I moved your post into the official nominations thread -- thanks for kicking this off!

Comment

I think Eddie Robin definitely deserves a nomination in the Teachers and Promoters category. He authored the one pocket "bibles".

It's time to move Buddy Hall in there. Great player. Won many 1P titles. His best pool is probably behind him at this point, so there's really no reason to wait. It's better to get the guys in while they're still alive, don't you think?

Arguably Cliff Joyner and Shannon Daulton are the two best 1P players competing today, who are not already in the HOF. They should make the nomination list.

Doc

Comment

I'd like to throw Jose Parica out there too. He's got a DCC title, and also won at Hard Times, Roanoke, the Capital City Classic, and other smaller events, not to mention being a renowned action guy.

Johnny Ervolino is also worth a mention, having won the Stardust twice, as is Mike Sigel, whose one pocket game was also excellent, although overshadowed by his accomplishments in 14.1 and 9-ball.

I agree with the nominations of JD and Doc, but I think Scott Frost's nomination is a bit early. Although he's one of the best out there now, he's still very young and a little less accomplished than the others.

Comment

2006 One Pocket HOF

I would like to nomonate #1. Marvin Henderson #2. Strawberry #3, Cliff Joyner

Comment

Originally posted by onepocket
            JD, I moved your post into the official nominations thread -- thanks for kicking this off!

Frost, Daulton & Joyner will be great names to add inna couple yrs. If Johnny Ervolino isnt deserving of a spot in the HOF, I'm a pygmie from Bora-Bora!! Parica is also VERY deserving of a HOF vote...maybe Al "New York Blackie" Bonifay!!
            Originally posted by fred bentivegna
            He tries so hard he puts fingerprints in the slate.

Comment

Let's keep the focus on 'One Pocket guys'

If you look through the names of the players currently in the One Pocket Hall of Fame, one universal fact jumps out -- every single one of them fully embraced the game of One Pocket virtually as soon as they ran into it. To put it another way, for them it has been a life-long relationship, not a handful of steamy affairs

Guys like Sigel, Rempe & Mizerak were great, great players, and sure they could play One Pocket, and even won a tournament here and there, but these are not the icons of our game, the ambassadors of the game that we want to be honoring in our Hall of Fame, IMO. We want the guys that have treated the game with the same longtime respect that we feel for this great game.

I'm much more excited about guys like Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks, who was a great player, who specialized in One Pocket, and who also promoted a couple of major tournaments for us back in the early 90's. Likewise, Jimmy Fusco, another lifelong addict of the game who was instrumental in helping Grady Mathews get the Legends of One Pocket tournaments started.

To a certain extent, I still put Buddy Hall kind of in the same category as Rempe, Miz & Sigel -- great players who will forever be known as among the very best -- at other games! For by far the bulk of his career, Buddy was a 9-Ball player, and seemed to avoid One Pocket. It is true he has come around over the last ten years, but I am not yet ready to see him overshadow guys that spent their whole careers in the One Pocket trenches, just my humble opinion.
              Last edited by NH Steve; 10-02-2006, 09:08 AM.
              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
              -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Eugene "Clem" Metz -- pretty sure he's still alive in Cincinnati
                Johnny Ervolino -- deceased
                Johnny "Irish" Lineen -- deceased, a killer from NYC
                Marvin Henderson -- deceased, a killer from Pittsburgh
                Jimmy Fusco -- still plays sporadically
                Melvin "Strawberry" Brooks --73 and living in DC
                Jose Parica -- still playing
                Allen Hopkins -- still playing
                Buddy Hall -- sorry NH Steve, this guy is a prime-time, all-time great one
                pocket player, I don't care what his game of choice was in the 70s
                Earl Heisler -- ?best ever from the deep south
                John "Rags" Fitzpatrick -- deceased
                Haydon Lingo -- deceased
                "Connecticut Johnny" Vives -- deceased
                Glen "Eufaula" Womack -- deceased, Squirrel and Grady have talked a lot
                about this player from the 40s

Two guys I've read about who died young but played as good as anyone:
                "Oakland Don" Decoy
                Robert "Big Nose Roberts" Rodman

Rudolph "Fats" Wanderone -- this guy helped bring this game from obscurity
                to big-time
                The Jansco brothers Paul and George

Comment

Originally posted by BackPocket9Ball
                  Eugene "Clem" Metz -- pretty sure he's still alive in Cincinnati
                  Johnny Ervolino -- deceased
                  Johnny "Irish" Lineen -- deceased, a killer from NYC
                  Marvin Henderson -- deceased, a killer from Pittsburgh
                  Jimmy Fusco -- still plays sporadically
                  Melvin "Strawberry" Brooks --73 and living in DC
                  Jose Parica -- still playing
                  Allen Hopkins -- still playing
                  Buddy Hall -- sorry NH Steve, this guy is a prime-time, all-time great one
                  pocket player, I don't care what his game of choice was in the 70s
                  Earl Heisler -- ?best ever from the deep south
                  John "Rags" Fitzpatrick -- deceased
                  Haydon Lingo -- deceased
                  "Connecticut Johnny" Vives -- deceased
                  Glen "Eufaula" Womack -- deceased, Squirrel and Grady have talked a lot
                  about this player from the 40s

Two guys I've read about who died young but played as good as anyone:
                  "Oakland Don" Decoy
                  Robert "Big Nose Roberts" Rodman

Rudolph "Fats" Wanderone -- this guy helped bring this game from obscurity
                  to big-time
                  The Jansco brothers Paul and George
                  Just for the record, Cleo Vaughn, was the best one pocket player from the deep south. Grady avoided, Mobile, AL. Ask him.
                  JMO,ICBW.............$Bill

Comment

question

Would it be possible to poll the current members of the 1pkt hall of fame and ask them who they think deserves a nomination?

Comment

Originally posted by NH Steve
                      We want the guys that have treated the game with the same longtime respect that we feel for this great game.
                      Point taken, Steve. It makes sense to get the early guys in: Lingo, Fitzpatrick, maybe Ervolino. I can't recall the name, but the guy who really got one-pocket going in the pre-WWII era would be a good candidate. I think Freddie was still in high school in those days...

The Jansco's ought to get consideration in the Teacher/Promoter category. Eddie Robin should go in at some point in the same category.

Doc

Comment

nomine's

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                        Point taken, Steve. It makes sense to get the early guys in: Lingo, Fitzpatrick, maybe Ervolino. I can't recall the name, but the guy who really got one-pocket going in the pre-WWII era would be a good candidate. I think Freddie was still in high school in those days...

The Jansco's ought to get consideration in the Teacher/Promoter category. Eddie Robin should go in at some point in the same category.

Doc
                        Granted, I haven't been around here much lately, been real busy. Any way.
                        There was a fellow out of San Antonio who played real good and was a great instructor named Banans Rodriguez {deceased}. Just my 2 cents worth. He moved about the country real well. I think Freddy is pretty familiar with him, as was Grady.

Comment

vote

Rags wife Cris is 81 and want's to show up this year. What do you think? Rags Fitzpatrick,he beat the best!

Comment

strawberry brooks

has to be
                            just think about it!

Comment

You would think Hayden Lingo would have to be in, since he is the one credited for inventing the game. Plus, Rags was very feared in his day. I believe Eddie Taylor said Rags was the best one pocket player he ever saw- that's good enough for me! I agree with others that it is way too early for Frost to be included in this group.

Comment

Working...
                              X