What is rule or opinion for this?

ace9ball

Cue ball and object ball are both about 1/2 inch from foot rail,and about one inch apart. They are facing opponents pocket. Shot is into ball and rail with hit being very hard to determine whether object ball or rail was hit first. Cue ball is now frozen to rail and object ball is off rail and a hair away from cue ball. I believe hit has to be good, since cue ball is now frozen to rail, which means it got to rail after hitting object ball. Any opinions on this?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
It's possible for the cue ball to hit the rail first and stop frozen to the rail, but very unlikely. I would call good hit. As you said, if rail was hit first it is more likely that the cue ball leaves the rail and then returns frozen, if the ball was hit first there is no question. The bigger question is whether or not the player "pinned" the cue ball to the rail, which would be a foul (double hit).

Did anyone pull weapons trying to figure who was right? lol

Dave

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Cue ball and object ball are both about 1/2 inch from foot rail,and about one inch apart. They are facing opponents pocket. Shot is into ball and rail with hit being very hard to determine whether object ball or rail was hit first. Cue ball is now frozen to rail and object ball is off rail and a hair away from cue ball. I believe hit has to be good, since cue ball is now frozen to rail, which means it got to rail after hitting object ball. Any opinions on this?

Unless shooter missed the OB completely. If you saw OB move, then I would agree it was a good hit.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think the general referee practice is to give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter in situations like this where it is too hard to determine exactly which was contacted first, ball or rail or simultaneous.

Wayne

Verified Member

I would say that is a good hit 100% of the time if the only question is whether you got a rail after contact with the object ball. You hit the object ball and the cueball is frozen on the rail so it doesn't matter if you hit the rail first or not.

There is no possible way someone could say you didn't get a rail if the cueball is frozen to the rail.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I would say good hit since it would be too hard to call. But my question is what is the incoming player going to do since the cue ball is now frozen.

Does the cue ball have to go to another rail or can he hit the object ball and take the cue ball back to the same rail?

Wayne

Verified Member
I would say good hit since it would be too hard to call. But my question is what is the incoming player going to do since the cue ball is now frozen.

Does the cue ball have to go to another rail or can he hit the object ball and take the cue ball back to the same rail?

Yes he can hit the object ball and bring it back to the same rail.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There isn't a scenario that would logically explain that the hit wasn't good.
Rail, then ball, cue ball frozen..legal
Ball first cue ball frozen..legal
Ball and rail simultaneous cue ball frozen..legal

Any other possibilities? :confused:

Dr. Bill

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Ball and rail simultaneous cue ball frozen..legal
Is this for sure? I've always heard "contact a rail after contacting an OB".

Not disputing, just wondering. Probably too close to call, so would go to the shooter either way.

pj
chgo